Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sky HD box problems – speculation welcome !
  • scaredypants

our sky box is playing up

began this afternoon by locking up when the pause button was pressed, now pretty much won’t do anything – will not show any live or recorded pictures and won’t play sound

it boots up (v slowly though) and will display the EPG and all the setup screens etc, and will show the list of recorded programmes. Both signal streams are OK according to the setup page.

Won’t produce image via HDMI or scart

I did the reload software thing and will try to copy off all the stuff on the disc (assuming copy+ still exists) and then do a full reset but what’s likely wrong with the box ?

Disc failing ? (sounds quite likely but would that explain the live images failing as well

Madame Pants is cross as Eastenders is what makes her life worthwhile 😕

Heyulp !

scaredypants

oh, and does anyone know if copy+ will let me use a virtual disc ?

johndoh
    Free Member

Sky is helping make her life more worthwhile.

sharkbait
    Free Member

How old is the box? When our old Thompson box (prob 6 years old now) started acting up it turned out to be the capacitors which were failing, replaced hem with new ones and it was fixed. Sorry for not being more help.

br
    Free Member

Call up Sky?

gonzy
    Free Member

maybe the software needs updating….if so switch the box to standby and then switch the tv off. unplug the box at the mains and then press down on the back up button on the box. while pressing down the back up button, plug the socket back into the mains…make sure you keep the back up button pressed down while doing this then keep it pressed down until you see all the lights come on at the front of the box…when this happens let the button go and then switch the tv back on….you should see a message appear saying that the box is performing a software upload…leave the box to do this while you go make a brew…it takes around 10 minutes and then should be fine…if not ring SKY

EDIT: i see you’ve already done the software thing…try it again…i had to do 2 of them to get my box working properly again

monkey_boy
    Free Member

as above, did this on mine and its fine now

Rockape63
    Free Member

I did all those things and mine still wouldn’t work, so they replaced it with a new one for nothing!

scaredypants

thanks (almost 😉 ) everyone

just copying off the recordings prior to fully resetting the thing

if that doesn’t work, I think it’s Humax for me 👿

Drac

When mine has done that it’s because the hard drive is full up, deleting the crap the wife and kids record sorts that out.

scaredypants

it was the recent James Bond anniversary that buggered ours then, drac 😳

chuffnuts

If it’s a Thompson box then it will more than likely be a power supply failure of some sort. I personally wouldn’t go the Humax route, I have had many customers go down this route. Not one lasted with it for more than 6 months. Sky has the best user interface by a mile.

elliott-20
    Free Member

My first thought is power supply unit capacitors but depends on the box model.

Open the box and see if they’re bulging.

Linky

gonzy
    Free Member

if you’re going to delete stuff make sure you permanently delete stuff off the deleted list…that might help

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sky HD box problems – speculation welcome !’ is closed to new replies.