Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sky hd being installed next weekend – hdmi cable?
  • fadda

As above, having hd installed next weekend. Anyone know if they give you an hdmi cable, or do I need to get one?
    TIA

bigG
    Free Member

I got one with the new digi box when i had it installed, not sure if it’s great quality but it sure does the job..

Liftman

Comes with one, installer will connect it up and test everything works.

Liftman

Note hdmi cable can be any quality it’s a digital signal it either works or doesn’t

fadda

Thanks for the answers, and liftman – good shout; it’s tempting for a numpty like me to assume “expensive” equates to “better”

sparkyrhino

If you are taking the full sky pakage i.e b.b phone,tv ,get the sky bloke to run an extension ,from phone master socket so you can connect your hd box to internet then you can take advantage of anytime +. Its free and guaranteed to put a smile on the sky installers face. Enjoy

unovolo
    Free Member

“Sparky” do you work for sky? Sounds like you might ,either that or you know that phone lines are our pet hate.
    Regards the OP,s original question the bog standard one will be in the box and is more than adequate for a standard install, unless your Tv is going to be over a metre away from your skybox,if so then you will need to purchase a longer one as the standard Sky one won’t reach.

nealglover
    Free Member

I got the Wireless bridge instead of running cables from the phone line to the sky box.

Far easier and works perfectly.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

as above they will set it all up for you, +1 for the hdmi cable myth , cheap v expensive no difference.

unovolo
    Free Member

Definetly better to go wireless if you can ,I know I would not want phone lines and Ethernet cable running round skirting boards and door frames in my house especially when wireless options are available for a little extra outlay.

highclimber
    Free Member

we got one from amazon for 30p, works perfectly! expensive cables are a pointless waste of money regardless of what the salesperson says!

winston_dog
    Free Member

If you don’t buy one of these then it’s a waste of time getting a new TV.

Audioquest

winston_dog
    Free Member

Try again!

Audioquest

Still not working!

sparkyrhino

Wireless not suitable for everyone,if you have poor bb ,a power line adaptor could be another solution ,and nope i dont work for sky, if the pet hate is phone lines i wont mention who i work for. 🙄

mudpup
    Free Member

I think Best Buy are now closed

Cougar

As an aside, if you’re hooking up to an amp, the Sky HD only outputs (encoded) stereo audio over HDMI. With a surround system you need to run a separate digital audio connection.

unovolo
    Free Member

Wireless not suitable for everyone,if you have poor bb ,a power line adaptor could be another solution ,and nope i dont work for sky, if the pet hate is phone lines i wont mention who i work for.

Must be Bt then 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got loads of HDMI cables hooking up various things, and I completely agree that the expensive ones don’t offer me any better picture/sound (it’s astonishing to see £120 cables being recommended to people in shops when they buy expensive TVs).

One thing I will say though, I’ve bought a couple of really cheap ones in the past and I’ve had problems with the build quality (e.g. the casing round the connectors falling apart). For that reason I’ve stuck to the ones that have the rubber style case coverings rather than really flimsy looking hard plastic ones – they seem to stand up to a bit more abuse (like constantly unplugging from a laptop, kids playing with them or accidentally standing on them etc!).

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I bought this one and have convinced myself its better than the one that came from Sky…

Amazon link

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sky hd being installed next weekend – hdmi cable?’ is closed to new replies.