Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • sky hd
  • jedi

has anyones menu channged. i upgraded from sky+ and its was the same menu as before until this morning………. or have i done something to it

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

it takes anything up to 72 hours to update to the new software, make sure you have it connected to the phone line too

jedi

why connect to phone line?

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

you'd be surprised, updates get done over night and you need the phone line plugged in for that

also if you don't have it connected to a phone line it can play havoc with your bill

jedi

why havoc with my bill? i have had sky for yonks but never plugged in to phone line

scaredypants

It can't call back home & tell em what you watch if you don't plug in the phone

(it's a condition of the contract in 1st 12 months I think)

jedi

bloke who installed it just put the box in and thats it

john_drummer
    Free Member

the TV Guide has recently changed.

I didn't like the new style, for about 30 seconds, until I got used to it. Now I much prefer it

There should be a mini-screen in the top right corner showing what you're currently watching, but when you pick a new channel, it changes to preview the new channel. Press <select> again to go full screen with the new channel. Favourites = yellow; page up / page down are now the Ch +/- buttons.

jedi

yeah thats it

Drac

Utter shite about the phone line never had mine connected now for about 10 years no billing problems and updates fine. Could be you've just got the new guide mine only updated the other week.

jedi

cheers drac

jwt
    Free Member

You've had the latest version of the sky planner install,it looks a bit more flash than the Sky+/Sky versions.
    Useful things,you can turn off the mini tv screen while your on the planner page, and you can get the planner to highlight the HD shows that are actually filmed/recorded in HD (surprisingly few on some channels!), but it means you can now recieve ITV HD,follow the LINK and then take the step by step guide, and its free!

scaredypants

the phone line thing isn't complete bollocks – you can't watch pay-per-view etc without it (I think)

jedi

i dont watch any ppv

scaredypants

me neither 😳 😉

(from their website):
    "General: Pre-registration required for existing customers due to exceptional demand. Once registered you will receive an indication of when you can complete your order. Your Sky box(es) must be connected to a fixed telephone line for 12 months."
    We were told that this applies for 1st year of an uprgade to HD, dunno if it really matters but they rang us up once & asked me to check the connection as the machine had failed to phone home

Drac

the phone line thing isn't complete bollocks – you can't watch pay-per-view etc without it (I think)

Far from the same as you must have it connected.

Yeah I was told when I first got sky it had to be plugged in for 12 months, I removed it as soon as the engineer left, same with digi upgrade and the same with HD upgrade not had any problems.

waynekerr
    Free Member

My nephew called to get sky installed but was told it must be connected to a phone line or they could not install it, he said, "but I don't have a phone line", she said "oh well that's ok then we can still install it".

I have never had mine connected to a phone line either.

snakebite
    Free Member

my HD menu changed couple of weeks ago, confused the nipper for a while as his sequence for Drake and Josh and Spongebob wentout of the window. Its fine though, prefer it now. I keep my phone line on cos I do watch box office filums which can be booked via remote rathe rthan via phone and the small charge Sky put on for manual. Also, the boxing….

Flaperon

Never had our phone line connected and got the new guide and updates regardless.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Had the new EPG (menu) for about 6 months and the box is never plugged in to the phoneline. I did buy our HD box on ebay about 2 years ago though as a straight plugin replacement for the Sky + box.
    AFAIK if you get the box from Sky you start a new contract and theoretically you need to be plugged in to the phone – but not for updates, just usage data is sent to sky (which they then sell).

uplink
    Free Member

Agreeing to having a phone line connected is conditional to get the subsidised price for the box
    Whether or not they actually check & do anything about it seems to be fairly slim – although I do know of one guy who got charged extra after un-plugging it.

software updates are over the satellite – the phone line would take forever for most of them

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘sky hd’ is closed to new replies.