Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sky dish garden installation?
  • smogmonster

Anyone had this done? My house is listed, and frankly i cant be arsed going through the planning people. I hear rumours that i can have the dish installed in my garden instead, so that it isnt attached to the house. Has anyone had this done? Any problems if so? How did you go about booking it – independent or Sky installer? Im loath to ring Sky as im sure they’ll try to con me or tell me it cant be done, but im all for whatever will cost me least.

So, experiences please.

ton

as long as you have line of sight it should be ok.
    are you a a existing customer?

uplink
    Free Member

Done loads of dishes in gardens due to local planning regs etc – mainly 1m+ stuff for financial whizz kids/brokers who work at home but it’s all the same

the bird is 32000K up in the sky, a few more feet won’t make any difference

EDIT: you’ll usually need a ground mount [Ton will get you one] and something to bolt it to, a paving slab is often used

baldSpot
    Free Member

I have 120cm dish in the back garden. Its attached to a pole which I cemented into the ground. Installed it last November and its never given me any problems.

The only PITA is running the cable from the dish to the house.

sam_underhill

I’ve got mine ~40m from where the cable comes into the house. Did it myself though (with help from a friend with a dish aligning / signal thing-a-me-bob).

I went for an 80cm dish as this gives you more signal strength along the cable. Remember if you use an amplifier instead you might just be amplifying noise.
    Also used thicker cable (WF125) to minimise signal loss on the longer cable run. You need to connect this to the regular WF100 to connect to the box though as it doesn’t like tight turns. You might need WF100 at the dish connection as well if using a small dish with tighter cable turns.

But the actual dish is mounted on a scaffold pole concreted into the ground.

My freesat box says 100% quality and 100% strength on any channel.

smogmonster

Not an existing customer – used to be until i moved into the current house. I went with BTVision to avoid the dish hassle, but i miss the HD stuff, so want a HD Multiroom installation.

uplink
    Free Member

I went for an 80cm dish as this gives you more signal strength along the cable. Remember if you use an amplifier instead you might just be amplifying noise.
    Also used thicker cable (WF125) to minimise signal loss on the longer cable run. You need to connect this to the regular WF100 to connect to the box though as it doesn’t like tight turns. You might need WF100 at the dish connection as well if using a small dish with tighter cable turns.

Not sure I’d feel the need for 125 cable over 100 on that cable run with a 80cm dish in most of the UK

Depending on the freq you’ll be losing around 25db with 100 and 20db with 125 over 100m
    By the time you add in all the connectors for the WF100 fly leads you used, you’ll be about even or possibly a deficit over just running 100

sam_underhill

I agree, I was undecided on the “need” for 125 cable. But, the cable was to be buried (albeit in a duct) so I just decided for £40 or so extra I’d rather over spec. I’d have hated to have to have done the job twice after realising that I’d under specced it! I’ve only got 1 extra connector for the fly leads to the box (dish is connected direct to WF125).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sky dish garden installation?’ is closed to new replies.