Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sky box broken
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

We returned from holiday last Wednesday, sky box had been switched off at the socket whilst we were away. Turned it on and that evening we had some problems with signal break up and the picture and the sky box freezing. Did the same again on Thursday and it now won't even turn on – red stand-by light is on. Sky box upstairs works fine and tried it downstairs and that’s fine too so problem is with the box.

We’ve had the box a good few years so out of warranty now.

What’s the deal with Sky – do I have to pay for a new box or do they replace broken kit free? And yes I could phone them but I don’t have 3 hours to spare hanging on the line. Would rather know other folks experience before calling anyway.

Xan
    Free Member

Take out a sky care package for only a few pounds a month. Leave it a few days, call up and tell them you have a problem and get it replaced for nowt.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/more/protect

thats my advice anyway. Either that or you can get one of Fleebay for reasonably cheap. Is it a standard box you have or Sky plus or HD as you can upgrade now for only about £25-£50 I think.

andytherocketeer

Is it on contract (ie need the phoneline connected) ? If so then it used to be a fixed 60 quid call out and they make it work. Probably get a refurb box, rather than new.

PS guess this should go on the other subforum 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Seamus
    Free Member

There is a charge if it is out of warranty (12 months).
    Tell them you want to end your subscription and they will probably replace it for free. It worked for me anyway.

smogmonster

Gary M, dunno if its any use to you, but i have an old Grundig Sky box that is sat gathering dust – it worked last time i tried it (couple of years ago), presume it still does. If you can the cover the cost of postage (tenner or so) you can have it. No control or leads, but you obviously have them already.

Same as smog – got a quite nice slim silver Sony box, which has optical out if you need to link to your AV system, which you're welcome to.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My friend's regular sky box was fried when his house was hit by lightning.
    He called them up & said he was gonna cancel coz he didn't really think he needed it that much, and they gave him a new Sky+ box for £15.

lovely.

jon1973
    Free Member

Phone them, tell them you want to cancel and go to Virgin Media. When they ask why, say you resent paying £60 to get your box repaired. They'll offer to do it for £30. Tell them that's no good and you can get a brand new V+ box for £50 – they will repair/replace for free if you hold your ground. They do not want to lose your subscription.

devs
    Free Member

If you've got a 40, 80 or 160 GB EIDE HDD lying around try whacking it in first. A lot of Sky+ faults are down to knackered HDD. If it isn't Sky+ just get any old box in as offered above.

andrewh
    Free Member

What Jon973 said.

Used to work for sky, they will keep making lower and lower offers, keep saying no until they offer free replacement (will only be reconditioned box though)

Or watch less telly and ride more, there's nothing on anyway. You just have a wider choice of rubbish than the rest of us do.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer of boxes folks – I'll call sky and see what they say.

Or watch less telly and ride more, there's nothing on anyway. You just have a wider choice of rubbish than the rest of us do.

Lol, ridden over 4000 miles so far this year, how about you.

benz
    Free Member

TheArtist….

I'd be happy to pay postage, etc if your silver Sony one works – my silver Sony one crapped out at the weekend….

benzatchevrondotcom

Thanks.

tops5
    Free Member

Mine went on the blink so i called sky and threatened to cancel. They called my bluff and cancelled it!

foureyes
    Free Member

George the SKy+box has many faults so there's loads of info on the net about getting them working again, the stuck in standby thing is common from what ive seen so if its a + box have a shufty around tinterweb before you call sky.

z1ppy

Tops 5, when did you cancel? Friend of mine bit the bullet & cancelled when the wouldn't upgrade her for free, they accepted her cancellation, but a few days later phoned her & gave her a good deal…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sky box broken’ is closed to new replies.