Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SKS mudguards – how to mount…seriously!
  • benz
    Free Member

Assume a wishbone stay back-end….how does one fit the mudguard support – seems to be for a normal a shape rear triangle….

Bend, or drill the guard itself??

SKS chromoplastic – been on my hack winter ‘road’ bike – actually an old fully rigid mtb with slicks and now moving them to a different frame…bit more modern.

Oh, anyone attached them to Exotic Alu or carbon forks? How….?

rootes1

look under the wishbone, does it have a threaded hole? many do if so drill the guard and bolt through.

if not use the support, and then attach to wishbone with zip ties etc

as for odd forks/stays, use P clips.

jimc101
    Free Member

If you are fitting to a new road frame, can you not use the caliper bolt to mount on?, alternatively use Raceblades

For the forks, Exotic Alu or Carbon forks, the simplest thing it to buy a new fork with eyelets; I’m using an Alpina fork, also ones are available from Deda and others, P-clips are good for rear stays, not sure there is enough to grip on a fork, as most carbon ones are sculptured.

samuri
    Free Member

My read SKS mudguard is held on almost entirely with zipties, work a treat. Certainly better than the fittings they sent with it. I have a zip tie holding it to the chainstay bridge with another on in case it breaks, then another tie from the seat stay bridge lifting it off the wheel.

wwaswas

this is how I got mine on the forks (sorry pics aren’t great). measuer your fork diameter and then look on ebay for appropriate sized p-clips. I sued a gusset headlock http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=17766 with the bolt down the steerer tube cut short and another bolt up from underneat to hold the bracket on.

at the rear there was a weld ‘blow’ hole behind the wishbone for the seat stays – I used a self tapping screw into that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

P clips would be afar simpler option than changing the forks! I’ve been using p clips on the forks of my commuter and they work just fine.

bigjim

Yes I found them a nightmare to fit to a modern bike with discs, zipties to the rescue!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I fitted mine by swearing loudly at them. That and angrily throwing tools around the garage seemed to do the trick eventually.

They’ve been invaluable in the mucky winter weather but what a PITA to fit.

wwaswas

fitting a rear one to my Inbred was a doddle, I must say. front a bit more of a faff as you can see above but nothing too bad.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

fitting a rear one to my Inbred was a doddle, I must say. front a bit more of a faff as you can see above but nothing too bad.

Swearing at tools is a core part of my approach to bike repairs and upgrades and isn’t a reflection on the quality of SKS guards. They are really rather good, it’s just I’m a bit of an impatient clumsly fool.

wwaswas

Swearing at tools

You need the Park Tools Blue book.

igmc.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

You need the Park Tools Blue book

It would be no good for throwing as it wouldn’t make a nice clanging noise as it bounces of the walls and floor of the garage 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SKS mudguards – how to mount…seriously!’ is closed to new replies.