Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Skoda Yeti, who's got one?
  • HansRey

looking at something roomy and nice to drive in the snow, which isn’t too long.

Has anyone got a Yeti? How well do big things like bikes and snowboards fit into the back?

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are other threads, eg this one

I was quite surprised how many people didn’t put their bikes in the back but on a rack

trail_rat
    Free Member

neighbour has one as a motability car.

2.0 TDI 4×4.

Boot is not as big(tall or wide) as you would think due to wheel wells and drive gubbings under the quite high boot floor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

@Hans the older shape Rav4’s have removable seats in rear (check which models) and can get bikes in stood up. With suitable tyres they are OK in the snow and car like to drive. Nice and compact too (newer models bulkier externally). I had petrol auto but it wasn’t very fast or economical, looking at diesel ones now. Was quite keen on a Yeti but the lack of real interior luggage space put me off.

HansRey

thanks for the other links, didn’t think to check… 😐

I’m surprised at the lack of interior space. That’s a shame. Although it does seem to explain why i’ve seen so many with roof racks

ski99

Despite their chunky looks (like the Audi Q3) they’re only the same footprint as a Golf/A3. I’ve had a few, and think they’re the perfect compromise between space and size vs. fuel economy. I’ve seen small/medium bikes stood up in the back, and used to carry 2 large bikes with just the front wheels off.

As Jambalaya says, the rear seats lift out completely, and then it’s basically a van.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“and then it’s basically a SMALL van.”

its smaller than our blingo in the back – neighbour has to have a 4×4 due to where we live – she says barring that hicup she would have another blingo/partner in a heart beat over the yeti for the extra space.

she had a partner dangel style conversion way back when those were new enough to be current stock and an option on peugeot partners.

mrchrispy

I have, moved to that from a stw issue passat.
    Nice car but I sometimes miss the space of the passat, 95%of the time it’s not an issue and is the perfect size for 2 adults + 2 kids. It is just a jacked up golf with 4×4 but easily get a couple of bikes in the back with the seats down but trips away with the family a Roofbox and tow mounted bike rack is a must.

Economy isn’t anything special but I have one of the earlier engines that are slightly more thirsty, combined with 4×4 an we tend to see the low 40’s

Handling is more than enough for me, accelerates well and goes round corner fast enough…much more sure footed that the passat or golfs I’ve had. I’ll be putting some winter steels on it so I’m expecting to be unstoppable (assuming I’m not stuck behind people that are not quite as awesome as me!!!)

josemctavish
    Free Member

We’ve got one for my wife to use, as she is a rural GP (Aberdeenshire) and has some interesting locations to do house visits in winter! We’ve got winter steel wheels which have seen some truly dodgy conditions and the car has always felt great to drive. The room inside is good for passengers, but you’ll only get one bike in the boot (Wheels off). with the seats down/removed, you’ll easy get a couple in. Fuel economy is pretty good, ours does over 50mpg on country roads. If it was our only car, I’d want something with more boot space, as we have a kid and bike trailer to carry too (Use the Mondeo estate for that)!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Honda CR-V has a huge boot if that’s what you’re after, and the 2.2 diesel is available with 4WD and allegedly does 40+ mpg.

The newer 1.6 diesel is only available in 2WD and claimed combined consumption is 62mpg. Surprisingly nippy for such a small engine in such a big car too. (Test drive only, no long term experience)

Duffer
    Free Member

We’ve been looking at one for some time. In fact, we were ready to sign for a new one yesterday, but the maths didn’t work out. We’ll reattack next year.

As above; they are smaller than you think inside, especially the boot which has been raised to accommodate the rear diff / drive shafts. That said, the space is very square, which makes it more usable than some. They’re perfectly pleasant to drive, with all the creature comforts you’d expect from a VAG product.

The Wife is really keen on the Yeti while i’m pretty indifferent, and i’m more than happy to keep our Octavia vRS. Yetis are more expensive than the equivalent Octavia, not quite as good on fuel / tax (although it’s marginal) and quite a bit smaller on the inside. I can get 2 x 29ers in the back of the Octavia without having to take the wheels off.

I’d seriously recommend looking at the Octivia, if you’re in the market.

shifter
    Free Member

I had a renter for a weekend. Quite liked it but it was too short IMO. Whipped the seats out of the back to try it for bikes and they went in stood up on the forks ok but had to be at quite an angle. A longer 2wd version would suit me.

loddrik
    Free Member

Gonna have to choose a company can in the next couple of months. Sorely tempted by one of these. A 2.0tdi DSG.

Macavity
    Free Member

“..and nice to drive in the snow”

shifter
    Free Member

Are you saying winters work well in winter Phil? I think that thread has been done 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a new one, pick it up on Wednesday. For it’s footprint it has more room than say a golf or A3. Mine is the black edition. Skoda were doing deals on the finance, 2.9% on this model and immediate delivery. It’s a 2.0l TDI 4×4. You can slide the rear seats forwards and back and take them out. I’m 6ft 4″ and it has plenty of room for me. It will also blitz any similar car for residuals. I looked at leasing, there are some great deals but it made more sense to buy and trade up after 3yrs. Not to mention that my wife liked it the best. We have one child 12yr old and a dog and it will do us just fine. You can buy a bike rack for the inside that clips in where the rear seats go and it will carry two bikes with the wheel off.

There are no Scouts available in the country and even normal Octavia estates will take an age. We were given a build date of about Feb 2015 for a Scout and even that was optimistic. Better to get in the system and then tell them when I want one and they will try and get one for me. The Yeti will do fine till then with 3yrs free servicing as well in that deal.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Be very sure about the DSG. I found it a bit snatchy on take up a bit severe although fine on the move. The manual is superb with great ratios and flexibility with the diesel. I think the manual will appeal to more people when you trade it in and it’s cheaper.

P20

The four wheel drive is brilliant especially with winter tyres.

Skoda 1, Army Truck 0 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

The only car in Blanchland car park by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Inbred456
    Free Member

P20 what tyres are on the Octy?

P20

Continental. I think ts830, they’re a few winters old now

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

My father had a 2.0 tdi Yeti for three years and I used it many times. Easy to drive and ok on fuel (mid 40’s), space wise as others say boot was very small and always used Thule on towbar for bike duties, surprising amount of vibration through the steering wheel and a lot of tyre noise as the tyres got beyond 5mm of depth (went back to dealer 4 times but was always deemed to be within spec)
    Definitly the wifes 4×4 octavia is more suited as a bike wagon as was easier on the fuel, much more interior space and older tech engine meant there was less to go wrong with it. Put the winter boots on it today and hoping for snow.

bowglie

Yeah, Octavia Scout/4×4 every time. We have an Octavia VRS estate and it’s brilliant for chucking bikes in the back of. Have been on Euro road trips with it loaded with 3 weeks worth of self catering supplies, bike & climbing gear (inc 2 large FS 29ers) and it just swallowed the lot.

We looked at the Yetis when replacing my wifes ancient Kangoo, as we really like the look of the Yeti. However, after chatting to the salesman (who did a bit of MTBing) he showed us how the boot of the Yeti compared to the Octavia and Roomster, and we were really surprised & disappointed. Ended up getting a Roomster and have been very pleasantly surprised by how good it is to drive and chuck bikes in – just a shame the Scout version isn’t 4WD (we’re just gonna chuck winter tyres on ours – seemed to work well on the 2WD Kangoo).

p.s. when we can afford it, we’ll be changing our VRS for the 4×4 Octavia estate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I really fancied one, but ended up buying a fabia Monte Carlo estate for about 8 grand less, same room in the back too.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

No need for 4×4 unless you’re up an unmaintained track,, get winter rubber instead. We didn’t need much space so have gone for a roomster. If you need space then def an estate. Not quite sure what the point of a yeti is…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Yeti, who's got one?’ is closed to new replies.