Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Skoda Roomster – Yay or Nay
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Currently got a diesel Octavia (last of the 1.9 but coming up for 8 years old) it’s starting to cost me money and looks like it’ll need new front wheel bearings and is due a timing belt change this year. Oh and new rear tyres as well.

There an offer of a new 1.2 TSI (86 PS) Roomster on the go for £10k.

Already decided that the next car will be smaller and petrol (diesel tech is a pita and seems problematic hitting the emission requirements).

I like the size and flexibility of the Roomster.

Anybody got experience or opinions

matt_outandabout

A colleague had one – it seemed more headroom than real inside space. Well put together though.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yes, but a bigger boot than the Fabia and the seats come out (I think anyway) making kind of a small van (think it’s based on the Caddy)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

I guess it just didn’t feel as wide as Berlingo or small mpv.

molineux1980
    Free Member

Can you get a Skoda Yeti for a similar price? Great reviews.

iolo
    Free Member

molineux1980 – Member
    Can you get a Yeti for a similar price?

New? I very much doubt it.

metalheart
    Free Member

Gotcha Matt. Checking, it’s only 1684mm wide external so guess that’s why…

metalheart
    Free Member

Can you get a Skoda Yeti for a similar price?

No chance, they’re about double I think….

nuke

Can you get a Skoda Yeti for a similar price?

Price aside, to what advantage aside ‘looks’?

Been looking at getting a Roomster myself and we do like the Yeti but, unless you are specifically after a 4×4, the Roomster seems to make more sense than a Yeti

The Roomster offer looks tempting but just a shame its the 86 manual 1.2 and not the 105 dsg 1.2!

metalheart
    Free Member

Aye nuke, the Yeti does look good but it’s not particularly roomy inside. Add in the extra weight, expense etc the Roomster makes much more sense.

I agree about the 105, not fussed about DSG though. I did take a test ride and it didn’t seem too bad (a bit difficult to tell when I’ve driven a diesel for the last 10 years but definitely felt better when letting the revs build before shifting….) which was 2 up, salesman apparently needs to be on board for insurance purposes….

A £4k saving nonetheless. Make 2ndhand look less attractive for sure.

wilburt
    Free Member

You can get the internal bike rack for a Roomster and friends who are seriously into competing in bike events lovem as bike cars. I’m also in the midst of a Skoda lovein coming from Audis and Beemers to a basic but utterly brilliant Fabia so may be a little bias.

Im not sure about the engine, 80 diesel horses is plenty in the fabia.

metalheart
    Free Member

No apologies necessary wilburt as a) this is STW and b) I’m currently on my 4th skoda….

jimw
    Free Member

I had one as a loaner for a couple of days when my Superb was in for work, a 1.2 105 dsg. Apart from the gearbox, which I didn’t like ( not a fan of DSG/S-Tronic) it was very impressive. Comfortable, spacious, quiet and easy to drive. The ride was particularly good. I also like the look of them.
    It felt less claustrophobic than the Yeti I drove, but then most things seem small compared to a Superb estate tbh.

Saccades
    Free Member

Hired a seat leon in germany with the 1.2 manual (is it the same?), 5 of us from hahn to stuttgart and back and didn’t at any point think I was driving a 1.2.

Very impressed, sipped fuel too.

jimw
    Free Member

I think in the UK the Leon has the 105/110 ps 1.2 depending how recent it is.

My partner has the 105 1.2 Polo with a 6speed manual. Absolutely cracking engine-quiet, powerful and economical.

Rik
    Free Member

New one due this year on the mk2 caddy chassis before the caddy gets it.

ninfan
    Free Member

I bought one a year ago on this deal, the same spec with panoramic roof etc

It’s been very good, lovely to drive, great for bikes etc in the back, and the ability to remove the rear seats has made it great for going away for the weekend, car-camping etc. as said above, very well put together.

86 engine has been great, fairly sedate but the only place you really notice it is on joining motorway or dual carriageway, will happily cruise at speed limit without revving to death and turn in 45ish mpg doing so but it’s not one for you if you enjoy sitting in the outside lane everywhere.

5year warranty was only a couple of hundred quid extra, defo worth it, and the service contracts were a good price.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah, the 1.2 seems up to the job (the Roomster not being a ‘big’ car).

The demo certainly had an oomph about it around/above 3k revs. The thing that bothers me is that the salesman ‘thinks’ it was the 86, I’m not entirely convinced it wasn’t the 105… If it was the 86 I reckon that i could live with it.

metalheart
    Free Member

Ninfan: most of my driving is on A roads, not a huge amount of dualler mileage. Tend to sit about indicated 75 when I do. 65 indicated on single (obviously where appropriate…).

If I want speed/power, well, there’s the motorbike for that….

ninfan
    Free Member

Yeah, fine for that IMO

Be aware that photo on the soda website is a bit wrong, as th SE spec has the panoramic roof (really good if you have passengers, kids in the back etc) but no roof rails.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The black edition one looks jolly good 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah, spotted that. Not fussed about roof rails. Had two estate cars with rails for a total of 8 years and never used ’em once.

My concerns about the panoramic roof are: a) does it not get a bit hot in summer and b) does it not ice up when frosty? There was a works car with a sun roof that used to do this then drip on you once it warm up inside….

SE spec is what I’d probably go for anyway.

metalheart
    Free Member

Monkey, the black edition is £5.5k more! Too much for my wallet I’m afraid. And for that much I’d rather have the Scout being honest.

ninfan
    Free Member

There’s a roller blind underneath the panoramic that seems to deal with those problems fine.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks ninfan. Up here I’m scraping ice of the car more often than not of a morning (6.30 am starts) for at least 3 months a year. Still, I’m sure it must be as bad in Czech rep.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bought one of these, I had been looking at a yeti, but price and practicality put me off. Miles cheaper and great load space for such a small car, I reckon it’s about the same interior space as my old civic, but lots narrower outside. 1.2 TSI, 105 bhp too, really nice wee tight, but economical engine. Mines a 63 plate, with 3500 miles on it, cost me 10.5K from a skoda main dealer. Love it.

karlsbug
    Free Member

We had a roomster scout for a couple of months a few years ago. It had the most uncomfortable front seats I have ever sat in. It was a 105 TDI, quick though and well laid out. I don’t know if they have changed the seats or if it was just the scout version (2007) model. Traded it in for VW touran which has been fantastic.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I really like those Fabia estates (love the vRS one). I am highly interested in what the new one will be like, as it may replace my Octavia vRS.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nay – it’s the sort of car that says ‘look at me – I’ve given up on life’…

whitestone
    Free Member

We’ve a Roomster 1.9tdi, had it for nearly six years now and it’s been great. Can get three adults and bikes inside.

Had one or two problems with the electric windows and the reversing sensors but the only mechanical problem was just before new year when one of the front coil springs broke but that can happen to any car. Done about 90,000 miles in it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Nay – it’s the sort of car that says ‘look at me – I’ve given up on life’…

I don’t get why folk say stuff like this? It’s a tool to get from a-b, if the tool is right for the job of the person what does it matter?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve a 2011 1.6 diesel scout and it’s a nice car. Never imagined a small car could have such legroom front and rear and.superb visibility for all passengers. Boot isn’t huge but it’s big enough and if I’m not using the van for biking then they go on the roof of the car. Got a fitted rubber boot well and bang on mats from eBay. Removed the parcel shelf and stored in the loft as it doesn’t fit in an ideal way and just gets in the way, might as well keep it clean.

The 1.6d is a fast wee car and we average 45mpg. Lots of short trips.

If you want genuine space stick with an octavia. If you want a good small car then a roomster.

surf1666
    Free Member

I’ve got that model and it is great with the seats out and the bike stood up in the back. Had to made an adapter to attach the 15mm axle but all in all great for a small car. A bargain.

stooo
    Free Member

We’re on our second roomster … we had a yeti in between.

Yeti was slightly more comfy on long drives and felt stronger and more stable at speed….

However
    The roomster is just better value and easily as practical in almost everyway, with the exception of driving on Forrest road etc, missing the 4×4 and ride height of the yeti.

Both cars have the removable, foldable seats, giving you loads of options.
    With one or more seats out, you can put a bike in the back, upright, with just the front wheel removed. You don’t need the bike rack thing if you’re careful with your packing.

Take out the middle seat and you can o away as a family of four, and you can take your bike down the middle.

Take out two seats and you can go away with two biking mates and three bikes in there, with a bit of effort.

Ive been away with all the seats out, mtb and road bike in the back, and slept along side them.

Currently have the 1.2 petrol and its a great wee engine. Not very good at high speed on the motorway, but it’ll cruise at 70 no bother. Fantastic in town or on country roads. Handles really well, as wheels are in the corners and, despite the high roof, your weight is really low.

My wife uses this as her every day car and I drive an on Octavia estate 4×4 up and down the M6. Rooster is still the car of choice for bike trips though.

nuke

Good feedback Stooo

Currently have the 1.2 petrol and its a great wee engine. Not very good at high speed on the motorway, but it’ll cruise at 70 no bother.

86 or the 105? I was hoping the Roomster could cruise at 75+ without to much effort (Hoping to use it for European hols where some motorways have 130km/80mph speed limits)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you get a black one then you can probably get some part time work using it as a hearse…

stooo
    Free Member

We’ve got the limited edition offer one from last Jan… can’t remember which power rating.

75 is ok, and it’ll do 80 just feels a little strained when you hit a hill. Probably more to do with the gearing than the engine TBH. Bearing in mind I’m used to the 150bhp 2.0 diesel in the Octavia, or the old yeti.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Went and had a look at a 1.2 TSI 105 Roomster with DSG last night. Bloody liked it!! However, I am not liking the idea of the DSG after reading up on how fragile they are!!

Need to keep my eye out for a manual one.

ninfan
    Free Member

Just to top this one up

I’ve got a greenline engined one as a courtesy car today (they are fixing a glovebox light switch in mine) and although apparently very frugal, it honestly feels, and sounds, like it has a concrete mixer under the bonnet 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Our DSG Octavia has had no issues in 9 years and 90000 miles, our DSG Fabian has been trouble free in 4 years and 30,000.

You only here about the problems.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Roomster – Yay or Nay’ is closed to new replies.