Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Skoda owners – anything I need to know when buying a new one?
  • chomp
    Free Member

Wife’s after a new motor, and is considering pulling the trigger on a Fabia Estate Monte Carlo Tech 1.2 TSI.

She’s had a drive in it and likes pretty much everything about it (apart from the sporty pedals).

Is there anything we should know regarding buying a new Skoda? From my (quick) research they seem to be generally highly regarded (for the size\spec etc).

Going in to sort out the purchase this weekend unless the wife changes her mind (which is possible).

Horror stories or just boring ‘I like mine’ stories welcome

stox
    Free Member

I love the Monte Carlo Fabia’s … If you haven’t already, check out briskoda.com
    There’s actually a current thread on Monte Carlo’s owners cars. Plenty of info re purchasing too

Alex

I like mine 🙂 Not a Fabia, but I’ll share my Skoda ownership experience.

Yeti bought two years ago this week. From the showroom floor. It’s been pretty much flawless in the 40,000 miles covered since. First three services were free, just paid £250 for the last one. Been through a set of tyres, and two wiper blades.

Had a couple of little issues; paint bubble sorted under warranty and a blocked drain which let water into the passenger side footwell, again sorted under warranty and they had all the carpets up etc to check for damage.

Find Skoda dealer great to deal with (Winners in Cinderford) and I’ll have another one in a year or so, probably not new this time.

Yeti is nice to drive, well put together, solid, feels bulletproof, just put diesel in and go. At 20,000 miles a year, I don’t need an exciting car, I just want a comfortable one with a decent stereo and no dramas!

Alex

Oh and BRISKODA is a pretty thriving forum. Loads of good advice on there.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that the new Fabia is due out later this year….

MoreCashThanDash

The 1.2 tsi is a great engine, especially the 105ps version. Ours is a bog standard Fabia and drives better with winter tyres, less squirmy.

Be prepared for the disappointed look when you give your Audi driving mate a lift and he recognises most of the interior features from his own car…. .

chomp
    Free Member

I’ll have a butchers at that skoda forum, thanks

I’m not that fussed that there’s a new one on the way (probably why there are some great offers around) and I personally like the way that it looks, nice and sporty but not too much

How much does a set of winter tyres set you back for it? I’m guessing that as the monte carlo has 17in ones they’ll be different to yours. We’re in sunny Kent so not a great deal of hills to deal with and apart from the odd visit to in\out-laws it will be driven mostly around town

milky1980
    Free Member

Had my Fabia hatch 6 weeks now and I’m very impressed with it. Get to drive loads of different hire cars with work so can compare it to Clio’s, Fiesta’s, 500’s etc and it’s not as exciting to drive but very comfy and just a good place to be in. Well thought out interior, loads of little touches that you notice gradually that make it lovely to use. The car park ticket holder is genius yet so simple, saves the ticket blowing off the dash all the time!! The only thing that annoys me is that the 12v socket and stereo line-in is by the handbrake on the driver’s side so you have to run the cables awkwardly, but there is a blanking plate that’s for a secondary 12v socket in the lower glove box so will wire one in there when I get a chance. Have already run a cable from the line-in under the trip to the front drink holder.

Another vote for BriSkoda forum too, so helpful!

Edit: if the Monte Carlo has the media plug it’ll be on the dash on the passenger side, so not an issue!

MoreCashThanDash

Our winter tyres for normal wheels were £75 a corner (fitted by Hi Q) no name Chinese ones that were excellent in last years snow and ice and this years floods. Look set for another couple of winters out of them. Definitely calmed down the wheel spins. There isn’t a lot of weight over the front wheels given the relative oomph going through them.

stevie750

Pay for the optional extra of a full size spare wheel, If I remember right it was about £50 or £75 which, considering the tyre(Dunlop sp) would cost you about £90 from a garage ,is a pretty good price .

I have a fabia 1.2 and have no compliants with it at all

Duffer
    Free Member

Very happy with mine – Octavia VRS, obviously (this is STW, after all). Bought new 18 months ago, and it’s needed nothing except a tyre which went bang as a result of a pothole.

I was in a similar situation, in that i got a big discount on a run-out model. Ours came with loads of extras for free; leather interior, sat nav, DAB radio, parking sensors, a fancy trip computer thing, etc.

I can’t speak for the Fabia in particular, but the Skodas are well recommended.

iolo
    Free Member

You’re buying a new car from a Skoda garage.
    What are you expecting to happen?
    If it blows up in your driveway you’ll get a new one (within warranty).
    Don’t worry.
    It’s a good car, cheap, not the prettiest but fine.
    Enjoy

angeldust
    Free Member

People will think you are a cheapskate.

john_drummer
    Free Member

People will think you are a cheapskate clever for not spending the extra on a VW or Audi version of essentially the same car

FTFY 😉

-m-
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Ibiza also?

EDIT: Not intended as a criticism of the Fabia, but worth checking out for comparison

Pigface
    Free Member

I had a Fabia and it was a great little beast apart from the shell is made of steel that make Coke cans look sturdy, used a bike rack with 2 bikes on and it left two lovely dings on the tail gate.

That is my only criticism.

milky1980
    Free Member

One of my colleagues has an A1 and was rather peeved when I told him how much I’d paid 😆 He could have paid for a VERY nice holiday with the difference!!

DezB
    Free Member

People[b]You[/b] will think you are a cheapskate clever for not spending the extra on a VW or Audi version of essentially the same car, but everyone else knows you’re a cheapskate really.

FTFY 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Bought a roomster last month, VERY pleased so far

extension to 5 year manufacturers warranty is a good price when done at purchase (£305?)

consider ordering the spare wheel, the basic car comes with aerosol and pump

Service Maint & tyres deal is surprisingly cheap if your milage isn’t high

communication and service, delivery etc. was excellent.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I had a Fabia and it was a great little beast apart from the shell is made of steel that make Coke cans look sturdy, used a bike rack with 2 bikes on and it left two lovely dings on the tail gate.

That is my only criticism.

Must be a Skoda thing – my old Octavia dented if you sneezed at it. Either that or the paint fell off. Moving away from Skoda ownership made me realise that whilst they’re good cars, they’re not (in my experience) as good as everyone makes out vs other stuff.

The 1.2 TSI is a good engine though. A mate has a boggo standard spec Fabia with the 1.2 and on tickover you can’t even tell its running. Smooth little thing but after a year of ownership his Fabia is noticeably rattly when you close the doors etc.

angeldust
    Free Member

PeopleYou will think you are a cheapskate clever for not spending the extra on a VW or Audi version of essentially the same car, but everyone else knows you’re a cheapskate really.

FTFY

So true 😀

sprocker
    Free Member

I have an Octavia and wife has citigo sport both nice cars and proving cheap to run.

keaboing
    Free Member

We have an Octavia Estate diesel on a 51 plate. We’ve had it 9 years, 120k and no dramas. Well built and carries 3 bikes, a roof box, 2 adults, 2 kids and a load of camping stuff no problem. Great cars and will probable get another one day.

mudshark
    Free Member

Must be a Skoda thing – my old Octavia dented if you sneezed at it.

Not noticed that with my Roomster, seems very solid.

Only problem I’ve had is that my battery started losing charge, took a while for the dealer to work out what the problem was but no problem since got a new one.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Skoda owners – anything I need to know when buying a new one?’ is closed to new replies.