Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Skoda Octavia – what is this ?
  • cranberry
    Free Member

As cliched as it is, I’m looking at an Octavia.

In this picture, what is the oblong thing under the front numberplate ?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its the radar sensor.

renton
    Free Member

As above its the radar for the adaptive cruise control. I wish I had got this on mine to be honest!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

blanked off towing point?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Flue for the woodburner?

eruptron
    Free Member

A sat nav

stumpy01

As above, it’s the sensor for the adaptive cruise control and any other gubbins that goes along with that (like collision avoidance stuff.

cranberry
    Free Member

Radar sensor for cruise control would make sense.

Thanks

matt_outandabout

jekkyl

there’s sensor nehind the rear view mirror as well. I’ve always wondered which does which. My high beams go down by themslvs when approaching an area with street lights and occasionally the wipers do themselves and also the headlights when on ‘auto’ light up themelves. I love my car.

renton
    Free Member

Jekkyl the sensor by the rear view mirror is for “High beam assist”, “traffic sign recognition” and wipers

Stevet1
    Free Member

john_drummer
    Free Member

Toaster!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Might be used for cruise, but I thought it was actually the sensor that stops you driving in to the back of other cars? ie pulling out at a roundabout it would stop you hitting the car infront if they havent moved.

Test it by driving at a brick wall 😆

sofaboy73
    Free Member

its the collision avoidance sensor. also does your front parking sensors. I only know this as mine started to play up and ‘miss read’ obstacles leading to lots of unnecessary beeping and the old auto application of brakes!

Flaperon

The radar sensor can help with collision avoidance (as do the ultrasonic parking sensors) but they’re a mitigation tool. True low-speed collision avoidance requires a laser (usually hidden in the rearview mirror mount).

You can add cameras etc which do road sign recognition / pedestrian detection etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Octavia – what is this ?’ is closed to new replies.