• This topic has 53 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Skoda octavia vrs petrol real world mpg??
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

brilliant – thats 1 in XXXXXXX ? do you offer and kind of guarantee that every diesel car for sale is looked after ?

richmtb

Wouldn’t say TFSI sounds like a diesel,

Mine certainly did, although it made a nicer noise than the new engine when revved. The new one is a bit more muted with definite turbo spool noise, loads quieter when idling though

molgrips
    Free Member

brilliant – thats 1 in XXXXXXX ?

And your statistics are better?

If anyone has real stats on expensive diesel failure I’d be keen to know.

Oh and that tfsi also has a turbo and probably a dmf too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no peer reviewed stats for it … but statistically i only need to know of two expensive diesel repair bills to exceed the standing statistics on this thread – i can think of two sets of diesel injectors and a DMF that have failed in my circle of friend alone – another lads had his VGT turbo shit the bed.

the first hit on google made me laugh.

will upset the VAG heads on here no doubt.

german cars come at bottom of engine reliablity chart.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Petrol owners – how’s your MPG effected by having bikes on the roof.

I’ve got a Seat Exeo Diesel at the moment, there’s about 18 months left before I change it (company car) in that time I suspect the tax rules will change to make a petrol car a bit more of a good idea.

My Exeo does 50mpg+ on the motorway at 70 – but at 80 (I know shock horror, I speed) it drops to 40 – once on the way down to the Alps with 2 bikes on the roof at a constant 130kph (82ish) it was doing 34mpg! with diesel being 8% or so more expensive (in the UK anyway) which means (maths permitting) a Petrol doing 32mpg would be costing me the same – which reading above sounds pretty easy.

I don’t give two hoots about the vastly over-publicised ‘problems’ with diesels, that’s something private buyers worry about and frankly I ran a Diesel Passat from 3k miles to 153k miles and the only time it went wrong was a worn alternator.

Sui
    Free Member

the report is surprising, but i’m sure there is something to do with sheer numbers being produced by certain brands, vs others that would make the results subjective. (i don’t like VAGs btw).

Sui
    Free Member

i do know that stick 4 effing great MTB’s on the roof and the MPG on my 5 series falls through the floor! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats a wind resistance issue p-jay.

the cross sectional area your trying to shove through the air is the same regardless of the fuel.

so if its getting 30-35 mpg without bikes i wouldnt bet on it getting more than 25-30 with the bikes on the roof.

i guess as its a company car you cant have a tow bar and get the bikes behind you – still creates extra drag but no where near as much as on the roof.

sam_underhill

4 bikes on the roof of a petrol vRS with 4 people in the car down the M4 to wales in the wind and rain = ~24mpg every time.
    Having only 2 bikes and 2 poeple it is much better. More like 28 – 29mpg.

br
    Free Member

The Smax is just thirsty all the time. We done 500 miles down from the top of Scotland and it averaged around 30mpg at an average of 65 which is woeful.

I’m pretty sure when you were buying it that mpg was discussed and you discounted it as you weren’t to be doing many miles – it’s a 2.0i petrol auto in a people-carrier, what did you expect?

And tbh to want to change a car on the basis of one trip in 18 months is quite frankly, stupid.

stumpy01

trail_rat – Member
    no peer reviewed stats for it … but statistically i only need to know of two expensive diesel repair bills to exceed the standing statistics on this thread – i can think of two sets of diesel injectors and a DMF that have failed in my circle of friend alone – another lads had his VGT turbo shit the bed.

the first hit on google made me laugh.

will upset the VAG heads on here no doubt.

german cars come at bottom of engine reliablity chart.

That survey – doesn’t tell you if they are diesel engines or petrol that are failing, so pretty irrelevant. And it doesn’t tell you the nature of the failure…..is a glow plug failing classed the same as a fuel pump failing?
    Perhaps the info is there that genuinely shows they are worse, but that Auto Express summary tells you nothing.

No one I know who owns a diesel has had any major engine issues with them. The only one I can think of was due to a cambelt change being done incorrectly, which has no relevance to the fuel type.

Is my 1.9TDi PD engine considered modern? It’s currently on 249k miles and is on original turbo, original DMF & clutch, original intercooler, original fuel pump, original glow plugs, original injectors, even the exhaust is the one that it left the factory with. The aim is to get it to 300k before replacing, which will take about another 2 yrs based on current driving habits.

trail_rat
    Free Member

1.9TDi PD engine considered modern – no ….the PDs were/still are? regarded as great engines.

and my link wasnt so much a factual link it was more a fun poke at the VAG lovers on here…

i wouldnt take the stats in that article as far as i could throw it … its sponsored by warrenty direct a bunch of shysters out to drum up business by scare mongering. – infact id have expected to see fords/peugeots/citroens much further down with how common they are and how many 1.6hdis there are kicking about failing……. last time i was down the road there were 3 failed turbo HDIs in my mates yard alone.

renton
    Free Member

Br I’m not asking you to comment on the thread and saying things like it’s stupid etc isn’t really helpful.

Do you not think I’ve realised I made a mistake buying the smax

I’m not asking your opinion on what is right or wrong I am asking about the real world mpg of an Octavia. If you don’t have an Octavia or have come here to slate me then please eff off.

br
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Skoda octavia vrs petrol real world mpg??’ is closed to new replies.