• This topic has 45 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ac505.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Skoda Octavia VRS
  • stevego
    Free Member

Test drove one today, nice drive but why do they have to pipe a fake V8 sound through the sound system? Is there any way to stop it? Bit of a deal-breaker otherwise (especially for Mrs Stevego).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is there any way to stop it? Bit of a deal-breaker otherwise (especially for Mrs Stevego).

Buy a non VRS one?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

Divorce MrsStevego?

bearnecessities

Get the sound file swapped out for Brahms Lullaby.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Kind of sums the car up for me, all a bit fake.

You could disable it, and then go round doing ‘brum brum’ and tyre screech noises when your by yourself ?

stevego
    Free Member

It is the first new car I’ve test-driven, we will also try similar sized cars (mid-sized estates). Currently have a ’07 diesel mazda 6, 250,000 km on the clock. We have been told by the garage to expect some big bills in the near-ish future and that it is time to shift it on. The dealership only offered $1000 on trade in so we’ll probably drive it till it breaks properly before going a new car. We’l also test drive a mazda 6 and a similar hyundai. Any other suggestions?

footflaps

but why do they have to pipe a fake V8 sound through the sound system?

Weird, must be a new thing, ours never had that.

loverofminkys

We test drove one of these along with a GTD golf and ended up with a Seat Leon FR with a 1.4 TFSI, which is actually only 0.2 secs slower to 60, does 45-50mpg with ease, and was about £100 a month cheaper on PCP. Really chuffed with it

nickhart
    Free Member

Our sounds fab, nowt like a v8! It’s a brilliant car, nothing fake about it, quick handles well huge boot (takes a 29er full sus, wheels out, parcel shelf in place seats up!) very comfortable, petrol not so economic but cheaper and mucho fun. Love the details like the steering headlights and the fact it has a proper handbrake!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

They are slouchy. Remind me of those body kitted MGs that were rover 25/45/75’s. Please don’t put another one on the road.

hora
    Free Member

Serious? That is lame. What does it say a out who/what type of person the car is aimed at?!

chojin
    Free Member

I quite like the soundaktor in mine (Golf) – sure, you know its fake, but it appeals to the child in me!
    Besides, if you don’t like it, you can just switch it off at the push of a button.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Cars with a button to make it sound more of a car than what it is. That there is real classy lol

hora
    Free Member

Not just me then. Thought I was in alternative universe

Drac

Hmmm! My new Golf arrives at the beginning of August, seems it may have on fitted. Ah! Well.

hora
    Free Member

Brmm brmm brrrrrrrrr..rrrrrr…rrrr (3rd)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhheeee..

Tyre squeels added too?

Drac

And muuuooooohuuummm! As I pass other cars.

stevego
    Free Member

It is bizarre, but apparently many of the major manafacturers ‘engineer’ the engine sound to make it sound more sporty, not sure how many pipe it through the stereo though.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Doesn’t the BMW M5 also do this?

Drac

Doesn’t the BMW M5 also do this?

Yup lots do.

stevego
    Free Member

I think many do it by modifying the exhaust to give a louder deeper sound.

Drac

Here it is being played through the stereo, oh wait no.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVMBY_aTCc[/video]

bearnecessities

Cherry bomb FTW

jimjam
    Free Member

Turbo charging neutralizes a lot of the exhaust noise in modern cars, hence the fake noise being piped in. In other cars like the M5 the chassis is so refined and the car is so well sound proofed the fake noise is there so you can hear something, despite it actually being a pretty loud car with a great noise.

Lexus, Porsche, Ford, Mercedes…..they’re all at it.

renton
    Free Member

Love how people are saying a car is crap just because the maker adds a little bit of noise.

fizik
    Free Member

is that golf gtd supposed to sound good? shame volvo have stopped making the 5 cylinder d5 engine, p1sses all over the 4 cyl vag 2.0 tdi

Drac

I love how they had to have it pointed out to them before they decided they didn’t like it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Y’all shitting us, right? The car plays a “vroom” sound inside to the driver? 😆

Drac
    cynic-al
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

The M5, you are shitting me?

Remove some soound proofing ffs. Men and their Gin palaces

CountZero

They are slouchy. Remind me of those body kitted MGs that were rover 25/45/75’s. Please don’t put another one on the road.

🙄
    Ford did a similar thing with the Puma, only it wasn’t the exhaust or stereo, they put a box under the bonnet to accentuate the induction noise, sounded great, ‘cos it was such a revvy little motor.
    Nothing new to see here, move along.

peterfile
    Free Member

Y’all shitting us, right? The car plays a “vroom” sound inside to the driver?

I test drove a Golf R which is by all accounts, a fast car.

I thought there was interference coming from the engine through to the stereo when I drove it! The chap told me it was to enhance the driving experience. It didn’t.

Later found out that they put it in cars that they are trying to market as “petrol head” cars, but only have four cylinders and don’t sound great.

Sounded utterly daft and I would have died from embarrassment if anyone got in the passenger seat 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

First I’ve heard of this ‘fake’ enhanced engine noise practise. Genuinely surprised!

If you want a V8 sound…. buy a V8, with a full aftermarket exhaust if necessary

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“petrol head”

They’re easy pickings if Top Gear is anything to go by.

hora
    Free Member

I used to borrow my brother in laws S3 occasionally. I’d class it as a fairly nippy car but if you asked me to describe the driving experience I’d have relocation of anything that stood out (including the engine)- well before it was mapped it wasn’t good. After it made it a better drive but thats it.

I thought people who bought things like the Golf R etc just wanted something that did the job from A-B and had impressive figures, VW would have done their homework though on who their customer is so the sounds etc- I can see it. The buyer wants to feel like hes in a rorty-car and wouldn’t mind the fakeness if it helped him/her.

Shirley just take out the sound proofing from under the bonnet etc? Although it sounds like VW have engineered a nice little sleeper engine- whats wrong with that?

Mad. I couldn’t own such a car.

jimjam
    Free Member

hora

Shirley just take out the sound proofing from under the bonnet etc? Although it sounds like VW have engineered a nice little sleeper engine- whats wrong with that?

It would have little to no difference in the overall soundscape. Anyway, I think the main issue is that the car (and many others like it) just don’t make much of a noise, and certainly not a great noise – hence the fakery.

himupstairs

Lexus do the fake exhaust noise thing too, except I think they go as far as adding phoney gear shifts into the soundtrack to mask the seamless slush of their CVT gearbox.

bonkers

Drac

As jimjam says that’s not the issue, as mentioned a few posts back it’s because the way modern cars, turbos and exhausts work you don’t really get the tone anymore without an adjustment. They don’t do this for various reasons so manufacturers have come up with different ways to bring it in. VW use the Soundaktor which they claim is the engine noise now being produced using there device which is linked to a speaker in the car and the exhaust externally makes the noise.

I’ll see how mine sounds next week when it comes, if it’s as bad as some claim I’ll get it disabled with a VCDS kit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Octavia VRS’ is closed to new replies.