• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Skoda Octavia Scout – an owners in here?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

We are outgrowing our Ford Focus and its in need of a about £500 worth of suspension work so looking for a replacement car, an estate. Was looking for a 2006-2008 Octavia or Passat and a 2007 2.0 Tdi Octavia Scout has become available and got me interested.

I’ve checked with the local garage where its been serviced and it’s had a full Skoda service history, cambelt change in 2011 and DPF replaced in 2012. Had a service and MOT in May this year.

I won’t have a chance to drive it as its going through an auction, but I’ve bought “blind” before (for other people) and been ok so far.

So, what are they like to own, drive, fuel and tyre consumption, maintenance bills?
    Thanks!

P20

We had the standard 4×4, largely the same as the scout. Not as sharp to drive as the focus, but more comfortable and handled well. I got over 50000miles on a set of michelins. (Estimated, we fitted winters) economy was around 47mpg, ours was the older PD not CR engine. In 75000miles, main repair was an aircon compressor, otherwise routine servicing.
    I’d have another one, but having the van, we can’t justify a car of that size as a second car

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We had a 2007 one which we bought 3 years old and ran for 5 years until it crapped its engine following an oil pump drive failure at 120k in January his year. It had a full main dealer history on a long life schedule.

If you have a Google around the VAG forums you’ll find this is a pretty common problem with the PD 140 – note the 8V SOHC version (BMM engine code) in the Scout is different to that in other Octavias.

If it’s a later model which has the CR engine then you may be OK but we also had other issues during our ownership: DPF failed after we had it for 2 weeks but we bought from a main dealer so that was sorted under warranty. ABS module also went kaput but again this is a well documented problem and I was able to argue for Skoda to sort it under goodwill despite it being out of warranty by that point.

It also had a few problems with exhaust sensors early on which were mostly sorted gratis by Skoda assist roadside.

DPF light used to come on fairly regularly and need a 5 or 10 minute run at 2500 rpm to clear it. If you do a lot of short journeys this could be a major annoyance.

Economy not too bad but nowhere near as good as a standard Octavia due to the extra weight of the Haldex 4×4 system. We averaged 45 mpg which we could stretch to low 50s on a run.

On a positive note, it was great to drive, had loads of space and was hugely capable on rough ground and in snow (we live on Dartmoor). The 4×4 system was brilliant and made the car feel really sure footed. I still miss it to be honest and I’d still consider buying a CR or petrol version at some point.

They are quite sought after, so you’ll pay a premium over the standard Octavia – I was able to sell ours on without a working engine for about 60% of the list price.

Nico
    Free Member

It might be due another cambelt change – 4 years?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Octavia Scout – an owners in here?’ is closed to new replies.