Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Skis – which are the stumpjumper fsr?
  • flamejob
    Free Member

So; you want to get some skis and boots and can't be arsed to trawl the mags etc.

I would always point someone toward a Stumpy FSR or a Five- what is the equivalent in skis?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have some Blizzards X-something, seem to be like the old Spesh SX – rare and cool.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm, a tough one!

Boots aren't really going to be like that, as every is so very different in their boots. A bit like helmets, there's a shape for everyone, but you'd really need to try them on!

Skis? Maybe something like a Salomon X-Wing Storm, K2 Apache? A pretty standard all mountain ski, but good enough to do a bit of anything on.

Not sure it's as cut and dried as you could be with a bike!

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Rossignol Bandit SC80's

Sees some good reviews of them. Just back from skiing in the Alps and the local (Alpe D'huez) were all using these.

I'm using some K2 Silencers – There more for the park but I've had two weeks of park, piste and off piste and i'm more than happy with them – plus I got them new for £170 😀

Boots – Get the ones that fit the best.

flamejob
    Free Member

Well, that's a start, thanks chaps!
    How does one work out if a pair of boots fits if they're custom fit?
    What about the length thing? I'm kind of a newborn skier so in my time skis were to match your height; but that was the days of straight skis. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

flamejob, go to a proper ski shop, then follow the commandments…

Good boots make all the difference!

nickjb
    Free Member

Boots are well worth getting but skis, less so. With most of the budget airlines it is cheaper to rent than to take your own. It'll be worthwhile getting some if you are going for a season or want something specific (which, judging by your post, you don't!), otherwise renting works out pretty good. You can get different skis as you improve and it doesn't matter if you swipe a rock.

tangent
    Free Member

dunno – only do Nordic XC – but love the Stumpjumper analogy / benchmark! (alto' spose you should be referencing D.H. bikes really!)

Boots whatever style always seem to put the boot in so to speak – the adivce about getting a pro fit is wise

scotabroad

Flamejob – if you are a beginer or returning after a long time off I would rent out there and get a mid priced pair. Going for the "gold" option skis will be a waste of money.

Skis have changed drastically over the last ten years or so, so you now need to go for ones that are a tad shorter than what you may have been used to.

As said above spend a good long time getting boots to fit you which will make a huge difference to the week you are skiing.

Also if you are skiing piste then if you can get a nice supple ski thats easy to turn and they will feel much nicer all day than a stiff agrressive off pistey/ all mountain type of ski.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, spend on the boots and rent skis. That way, if your riding or the conditions change, you can just pop back to the shop and swap 'em over. Fancy a day on twintips? Just ask at your shop. Looking to go play in the powder? Take the piste-monsters back and get some powder planks!

tangent
    Free Member

soory slight hi-jack of thread here, but did the term "All-Mountain" come from the ski world originaly then?, like "FreeRide" did?

singletrackmind

Its probably worth buying boots in the UK, but I would avoid Snow and Rock, as I have only ever heard bad things from them.
    If you do go then as CFH recommends , Hire skis for each day fro what you will be mostly doing. Rossy B2's are a good crush basher, mid width ski. The B3 is for deeper powder. Crossmax Pilots are good on Piste , although the weapon of choice for the local racers still seems to be the Rossy 9X.
    If you do park / jib switch riding then pocket rockets, 1080's , or public enemy's are popular. Its like trying to do the tour de france on your FS. Yes you could get round, but it would be easier on a Allez

dab

you dont really say much about intended use ?

will assume a bot of skiing here and holiday in the alps
    from past experiences (1 pr xx's 1 pr B2's ) bandits are good skis if indeed a but "dull/lifeless" but steady choices never the less

have 3 friends on Scott Missions, very nice ski, good off and on piste wheather it be alpine / tele / touring kit

another good one is the line prophet 90 (not the 100 too wide)

K2 have a rep for being quite lively too = fun

as for boots since i'm a telemarker it's not one i can help with but
    full tilt are worth a look, based on the old raichle pro flex comps, great heel hold and flex patterns again foot shape will determine choice and factor in decent foot beds ( conformable ) and good thin smartwool / merino socks …not too bulky

keep an eye for ski demo's

was at the K2 demo at Glenshee last week and the wife tried some K2's cost me dear as just bought her some on friday after loving them so much !!

i think there;s another day coming soon

gonefishin
    Free Member

I'll echo the"spend the money on the boots" comments. Last year I bought myself some boots. After a few days of crippling pain (but only when standing around or on the lifts) I went for custom liners and custom orthotics from Surefoot. It wasn't the most pleasant experience, however for the next week or so I wore the boots without any hint of discomfort never mind pain. I swear they are more comfortable my snowboard boot. Not a cheap option, about $800, however when you compare it to the cost of a single ski holiday not that expensive either.

They even have a store in London now.

lister

My skiing has been disrupted by finances and kids in the last few years, but the one thing I'd chuck into this discussion is this…learn how to ski on the new-style skis.

Like the OP I grew up skiing on straight,long skis and wasn't sure what to do with the 'new' carvers I hired in 2004. As it was our honeymoon we decided to spend some money and hired an instructor for half a day. He was ace and taught us how to carve the new style skis.
    No more knees and boots stuck together for us! And there is alot less stress on the knees which is a bonus.

dab

gone fishing
    most decent boots are thermo formable anyway and a skilled bootfitter can punch out toe boxes etc and mould with additional padding to adapt the boot shape anyway

agree with the decent footbeds, best £40 – 50 you can spend

even skis over the last 2-3 years have improved so much its scary

personally i prefer i wood core ski vs synthetic, just more life in wood core skis and tend to be better made

hth

hth

flamejob
    Free Member

Thanks again guys; there is so much info here I'll need a week to geek through it; if you get me!

Historically I attained gold in French and Swiss ski schools and three star gold in Italy in my teens on old skool skis.
    I now live in Malaga, so am within a drive of some fairly good skiing in Seirra Nevada. I went up there on Friday with some friends that have been loads before, and hate to say my brain thinks my body is a lot better than it is! The basic deal is you ether get your own kit or waste about an hour (or nearly two on busy days) getting hire stuff, which really sucks if you have gone up there for a day.

Edukator
    Free Member

Mainly on-piste and not much deep powder then. I prefer a proper piste ski which is still fine in the powder unless it's really light (which it won't be down there). I use Dynastar's Omeglass 64 slalom ski though a giant slalom skis with R=18 is better at speed. Atomic's Race 12 GS for example. Competitors change their skis regularly so they are easy to pick up second-hand. Bandits, good as they, are still flappy things on-piste.

scotabroad

Ive got Bandit single X's and they are spot on for that type of skiing IMO.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Skis – which are the stumpjumper fsr?’ is closed to new replies.