Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Skirting boards in tiled shower room?
  • higgo
    Free Member

We're having a shower room built into a loft conversion. The floor will be tiled in one tile. Two walls, including the wall behind the shower enclosure, will be in another type of tile. The remaining walls will be left plastered for painting.

The guy's come to do it this morning and asked if we want a wooden skirting board.

It's not something I'd given any thought to and I can't really picture what it will look like. Also, I don't really know what the options are. I guess the plastered walls will need some kind of skirting, whether it's wood or a row of tiles (which could I suppose be either the floor tile or the wall tile?

Any advice or opinion from either people who've had bathrooms done or the hordes of bathroom tiling professionals on STW?

FWIW, I'm leaning towards having no skirting on the tiled walls and wooden skirting on the plaster walls.

Edit: how did this get in the Bike Forum? I'm sure I was in 'Chat' – could some kind mod move it?

Digimap
    Free Member

Google for "skirting tiles". Wood will look like you're adding another material, regular tiles will look DIY.

higgo
    Free Member

Ta.

I need to pop into the tile shop this afternoon anyway. I'll have a look to see if they do any matching skirting tiles.

Q1: Do I actually need any skirting between the tiled wall and the tiled floor? I guess not or I'll end up with skirting in the shower enclosure – which would be odd.

Q2: which would look better on the untiled walled – skirting tiles to match the floor tiles or skirting tiles to match the other tiled walls?

nbt

We have skirting board on the painted walls, and no skirting at all on the tiled walls

higgo
    Free Member

and Q3: would skirting tiles look a bit 'hospital'?

stumpy01

Speed Kings.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No skirting might give the cleanest look. It's "purpose" (other than aesthetic) is to protect the wall from being kicked by shoes etc so it's not really needed in a bathroom (and I've had flats where it's not been present in the batchroom)

Skirting on tiles walls would look daft IMO.

theflatboy
    Free Member

we don't have any in our bathroom – tiled walls straight to tiled floors.

Digimap
    Free Member

I think what to match is up to you and probably depends on the colours involved. If I was skirting all walls then I'd pick skirting tiles to match the floor to give the effect of wrapping up the edges. If the tiled walls are not getting skirting then probably match the wall tiles on the plastered wall, depends on the layout I suppose. Get a few sample tiles and see what looks right.

The other option of course is no skirting at all. You can get a plasterer to just finish the bottom edge off neatly to leave about a 10mm gap to the floor tiles. Very modern look but easily damaged.

GTDave
    Free Member

The floor will be tiled in one tile.

That is either a very small floor, or a mahoosive tile!! 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Skirting boards in tiled shower room?’ is closed to new replies.