Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • skirting board height for carpets??
  • renton
    Free Member

Hello,

We are ripping up our laminate in the front room and have decided to put a nice carpet down instead.

i laid the laminate and then put the skirting on top so when i rip it up there is goign to be a big gap between skirting and floor.

will this pose a problem when it comes to fitting the carpet?? should i move it down??

cheers

steve

john_drummer
    Free Member

should be ok; laminate is what 10mm thick at most? Carpet + underlay should easily be more than that

Stoner
    Free Member

thick underlay is about 9mm and fitters usually allow for twice that for height when including a pile carpet. Woven carpet will be thinner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I reckon the gap will show.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Gap! The underlay is cut short at the gripper, then the carpet usually pulls flater onto that. IMO anyway.

emac65
    Free Member

When I did the same I lowered mine…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Remember they use a big bolster-like pusher to push the edge of the carpet down over the gripperods, which makes more of the skirting boards visible.

oldgit
    Free Member

Slightly related.
    Painting skirting with carpets in situ, what’s the best method?

allthepies
    Free Member

Choose skirting paint colour to match carpet colour.

🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pull them back on themselves without creasing them. Leave leave a big book on them for long enough for the paint to form a good skin. Then using a very wide bolster, gently push them back into place. They take their shape back up very quickly.

EDIT: 😆 at allthepies’ far more intelligent answer.

oldgit
    Free Member

Choose skirting paint colour to match carpet colour.

Hmmm have I bought a house from you?

Edit; DD the staircase is the big problem, I’m guessing masking tape. Though I think when I did that before the paint came away with the tape?

Simon

Why not put the carpet over the laminate?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Isn’t there a curved piece of plastic that you can use? Or how about cutting a sheet of thin hardboard into strips, which you can then tack in place. I suspect the best solution would be to pull it up, roll it neatly, do the job and wait for a carpet fitters van to show up in the neighbourhood. Bung the guy twenty quid or something to pop it back into place tidily.

trout
    Free Member

No Problem .
    grippers about 5 mm thick
    get somw 3 mm ply cut into strips and fix under the grippers

a nice 11 mm thick underlay the carpet will tuck nicely into the gap

sorted .

( reserve finalist in the carpet fitter of the year competition 20 ish years ago)

john_drummer
    Free Member

or you could fasten some beading to the skirting afterwards. After years of painting they’ll make a lovely mess for the next owner to tidy up when they remove said beading under advice from a different carpet company…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘skirting board height for carpets??’ is closed to new replies.