Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Skips on pavements – Cheeky b'stard content
  • Harry_the_Spider

The bush is at ground level. It protrudes by about 4″, is 15″ wide and 6″ tall where it crosses the boundary.

The skip is the size of a skip.

Harry_the_Spider

Bush now trimmed back.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I had a job in that London one summer giving skip scaffolding and Cherry picker licences to builders. It was the most stressful job i have ever had by a mile.

There were suprisingly strict rules/ licences required , especially if placing them on the TfL managed red routes. Often meant people wouldn’t bother and we spent loads of time chasing companies/getting them removed. Angry people involved at every stage of the process. What joy

robw1
    Free Member

the footway is technically part of the council owned ‘highway’ so you need permission from the council to obstruct it. This would usually involve means for pedestrians to get around it safely. report it to the council and they will have an obligation to either get the skip hire company to provide access around it or move it altogether.

failing that just dump all your rubbish in it.

convert

The bush is at ground level. It protrudes by about 4″, is 15″ wide and 6″ tall where it crosses the boundary.

The skip is the size of a skip.

Are you getting you “s and your ‘s mixed up? Does something 38cm wide and 15cm tall sticking out 10cm really count as a bush – that’s a barely a plant! Unless you mean 15 foot wide and 6 foot tall sticking out 4 foot over the pavement. Which would be quite a lot of sticking out.

mrhoppy

Skip off private land needs permit, burning of commercial waste is not on, report to EA or through crime stoppers. Big push on preventing illegal waste management from construction at the moment.

Cougar

After a week of talking to the neighbours and their saying they’d sort it out, a call to Environmental Health (I think, as all departments were passing the buck) resulted in a site visit from an eager young man who took some samples of the ash and left a leaflet highlighting the possible penalties for burning building waste. No more bonfires…

It’s the Environment Agency. 0800 80 70 60.

I had a commercial property burning rubbish across the back street from my house. I reported it to the EA who said they’d send someone out and to let them know if they did it again. So I did.

In just one short year and after eighteen separate phone calls to the EA, they finally stopped burning stuff. Good luck with your neighbour.

Harry_the_Spider

that’s a barely a plant!

Correct. It is a big plant growing out from underneath taller bushes that are entirely within the boundary.

They had the cheek to say that they were going to report my mum to the council for obstructing a pavement with it whilst being stood next to their skip.

retro83
    Free Member

We need pics of this situation to properly assess it. Bonus points if you can get an angry builder in frame.

nickewen
    Free Member

Haven’t read all the replies but I would tell them to go take a running jump the bunch of ***** chancers. If it goes on the road it needs proper marking with signs/lights. We had some block pavers leave a load of bags of sand and some blocks on the road with only some red/white tape… before my dad uttered “should we move that son?” Some lass cattled her hatchback into the lot.. proper shunt/bang and bumper hanging off job. Guessing she was pissed/on phone as no one ever came knocking!

antigee

so you’ve been “reasonable” and trimmed the bush – suggest go back to whoever from the builders asked for this to be done and establish why – presumably because someone had complained couldn’t walk past the skip safely – suggest explain to them:
    Skips aren’t allowed on verges/pavements but you’ve helped them out short term …and what about their not neighbourly burning of rubbish can that be stopped?
    suspect you will get someone who says nothing to do with me – so maybe look for the guy in the big double cab that turns up every now and then and buttonhole him with reasonableness – time consuming but maybe ask the oldies what time the big man comes

andylaightscat
    Free Member

LeeW,
    Feels like it, but no, been a building control officer for 35 years so learnt all the tricks for helping out the public when their neighbours builders are being ***** or ‘just builders’ 🙄

Harry_the_Spider

It wasn’t the builder that complained, it was the house owner.

There has been a thing bubbling along for ages about my mum’s garden as it curves round the front of next door’s house (think 1990s estate with bendy roads and bubble shaped parking areas). They have extended at the front up to the boundary and then came round complaining that there was less light getting through the new windows.

When the houses were originally built back in the 90s he sneaked out and moved all the boundary pegs removing the curved bit. It all got messy and the original boundary got reinstated. Last night was just the final straw for my mum. After “Bushgate” the Lady from next door said that if we didn’t like the skip we should call the council. We did.

mudshark
    Free Member

Are you getting you “s and your ‘s mixed up? Does something 38cm wide and 15cm tall sticking out 10cm really count as a bush – that’s a barely a plant!

In danger of being crushed by a dwarf?

antigee

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    It wasn’t the builder that complained, it was the house owner.

maybe go round for a chat and point out that as everyone gets older you’ll be involved in the day to stuff much more and suggest that their builder is maybe taking the p’ a bit – pushy neighbour prob’ quite happy to let pushy builder do stuff – maybe suggest they contact you directly on any skip access problems, any other boundary issues

edit missed the end sentence … no intent on being reasonable I suspect … good luck

Harry_the_Spider

Update.

Neighbour came round and said that his daughter in law was out of order for having a go at my mum, then casually mentioned that they had had an unexpected visit from the council about the burning of building waste.

The council sent another bunch round today to investigate the spoil that has been dumped over the back fence into the council land behind (not my doing, I knew nothing about this). I think there may also have been words about the builders urinating against the fence that adjoins the neighbour on the other side.

The skip is still there though. Can’s wait for Highways Dept. to turn up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Result 🙂

andylaightscat
    Free Member

have you tried phoning the skip company ??

Harry_the_Spider

Not going to. They and their builders have behaved like arseholes. Let them get bollocked/fined.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Not going to. They and their builders have behaved like arseholes. Let them get bollocked/fined.

You do right – they sound like idiots.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Now it’s all over can we see a picture of your moms trimmed bush? 🙂

CountZero

Now it’s all over can we see a picture of your moms trimmed bush?

Thanks, that’s an image thats going to take a very long time to fade from my mind… 😕

oink1
    Free Member

Result!! Nice one! 8)

gears_suck
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s an image thats going to take a very long time to fade from my mind…

Bit of botanophobia eh?

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Skips on pavements – Cheeky b'stard content’ is closed to new replies.