• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Skipping ropes
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

I can skip!! But not very well…

After many years of half-hearted attempts I’ve stuck at it for some months and am now kinda passable. It’s occurred to me, though, that the lightweight speed rope (wire) I’ve been using has probably made things harder than they should be and I’m after a heavier rope (the rope, not the handles). Anyone got any recommendations?

Old school leather jobby or spangly, overpriced, clearly aimed at the crossfitters who just have to have THE BEST: https://www.crossrope.com/??

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My wife ran skipping display teams as an offshoot of her fitness classes. All her ropes were thin lightweight tube and minimal handles. The exercise came from the jumping and moving the weight of the rope was unimportant. Although we had a very pleasant meet with Henry Cooper at a BHF show and he could skip with Nothing other than the old school rope and big wooden handle.s Wifey gave him a little light rope and he nearly got tangled up and almost came a cropper.
    Killing an elderly Henry Cooper would have been a bit embarrassing….

RobHilton
    Free Member

Having very little weight in the rope gives very little feedback, especially when trying to just use my wrists – if I do it badly, with my arms too far out I can feel where the rope is. But this is not good.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

To each their own. The light ropes can feel a bit vague but she could skip on rebounders, lolo balls and pogo sticks so it can be done. As you say, feedback can be minimal.

DrJ

My summer vacation project has been to learn to skip. I have new respect for little girls :-(. After a depressingly short time I lose energy or rhythm – I suspect I’m doing it all wrong!!

I’m embarrassed to confess that this is my skipping rope –

http://www.66fit.co.uk/66fit-heavy-jump-rope.html#

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If you think skipping is hard try to use a Hula Hoop. 😈

tails
    Free Member

I use one of those metal wires encased in plastic, previously I used the plastic ones but they’d break fairly often. Double unders etc are all well and good but I think just skipping burns the most kcals.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Skipping is surprisingly hard [ like Yoga and Pilates]

My advice is try a few and buy what you prefer.

I just use a cheap one personally- think it came free with some sparring gloves many moons ago- as I am not that fussy.

RobHilton
    Free Member

If you think skipping is hard try to use a Hula Hoop

I used to go to a hula class – some of the ladies in their 60s were **** amazing!

I was a bit shit 😆

My advice is try a few and buy what you prefer.

Ok, who does demo days?

willard

I have a couple of rope (yes, CFL1 coach…) and the Rogue ones are pretty hard to eat as long as you can stump the cash. The rope’s a good weight and the bearings make thing easier. They also seem to last a fair bit longer than the other ones I have used.

Junkyard
    Free Member

, who does demo days?

good point well made

Try sports shop
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=skipping%20ropes

Not sure whethe ryou would hget way with doing a workout to be sure 😉

Sorry I am trying to be helpful but realise I am not helping much 😥

RobHilton
    Free Member

No worries, Junks – it was meant to be jovial:)

DezB
    Free Member

I got a good one in TK Maxx (just looked, its says iTru on the handles). Back in my training days I.’d always grab the leather ones – they just work : Good weight and make a nice swishing noise when you do a double 🙂 Used to be able to do the cross arms, doubles, all sorts. Not now me shoulder is knacked though 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gods own answer to obesity and/or eating disorders

Brilliant things – sadly too rare in the playground these days

RobHilton
    Free Member

Gods own answer to obesity and/or eating disorders

Hmmm… I’m must be doing it worng

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

+1 😉

Speeder

I’ve got a couple one wire one which ****ing hurts when you catch your toes with it and another cheap weighted plastic one with a counter which is much more pleasant to use. Still can’t do over about a minute without catching my feet though.

DrJ

Hmmm… I’m must be doing it worng

Or maybe eating disorders have FA to do with exercise.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Skipping ropes’ is closed to new replies.