Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Skipping gears – HELP!
  • alicampbell
    Free Member

I have been working on a bike and simply cannot get the gears tuned. I have replaced the hanger and the rear derailleur, new cable and housings. The gears click smoothly from the smallest cog to the second but after that it’s all over the place and on the 5th click is up on the 7th cog and the cable is super tight. I have been gently tweaking the barrel adjuster but I can’t get it to flow. Any ideas?

Trimix
    Free Member

Make sure the mech hanger is straight, not bent L/R or forwards/backwards.

Make sure each section of the outer is in the cable stop properly and the cable stops are all fine and seated in the cable guides properly. Not squashed or bent or missing.

Trimix
    Free Member

Also, did you actually start with the gear selector in the correct position. Its easy to be one click wrong.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Have you changed the chain or anything else?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I’ll ask the daft question, is the shifter and cassette definitely the same ‘speed’

mtbfix

Assume the shifters and mech are for the same speeds and bike type?

somafunk

check the cassette for bent teeth, check the free hub body is not wobbling as slight movement will be amplified when moving up the cassette, check the chain for stiff links, make sure the cable is correctly fitted to the rear mech pinch bolt. You may need to fiddle with the B-tension screw

alicampbell
    Free Member

It’s a new chain, so no seized links. I have checked that the cable is in the right place in the pinch bolt. Shifter and cassette definitely the same speed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cable off and do the limits from scratch.
    Reset cable and go from there also get the hanger/dropout checked if you can.
    Also is the mech straight?

Bruce

Sorry if this seems a stupid suggestion but did you set two screws that limit the throw of the rear mech first?

mulacs

Disconnect everything and start from scratch! Check that the new run of outer cable from the last stop on the chainstay to the rear derailleur is not too tight a curve, this caught me out a few times. Make sure the new outers are all sitting happily in the stops on the frame and that any new end cuts are nice and clean.
    Ensure the H/L limit stops are set correct when the cable is disconnected, use your hand to move the derailleur through its range. Reset the barrel adjuster on the shifter, and check the shifter is pulling cable through the outers freely. Reattach everything and try again! Good luck…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Apologies if this is insulting your intelligence but you haven’t mixed SRAM mech with shimano shifter or vice versa have you?

Had 3 of those in the shop in the last week with customers adamant it should work…

alexpalacefan

Speed?
    11 speed needs PLENTY of cable between the last stop and the mech.

APF

jezzep

If Shimano check Cable routing!!!! The pull ratio changes if you don’t route the cable the right way. It is not obvious and confuses people when it happens…

Br
    JeZ

Trimix
    Free Member

This is how single speeders start 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s a new chain, so no seized links.

Is it the right length?

bigblackshed

Start at the he beginning.

1: Check that ALL parts are compatible.
    2: Then check the mech hanger is straight. A new one is no guarantee that it’s straight.
    3: Check that the cassette is mounted and tightened correctly.
    4: Check each part for damage / wear.
    5: Jockey wheels?
    6: Cable routing?
    7: Hi / lo mech stops?
    8: Pinch bolt cable routing?

Still no good?

Singlespeed.

*Yes chainline is important.

somafunk

Just a thought but check the gear cable end ferrule is fully seated in the gear shifter, I once had a problem with a ferrule that had rough edges which stopped it fully seating in the shifter, a quick rub with emery paper sorted it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Then check the mech hanger is straight. A new one is no guarantee that it’s straight.

This as a starting point. It’s a cheap tool and easy to do.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Skipping gears – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.