Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Skinny tyres for winter?
  • HTTP404
    Free Member

Thinking of putting a pair of these on the singlespeed for winter. Anybody else had success with this and can recommend tyres? I'm thinking of 1.8s

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I read some research that said, off road, wider tyres offer less rolling resistance!

Wally

specialized sauserwind 1.8 today and fab fab fab in the woods.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I read some research that said, off road, wider tyres offer less rolling resistance!

of course – you know that to be an untruth.

rolfharris
    Free Member

If you want you can buy my used for one 24 hour race Kenda KOT 1.8s off me. They're a good tyre, but it's all rocks where I live and I just bought them to survive SITs. Nowadays I flat refuse to ride on courses that lead to that sort of mud so have no need for them.

I was impresed- I've used skinny IRC Mud Mads and Michelins in the past and these were far superior. Knobbles aren't that tall in the middle either so they tend to behave themselves.

Cheapest I can find them online is £24 each, you can have my pair for that posted.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you know that to be an untruth

no, the reasons given seemed entirely plausible, and the measurements were something like 20W per tyre in typical use. Counterintuitive perhaps.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Used to race a lot on Conti's 1.5" cross country tyres which was great in the days of V-brakes 'cos it stopped all the build up of mud you got on anything bigger. Mind you I was on full sus which took the shock of riding on the high pressures you had to run so they didn't snake bite.
    I suppose you being on a ss will be running no brakes with no suspension and be hard enough to take the pounding so go for those 'cos they only weigh 400 odd gms at the most !!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Conti 1.5" XCs are a revelation in really bad conditions. Soooooo fast, never clog up and roll brilliantly in a straight line. Cornering on hardpack can be an experience however…!

HTTP404
    Free Member

http://www.bernhansen.com/Tester/Dekktrykk,%20bredde%20og%20knastens%20innvirkning%20-%20schwalbe.pdf

Simon – I think you mean this?

I don't think they use soft-mud as one of the conditions.
    But it does look interesting. Will need some time to read thru.

robbo1234biking

I use fire mud pro's which are 1.8's. Ive changed my rear over already but it isnt really muddy enough at the moment and makes the back end quite lively but in the mud they are great

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I use Maxxis Swampthings 1.9

TheSlider
    Free Member

…oh yeah, forgot to say I used to fall off a lot more in those days !!

shortcut

it depends entirely on where you are.

I use the same tyres all year round. But I don't experience horrible claggy mud!

2.1 Kenda Nevs work for me!

mr_stru

Beware that those Conti 1.5s can be a serious pain to get on and even worse to get off.

sc-xc

superstar_opponents – Member

Ace username…

Trimix
    Free Member

Some of the things said about skinny tyres dont make sence to me. If they are skinny they will sink in mud rather than spread the load, that will make the riding hard work. Less rubber also means less to grip slippery roots, rocks, etc with. If the nobby bits are spaced far apart then they wont clog up, but that applies to any size tyre.

I find my trail rakers only really work on muddy wet grass, as soon as its rocky or rooty they slip, if its not that muddy they drag. When they work well is very muddy slop its hard work because of the mud irrespective of the tyres.

I find good all round tyres that are not worn out will work fine in most conditions. Since most of my riding is in a variety of conditons an average tyre will do.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Skinny tyres for winter?’ is closed to new replies.