• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Skin Grafts on arm – recovery and riding, swimming ?
  • iainc

After a stupid off today, resulting in a deep gash and loss of skin on forearm, under and just in front of elbow, I am getting plastic surgery at 8 tomorrow morning. Google suggests probs a local, maybe a general, and I have to fast from midnight anyway. Any experiences of how long these things take to mend. I guess riding will also depend on where doner skin is taken from.

Experiences ?

Drac

Ask the expert tomorrow.

iainc

Yes, I will, but thought I’d go in as informed as I could 😀

Google has been dun !

eruptron
    Free Member

And pictures? You know the rules. How can STW possibly muster a diagnosis without them!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Time you joined EK bridge club Clow…..

scotroutes

He’d only fall off it.

iainc

Pics tomorrow as on tablet, but scotroutes and nobeer have seen on FB 😀

scaredypants

what sort of area (cm^2) are you talking about ?
    I’d have guessed, esp if smallish, that they’d be keen for you to start moving it fairly early after it’s “taken” and properly sealed (may not be too keen on you doing stuff that might result in further damage to the same area)
    (IANA: PS/Dr/former recipient of surgery/shapeshifter)

Doner skin? – thought it was all lips’n’arsoles

iainc

Probs about 6cm2

cynic-al
    Free Member

26 years since I had a graft, my memory is that I was not meant to get it wet. Healing was like normal skin healing iirc.

But the expert is worth asking

allthegear
    Free Member

Elbow you say? Ah – yes – they use scrotum skin for that cos it gives that same wrinkly appearance. Only thing is you have to shave your new elbow occasionally.

Good luck!

🙂

Rachel

integerspin
    Free Member

26 years since I had a graft, my memory is that I was not meant to get it wet. Healing was like normal skin healing iirc.

But the expert is worth asking

I had mine done between Presley and Bolan dieing.
    I had a bit about 3inches by 2inches put on my arm, the donor site was my thigh and they shaved off about four times as much skin as they needed, I guess they were making lamp shades.
    I think my arm was bandaged for 6 weeks. I got used to the smell of rotting flesh.
    I can’t really remember what my leg was like, except I had to explain loads of times over the years about the funny little flaps on my leg, they must have made a sawing motion with the spokeshave.

The graft is still smooth and hairless.

perchypanther
    Free Member

riding will also depend on where doner skin is taken from.

They get it from Marmirs Kebab shop in the Village.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

PP, That’s what his face looked like last time he got his ambitions mixed up with his abilities… 😆

Manualing indeed….

perchypanther
    Free Member

PP, That’s what his face looked like last time he got his ambitions mixed up with his abilities…

Still good lookin’ for EK then?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He slots right in.

holst
    Free Member

I couldn’t shower for over a week, bandaged for 4 weeks, gentle ride to work after 2 weeks, rode off-road after 3 weeks. You need to ask your doctor, you’ll have to wait to see how it heals up before you’ll know for sure.

iainc

😀 ooh, the banter 😀

anyway, this for a week, then a light bandage …

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ooyah! Sair yin!

Elbow pads for Christmas is it?

iainc

^^^ I have a pair, never worn em……

think might do now – just the thin Raceface Charge ones but they would have done the job for this one

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have a pair, never worn em……

<Glesga mammy> Hell bloody mend ye then! </Glesga mammy> 😉

iainc

^^^ 🙂 yeah, but I had my knee pads on 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Skin Grafts on arm – recovery and riding, swimming ?’ is closed to new replies.