Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Skimmed milk; just, why?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looks like rain.

perchypanther
    Free Member

So what is the punchline to the Canoe joke?

I need closure goddammit!

jonnyboi

But the fat content is only 4%.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

I don’t * and I drink at least a litre of the stuff a day.

*if I had a cholesterol check I might.

dannyh
    Free Member

Skimmed milk is nice in tea, semi-skimmed just makes the tea taste ‘cheesy’ to me nowadays. Coffee is different – I can use anything from skimmed to cream and it still tastes good.

vickypea
    Free Member

Wot wobbliscott said.

Also by removing all the fat you lose the fat-soluble nutrients from milk

MrOvershoot

perchypanther – Member

I need closure goddammit!

Its mentioned twice on the 1st page?

MrPottatoHead

Was at my sisters the other day and she has orange top, which is even more skimmed than normal skimmed. There has to be a point when you may as well pour water on your cornflakes.

scaredypants

There’s no pleasure inuit

No, wait, that’s the kayak one

scaredypants

if you pop it into a beaker you can still nearly see through it ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’s all i’ve ever drunk. It’s what i’d have through choice. except i now drink almond milk.

There has to be a point when you may as well pour water on your cornflakes.

which is exactly what almond milk is. 😯

slowoldman

if you pop it into a beaker you can still nearly see through it ?

Is that the punchline to the canoe joke?

Cougar

Low fat spreads manufactured by partially hydrogenated vegetable fats are actually toxic to your body.

Didn’t Esther Ranzen get hydrogenated oils banned in the UK about 20 years ago?

I’ve just checked the ‘spreadable butter’ in my fridge; it’s primarily butter, olive oil and rapeseed oil. </anecdote>

Surely you know, PP. It’s usually used as the definition of American beer – it’s ****ing close to water.

nick1962
    Free Member

Moved back to full fat organic when the kids came along after drinking semi skimmed for years .
    Was a bit creamy in tea at first but so much better in porridge.Drink it all the time now.Added bonus is no one ever steals my milk at work,even office fridge thieves are scared of all that fat!

teethgrinder

thomthumb – Member – Block User
    …which is exactly what almond milk is.

Costs a fortune. Really difficult to attach the milking equipment to the Almond’s teats.

vickypea
    Free Member

Was at my sisters the other day and she has orange top, which is even more skimmed than normal skimmed.

Skimmed is pretty much 0%, Orange top is 1% fat, semi skimmed is 2% fat, whole is 4%.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I always buy the green top whatever that is.. I think semi skimmed, full fat is too much.

welshfarmer

I think Monty Python do it best. About 1min10 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPFClJGqjBQ[/video]

Another thing to remember with the great skimmed milk con is that it is obviously in the interest of the dairies. They but the milk once from the farmers and sell it twice to the public. So when the headlines stae that a farmer gets 20 pence a litre and the supermarkets sell it for 80 pence, that ignores the fact that they are also selling cream and butter and cheese products made from the cream they have skimmed out, while selling the left over by product (skimmed milk) at exactly the same price as the full fat version. And at 4% fat no-one can really consider milk to be a fatty product in the first place.

BigJohn

We used to get green top about 35 years ago when it was unpasteurised. Straight from the cow.
    When our youngest was born we stopped. I haven’t really used milk since.

But as the great Kinky Friedman wrote – sometimes you’ve got to figure out what you like -and let it kill you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Surely you know, PP. It’s usually used as the definition of American beer

Aaaaaah. I see. 😳

Grassy Arse.

globalti
    Free Member

Our elderly neighbours are both sick and malnourished and we do everything we can to help; the children have at last got involved and ramped up the care. A few days ago I noticed they were having a bottle of skimmed milk a day delivered; I told them they might as well be drinking water with a bit of chalk in it and why didn’t they take full fat? It’s not as if they need to lose weight. They agreed and now they are getting silver top. Amazing how nobody had thought to challenge the standard practice.

FuzzyWuzzy

I really don’t get skimmed milk, it tastes nothing like milk. Semi-skimmed though you quickly get used to and I actually prefer it in tea than normal milk.

franksinatra

One of the perils with being colour blind is coming home form the shop with skimmed milk because I’ve mixed up the red and green tops.

Mrs S usually sends me out again telling me that she doesn’t care if I have mong eyes, she won’t lower herself to having red milk in tea.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Someone expressed a request for purchasing milk on the first page.
    If you’re passing through SWales then from Jct 37 M4 you can get to Ty Tanglwyst http://www.tytanglwystdairy.com/ Dairy farm and buy milk, butter and cream from the farm gate (actually from the fridge but you get the gist) and it is delicious.

Yak

Full fat here, except the odd day when my kids buy gold top. I used to drink goats milk and once you are used to that, all cows milk tastes like white water. So I suppose normal full fat cows milk is the best compromise of some flavour and something that most folk/visitors will be happy with in tea.

GrahamS

moistening muesli

There has to be a point when you may as well pour water on your cornflakes.

As mentioned on the PETA thread, I gave up drinking milk and putting it in cereal or coffee a few years ago. (not for PETA reasons!)

I generally moisten my muesli with fruit squash. Apple works well.
    Or I have porridge made with water.

(porridge and muesli often have milk powder in them anyway, so in reality this is just reducing the amount of milk I consume)

I suspect it is like drinking Diet Coke. Your palate just adjusts and eventually you get to the point that real Coke tastes sickly sweet.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m just going to leave this here.
    I’ve learned a lot today about milk, tolerance and evolution.

https://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471

globalti
    Free Member

This kind of stuff fascinates me. Jared Diamond explains in his book Collapse that the Vikings colonised the west coast of Greenland but their colonies eventually failed because they didn’t embrace Inuit hunting technology (kayaks and spears) to gather their vital fats and proteins but persisted with a pastoral lifestyle. It was the more northerly of their colonies that failed first thanks to having just a few hours a year less sunlight for growing the crops they needed, which tipped them into food deficit.

MSP

I have read something similar before, it is interesting on two points, the evolutionary advantage the genetic variation gave where dairy farming existed is observable science proving evolution. And the fact that you either have the genetic variation or you don’t, if you don’t then drinking milk is pretty nasty, projectile puking and diarrhoea, there is no half way house of “intollerence” making you feel a bit meh.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Can you buy real milk anywhere these days like they used to make the cows make?

My local dairy (who also delivered milk in glass bottles which were returned and reused) did this. Great in summer, thick, creamy and I suspect well over the 4% fat content with cream that floated to the top. Less great in winter, less cream and a weird taste that was apparently due to the turnips fed to the cows. Gone now though

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Skimmed milk; just, why?’ is closed to new replies.