• This topic has 152 replies, 81 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Skim links on the forum
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Has this function just been enabled, automatically inserting sponsored links into users’ posts?

I don’t usually complain about efforts to monetise the site (being in digital media myself I have sympathy) but this strikes me as intrusive and distracting.

The links appear just as though a user has deliberately inserted them, which many of us sometimes do to add context or a reference to a post.

I’m not imagining this am I? I haven’t been sleeping well lately with a cold.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s mentioned in the freeloading thread, think it probably needs some explanation. Same as you I’m not a fan, does it appear to the ‘p’ members too?

TomB

Yes, just clicked one thinking it was a link by the op, and I’ve got a ‘p’. Don’t like them, didn’t know such a thing existed til now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s all over most of the forum/user community sites

phiiiiil

I thought they were generally a different colour or double underlined. Not being obvious whether it’s a “proper” link from the poster or a random made-up link is rather annoying.

Drac

They went live yesterday. This thread might be handy for feedback.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What are they?

I don’t remember seeing one, therefore would like to know what to watch out for, ta.

chakaping
    Free Member

Skimlinks

And they are appearing on the site exactly the same as the manually created URL I just posted there.

Shackleton

I’ve just come a cropper with them thinking they are a genuine posted link (ironically on the other thread about what needs doing to the site to improve it). I have a P and everything. Not cool. Currently on mobile so no way of checking the link destination before clicking and no way of visually distinguishing them from real links.

beej

I thought having a “P” meant no adverts. Having these advertising links visible to “P” members removes that benefit. That feels wrong.

For non-P people, make sure they look different to links added by the poster – a different colour or extra underlining. And yes, I know I can hover to see it’s been added by Skimlinks but not quite so easy on a touchscreen device.

phiiiiil

The macbook ssd thread is full of them! They caught me out…

Edit: Heh… there’s one right there now, I didn’t do that…

peteimpreza

Feedback .

Part of the reason I have subscription is to have an advert free forum .

Disable this function or face a lost subscription .

trout
    Free Member

Agree with Pete above its rubbish

bearnecessities

Yeah, but maybe without the limp flounce threats? 🙂

It’s a trial anyhow, so no need jugs jugs big jugs pie cake Kelly brook.

Edit: It really is rubbish.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The macbook ssd thread is full of them! They caught me out..

Hmm, I’m not seeing any thankfully 😉

cyclistm
    Free Member

Ah that explains why my post about pedals created a link to hargroves cycles. It’s really misleading as it looks like I linked to them, but I didn’t.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Hmm, don’t see any of them so far. Is my “P” better than your “P” or are they not activated in mobile Chrome?

cp

What the hell?

Sorry STW, I agree with most of what you do, but this is stupidity.

If they stay I’ll be another one cancelling my renewal.

thecaptain
    Free Member

FFS that’s basically forging posts to pretend that genuine posters put the links in. In what way is this better than real spammers, other than STW getting a cut from them?

cp

they not activated in mobile Chrome?

No they are everywhere, they look just like normal links. Most sites make them a different colour or something, these are effectively blending in with most users legit links.

chakaping
    Free Member

TBH I’d still be anti even if they were green-dotted underlined, as is more usual. Please don’t even think about making them auto-pop-up.

If they are regarded as an economic necessity then I’d agree they should not appear to Premier customers.

maccruiskeen

Edit: Heh… there’s one right there now, I didn’t do that..

Ah that explains why my post about pedals created a link to hargroves cycles. It’s really misleading as it looks like I linked to them, but I didn’t.

I don’t have a problem with having advertising delivered to me, so long as it doesn’t obscure content, but I think quite rightly that people will have a very legitimate issue with appearing to endorse products or sellers. It turns us into shills

It all sits pretty awkwardly against policies the site has for posting links for Sports Pursuit – even linking to Daily Maul articles. I think it also leaves you open to spam accounts being used to astroturfed – create posts that they know will automatically create links.

Shackleton

What is wrong with sport pursuit linking?

Mark

Morning.
    Yes it’s a trial. I activated them yesterday.
    I need to judge your reaction, which is happening obviously. But I also need to judge revenues.
    There are controls and various settings I have at my disposal and I’ll be pushing a few buttons over the next few hours.

Cheers
    Mark

bikebouy
    Free Member

So, can I clarify (because I haven’t seen any yet)

If I post a thread about say, hmmmm a pair of Thompson CX bars I’ve just bought, and say I gave a little “review” Y’know.. Yup they’re Ace kinda thing..

That because I mentioned a Brand and the word Bar, that a link would appear in my thread created by some advertising spambot ?

If thats the case, I don’t want that option and I don’t like it at all.

I’d like STW to comment on this please, ta.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well Marks offered up his opinion, thanks.

So its a conscious decision then Mark?

You are putting them in place?

Not for me that Mark.

I’m out.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ll be pushing a few buttons over the next few hours.

I think you already have 😀

Make them a different colour and I’d have no problem with them – otherwise they’re a bit spammy.

jimdubleyou

I don’t like it. It makes it look like I’ve put a broken link to a shop I don’t use.

u02sgb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be happy with that either. -1!

GrahamS

Do not like. 🙁

Making them look identical to a link posted by the OP feels almost fraudulent.

Making them a completely different style avoids that, but breaks up the flow of text and makes it annoying to read.

leffeboy

I haven’t seen any on this site yet but they are something I despise. It’s not just the fact that they might appear to trick you into thinking a link is genuine, it’s that they make the whole site just look like one giant advert. It’s clear there is advertising but normally the ads and content are separated so that’s easy to deal with. With SkimLinks it’s right in your face and makes you think you are permanently just reading adverts 🙁

Drac

So its a conscious decision then Mark?

You are putting them in place?

It’s a trial. It’s about income and how browsers and mobile operators is having an effect on ad income, Mark can give more info on that. He did yesterday on another thread.

Stoner
    Free Member

Don’t like at all.

Since “P” doesnt work you’ll have to rely upon other methods to overcome them.

Rio

I’m seeing skimlinks in Edge but not in Firefox. Think I’ll stick with Firefox.

If you’re going to do this then you really need to distinguish between the skimlinks and user generated links. I’ll be reluctant to post anything otherwise (some may say this is a good thing) as I really don’t want content I’ve generated linking to things that I may not approve of.

lerk
    Free Member

If the premier subscription isn’t enough to fund the running of the site, put the price up…
    But kindly **** right off renaging on the deal to remove advertisements if I pay.

As previously mentioned by others, especially given the appearance of the links being identical – the implication that I might endorse these links without any knowledge of their existence worries me greatly…

I too will likely cancel my P if this is not resolved.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I don’t see them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do not like.

Making them look identical to a link posted by the OP feels almost fraudulent.

Making them a completely different style avoids that, but breaks up the flow of text and makes it annoying to read.

Agreed. Also, as Bikebuoy mentions above, it looks like it’s some sort of endorsement from the poster. Which it shouldn’t be.

Not keen. At all.

chvck
    Free Member

Make them a different colour and I’d have no problem with them

+1 for me. If it’s obvious what they are then they’re easy to just ignore, for me anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

people will have a very legitimate issue with appearing to endorse products or sellers.

I first noticed this when I made a mildly disparaging reference in the CTC thread to a large internet retailer named after a South American river.

There’s a touch of irony in that then being turned into a link to said retailer.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

If I had paid for a P, I’d be somewhat pissed off right about now.

As a non-P, it’s hilarious.

Mark. Maybe you should have at the very least put a sticky informing the forum of your plans? Just a few lines to say you were testing and it’d be for a few days etc.

…..or maybe have a pop under saying as much? 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Skim links on the forum’ is closed to new replies.