Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Skills Course Review
  • SaxonRider

If anyone is thinking that a trip to the continent for some riding is what they are after, they might want to throw in an option that is slightly closer to home.

Forest Freeride, operated by Stuart Wright on a breathtaking 20-acre farm in West Wales, is a Mountain Bike skills school that caters to riders at every level.

After fifteen years of riding (well, more like ‘owning mountain bikes’) without any real improvement, I was recently given the chance to spend two days on a course at Forest Freeride. My time there time began with a conversation on where I was at as a rider and what sorts of things I disliked most about riding, or that I wanted to improve. I don’t know if it was because Stuart has a sixth sense about what people need or if it is simply the ‘done thing’, but we then moved into building up my trust in the bike by spending some time on proper braking. From there, we spent the afternoon tackling individual obstacles, during which time it was explained to me how to handle these before getting the chance to practice.

There was no coercion exercised at any point, although I was certainly encouraged to try each thing; it was in the middle of the afternoon, though, when I finally encountered something that really put me off: a rocky rolling drop of a few feet in height, set between two trees, with what looked like a short stopping area immediately after, just in front of a river. Before the course began I would never have done it, and even after my few hours of instruction I was nervous. But a quick tea break strengthened my resolve, and before the afternoon was out, I had managed to do it (with some finesse, I like to think!).

The second day was really an opportunity to put the first day’s lessons together. The set-up at Forest Freeride is such that you don’t have to go far to practice different things, and on ground just above where we had been the previous day is a network of descending runs that incorporate different obstacles. It was brilliant.

At one point, Stuart explained that we needed to ask ourself what sort of rider we were. We might be able to do black runs at trail centres, for example, but how were we doing them? Well, after two days’ under his tuition, I’m not sure I would make any great claims for myself, but I would say this:

I will unquestionably be able to do more than I was ever able to do before; I will be able to do it better; and the enjoyment factor will be a whole lot greater.

Now, in addition to what I have said about the course itself, a few words on the location and accommodation are in order.

As I already mentioned, Forest Freeride is set on a farm in West Wales. But that doesn’t begin to describe it. This is twenty acres of some of the most marvellous landscape in the UK. On top of that, students are put up in a bunk house on the property, which is actually a converted barn done up to the highest standard. Frankly, I would be delighted to spend a holiday there with my family. And a night’s accommodation is free with each day of riding booked.

The hospitality really is second to none, and coupled with the excellent tuition, I can hardly think of better way to spend a weekend.

sc-xc

bump 😉

mk1fan
    Free Member

Sounds like you found it very valuable.

Personally, I think everyone can benefit from skills training and I always ride better after our guided days in the alps.

I am supprised that there haven't been some of the usual STW responses – which is a good thing

user-removed
    Free Member

BUMP!

vinnyeh

bump?

lexiekay
    Free Member

I went on a skills weekend last summer with Forest Freeride, and I agree with the OP's comments. Stuart was a really good teacher, and managed to make the course work for all 6 women on it, who had all come with different levels of skill, and different objectives. The bunk house was brilliant, there were some friendly locals at the pub, and the location was fantastic, I even managed a lap of Climach-X before the others arrived on the Friday. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend (except for my superman-style crash off a drop!) and I definitely felt that I'd learnt loads.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d resurrect this one.

A big up for Stuart at Forest Freeride

I had a very helpful coaching day with him at his farm in mid-Wales which ended up being a private lesson as I was the only student. He’s a solid technical coach who has really dissected what is going on with my riding, things I could not see myself. Over the day I felt real trust in his directions, and the instructions made complete sense – it’s like seeing with new eyes. We went right back to basics and he diagnosed a fault with my attack position that’s been causing significant problems. There’s a good bit of psychology and the interaction between the mind and the dynamics of riding – it works too. Throughout the day we progressed through various small obstacles that he has meticulously constructed on the hillside above the farm, but all the time the principles are reinforced and applied. The day ended with quite a few more obstacles even further up the hill so it looks like I’ll be back in 6 months for the next progression.

Oh, and the price is very reasonable, the fine bunkhouse is basically free, and do overdress because a whole day spend chatting on a hillside in between riding short obstacles does not keep you warm!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Thanks for that Stewart … your fee’s in the post 😉

Stuart

cubemeup
    Free Member

looks good but thats not West Wales!!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

We’re much more mid Wales … what’s sometimes described as, the green desert.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No it isn’t west Wales, it’s the back of beyond, and a rather lovely, overlooked area it is too.

cubemeup
    Free Member

2 hrs 15mins north for me!! whats the one rowan does?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I know Rowan did some stuff for Dirt School down in south wales … I assume he still does.

Trimix
    Free Member

I often read these “write ups” about skills courses and wonder if it would work for me. I can see it worked for the people posting the write up, but what if you feel your normal skills are fine. What if your breaking, cornering, obstacles, Trail ctr black runs etc are fine. Im sure we can all make small improvements, but i want a big improvement.

What I really want to do is proper jumps – you know the ones kids seem to do and make it look easy. The ones that you look at and think sh*t, I will die if I land that wrong. Can a skills course teach me that, or do I just need to go out and do it. Which is what all those kids at the jump site did anyway.

Do skills courses teach them, or is it all just normal trail riding skills ? Those of you who have been through the teaching process, do you think it would work for jumps, doubles, hucks etc ??

BTW, all these post skills courses write ups say the same thing, has anyone read one that says it was crap or a waste of money ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“2 hrs 15mins north for me!!”

Heck, twice year I day-trip to Afan which, for me, is longer than that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“has anyone read one that says it was crap or a waste of money ?”

No. And I suspect it’s because in the main, they aren’t crap. As to whether coaching will suit you and your riding level I cannot say. I’m not a novice rider, happy to ride easier DH tracks or black graded trails. But do I ride them well? Do I heck!

I think the real benefit comes from having an expert objectively de-construct and then reconstruct riding, then apply that though a progression of riding situations. A lot of what Stuart was coaching I sort-of knew, but didn’t understand or properly apply.

As for VfM, honestly do you think £75 is a lot of money for an entire working day of someone’s time? Consider also that Stuart offers comfortable on-site accommodation free – I would otherwise have spent his coaching fee on 2 nights B and B!

Just do it. 😀

Woody
    Free Member

FWIW I think that is fantastic value for money and I’d be there like a shot if they could take dogs and it wasn’t a 5 hour each way trip 😥

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Trimix, that’s a pretty difficult question to answer as everyone’s different.

If we use drops as an example … the mechanicals of riding a 3′ drop are pretty much the same as for a 6′ drop. The mental side of things can be quite different. Neither drop is rollable but your mind sees the 6′ one as being far more dangerous. A good instuctor can help you to understand that it’s possible to ride both and show you how to ride them but the bottom line is … when you’re stood above, getting ready to approach this 6′ drop you’re on your own, your actions determine the outcome.

Some people thrive on this ‘pressure’, others can’t handle it as well … Good instruction will be progressive and the progression from the 3′ drop to the 6′ will be gradual, you’ll almost sneak up on it 😉

Stuart

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, so lets take the little freeride area at the top of Cwn Carn then. Im happy riding round it, but sh*te at doing it properly. I get little bits of air and either crap myself or plough into the face of the second half of the double, or endo the tabletop.

Rationally I should just spend time there riding it and analysing it then riding it again. I think I know what I should do, but usually only ride it once then Im off downhill and it never gets repeated enough to imporve or put into practice what I know I should do.

Should I just spend time up there or spend the money and get you to teach me. Which would be better / faster / eaiser ?

Can you teach me to ride it like those chaps in all the mtb videos we watch ?

The price is not the issue, FFS I spent 6k on the bloody bike, so a days coaching is cheap.

scottidog
    Free Member

Trimix you just need to go a bit faster matey. Speed is your friend.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yeah, scottidog you are right. Ive been riding the jumpy bit over at Woburn for the last few weeks and your exactly right. What I really need to do is just go there with a sole purpose and keep doing it.

Normally I ride all over the place for hours instead of just “sessioning” one bit till Ive got it nailed. (sound like some FR dude now)

I should talk one of my regular riding buddies into it and spend some time watching and improving each others technique or lack of.

Or should I just pay for it ?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Without seeing you ride I can’t really say, however there’s no substitute for time spent on the bike … if what you’re practicing is correct then keep practicing and you’ll get better. If what you’re practicing is wrong then stop right now, you’ll only make it worse 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, I need to ride faster and practice and find a skills course near me. (or crash and mull it over in hospital)

jack_noy
    Free Member

Trimix- it’s definately worth just spending some time on the areas that you’re struggling with or feel you could improve on. If you can get a mate to video, then watch it back- if that particular run felt good -see what you’re doing right, if it felt sketchy see what you can change. watching a few good biking films never hurts. But there’s no substitute for practice! the skills coaching is great because it accelerates the process by telling what you’re doing wrong and how to improve within the session- where as by just practising lots it may take a little longer for you to work it out yourself.

popstar
    Free Member

Forest freeride skills course does sound great. Especially VfM, bloody hell. 2 Days riding with accomodation is a little adventure on it’s own. IMO qualified skills course instructor will improve confused rider, it’s just that those instructors have different style in teaching but ultimately you still reach your own goal.

Trimix if you ride in Woburn, talk to local* Jedi about your concerns and see from there. I was baptised by him, and can’t recomend him enough. I didn’t struggle to ride Blacks or DH trail at all but felt there was something more to my riding. The man changed me big time, I had the same concerns like you did (Jumping) but realised there was much more to riding than that. These days Jumps-Drops-Doubles or whatever, I eat them for breakfast. Well not really, I don’t claim to be riding god but my riding buddies did see a big difference in me after skills course.

That was best upgrade ever made. Forest freeride does sound good too, I mean as mentioned above people spend ££££ on bikes but forget about most important missing link.

It takes some riders to realize their skills years and years, while skills course can accelerate that. But all will depend on you as a rider.

Are you prepared to be shown the truth?

-Son, the truth may be expensive*. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Normally I ride all over the place for hours instead of just sessioning one bit till Ive got it nailed”

Yeah that’s a familiar story for me too: I never practise anything. But that has to change now I’ve been given something concrete to practise.

My apologies Stuart, I have not practised today due to a flaky knee and it’s snowing. So I have been out in the woods tending trails instead. I will resume practise when the knee stops hurting.

SaxonRider

buzz-lightyear – Member

My apologies Stuart, I have not practised today due to a flaky knee and it’s snowing. So I have been out in the woods tending trails instead. I will resume practise when the knee stops hurting.

You’re lucky, Buzz. i haven’t been on a bike since I did my course with Stuart. And that was back in May.

I will probably need to go back in order to re-do everything when I am able. That is, if Stuart will let me… 😕

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Welcome back anytime SaxonRider 😉

buzz if you get the fluffy white stuff we’ve had, then your knee should get plenty of time to mend!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“if you get the fluffy white stuff we’ve had, then your knee should get plenty of time to mend!”

Only about 1-2 cm on the hill so far, but I’m going up to The Hunters’ Lodge for food/pint and a closer inspection.

I get irritation and pain in my joints from time-to-time, usually coinciding with taking holiday. My last week off, in September, was ruined by a painful ankle. If I keep popping the brufen and rest up, I’m sure the knee will be fine by the time I return to work 🙄

_tom_
    Free Member

Good write ups, can’t wait for my skills day with Jedi in a couple of weeks 🙂 Hoping I will re-gain my “wheels off the ground” confidence and generally carry my speed better through corners and rooty/rocky bits.

backhander
    Free Member

still s8tannorm, I take it you’re expecting some serious snow over the winter, when would be the next good time to come?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

backhander I wasn’t expecting it quite so early. Most years we’ve been fine uptil Christmas and Jans being a bit hit and miss.

If the weather breaks then there’s no reason why December wouldn’t be possible, if it doesn’t then I’d be inclined to say Feb as a safe(ish) bet.

Sorry that doesn’t help much.

Stuart

backhander
    Free Member

Can’t guess the weather! If that’s been the score for the last few years then I’ll look at booking a couple of days in feb. Do you run courses through the week?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

7 days a week, 365 days a year if need be 😉

General 1 and 2 day courses are run ‘on demand’ as it were, we’ll fit in around you. Ask for it to be kept as a one to one and we will … at no extra £.

jedi

tom, see you in a few weeks.
    popstar, i sue the herts skills area for coaching ( primarily )now instead of woburn . see you on the trails soon

backhander
    Free Member

Cheers still s8tannorm. Can’t wait.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Skills Course Review’ is closed to new replies.