• This topic has 31 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by duir.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Skills area in Lake District
  • rab5474
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a decent skills area in the lakes.

I have been asked to do a bit of coaching and leading for a week based out of Ambleside and need an area to do some skills training on the first day, generic trail centre skills area would be ideal. Does anyone know of any close by or within an hour or so drive. Also any route suggestions for the remainder of the week would be great. Its been a while since i rid up round that way

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Grizedale NF trail.

cyclelife
    Free Member

As an instructor/guide. shouldn’t you know the areas you coach/guide in? Doesn’t sound very well thought out to me!

rab5474
    Free Member

Good shout cheers

cyclelife
    Free Member

Good shout cheers

What,the area suggestion, or knowing your job?

rab5474
    Free Member

@cyclelife i’m an army instructor and can lead people on un familiar terrain, i generally lead and guide in my local area so that i have the upper hand in that respect. This trip got dropped on me this afternoon and we are heading there on monday, so i don’t have enough time to head up early and ride the routes beforehand, as much as i would like to.

One of the elements to being a good guide is understanding your group dynamics and risk assessing as you ride, i am merely asking for route suggestions as i know alot of the best routes cant be found by doing a google search

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’d wouldn’t like to have to explain that one at a inquest but no doubt some sort of cover up would keep you out of trouble 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rab, ignore, just another Ill informed troll. 😀

cyclelife
    Free Member

Not “ill informed” but qualified, experienced and intelligent!

rab5474
    Free Member

I don’t really see how asking for people to share some decent routes that my group will enjoy and i can research and plan beforehand makes me any less credible as a leader or coach, however i could be completely wrong, care to share your thoughts cyclelife

Trekster

Whinlatter, nr Keswick for assessment day. Blue route is good fun. Follow that with a trip round the south red route which is a bit easier than the north loop.
    http://www.cyclewise.co.uk

Some route guides here; http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/route_advice-2039.aspx They also sell the routes as small section maps for a couple of pounds.

More routes; http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/bike-routes

Even more; http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not “ill informed” but qualified, experienced and intelligent!

Yes, but Ill informed as to what the OPs experience and situation is. But flame away.

breadcrumb

Whinlatter has a little skills loop, not sure if it’s just for Cyclewise training though. It’s worth an ask.

Good trails too, blue would be fine for beginners, nice berms and a few features too.

cyclelife
    Free Member

It just sounds like you’re leading in the “unknown” which I’m sure you appreciate is not good practice and leaves you open to criticism. I have never taken any group, however competent or incompetent on a route that I have not pre-ridden, in fact it states this in my training manual.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Again, you are assuming he won’t ride beforehand? And a trail centre is hardly the ‘unknown’ 😆

cyclelife
    Free Member

@cyclelife i’m an army instructor and can lead people on un familiar terrain,

Oh, sorry my lord I didn’t know that drop was there!

rab5474
    Free Member

@cyclelife, i dropped the A bomb so that you wouldnt think i am some random punk with a basic qual i have served my time logged my days and progressed through the system. And yes i do agree that in an ideal world i would be 100% familiar with the routes.

And again i agree, my previous qualification stated that i had to be familiar with the terrain to remain legal. My latest ticket allows me to lead on any terrain including stuff i have never set eyes on. So i am fully within my remit to do as i plan to do.

To everyone else thank you for the input and suggestions

rab5474
    Free Member

@cyclelife if you would like i can send you a copy of my log book for your approval

cyclelife
    Free Member

You’re safe and ready to go then! best of luck 😉 Glad my tax is being used wisely by HM.

rab5474
    Free Member

you can take comfort in the fact that your taxes are being used to support and promote mountainbiking within the forces and help soldiers return to normality, we also pay each venue visited around £7 per rider which will help to keep the trails in good order, and generate a bit of business for the local economy

bullroar
    Free Member

I’d suggest Whinlatter for the first day rather than TNF. There is the mini loop near the shop (assuming they OK with you using it). Also easy to loop round the first section of the blue that starts near the shop. With a bit of planning also easy to loop the blue sections between Mas Mill and Revelin Moss car park using fire roads.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Rab – I have seen army groups on Whinlatter in the past, so that would seem suitable! Grizedale TNF is okay, but a little lacking in excitement… although there are one or two fun sections. The natural stuff around there is superb though – pretty much every BW marked on the map is worth a run!

cyclelife
    Free Member

ok, you’ve almost won me over!

As long as you’re safe that’s great!

TomB

Cyclelife, do you have a website for your instruction/guiding, I’m nearly sold!

rab5474
    Free Member

Thank you everyone, i think i have a good plan to keep the lads interested for the week, assesment day on monday at whinlatter followed by mix of natural and trail centres for the rest of the week, cheers guys.

@ cyclelife, i strangely appreciate your initial concern. I know to well the effects poor leaders/ coaches can have. Only last week whilst leading a group of my own i witnessed a group of school kids and their “coach” bombing down a tricky rock section, before i could stop the stupidity, bang a young girl with a broken collerbone and a very bloody face. “Touch wood” in over 100 logged days i am without incident. I have now set myself up for a nightmare next week lol

thekettle
    Free Member

Rab, pm me if you need any more ideas for rides. Been coaching in the lakes for several years. Have a good week!

cyclelife
    Free Member

@ cyclelife, i strangely appreciate your initial concern. I know to well the effects poor leaders/ coaches can have. Only last week whilst leading a group of my own i witnessed a group of school kids and their “coach” bombing down a tricky rock section, before i could stop the stupidity, bang a young girl with a broken collerbone and a very bloody face. “Touch wood” in over 100 logged days i am without incident. I have now set myself up for a nightmare next week lol

Seriously, I hope it goes well, just seen so many “gung ho” leaders out on the trails and had to clean up after one!

rab5474
    Free Member

Cheers guys for all the tips and cyclelife for your genuine concern.

Thekettle i will give you a shout when i get home to run a few of the natural routes past you if thats ok

Thanks again troops

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Rab, if your keen to do something round the Ambleside location then as one post says pop into Bike treks and pick up a few route maps, I’d steer clear of Helvelyn or real hight gain especialy in winter, there’s a cracking loop taking in Loughrigg, Elterwater, Hodge Close, High TIberthwaite & if you fancy exploring go into Cathederal Quarry for a look see, take a torch though for the tunnels. Hope you have a good time, Only word of caution most lakes route are all about rocks.

Cheers
    Mark

rab5474
    Free Member

Again guys thank you for all the tips, is bike treks open on sundays? I

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Yup it is Rab, very good shop also you’ve got the fantastic bakery next door, check out the fruit filled bath buns but they sell out quick every day.

duir
    Free Member

Go easy Cyclelife, you are making some big assumptions about this chap. No point getting on your high horse with someone that is humble enough to ask fellow instructors/riders for advice and help. That alone tells me he is far from Gung Ho. You, me and 100’s of other people out there are qualified and experienced MTB instructors………..so what? Maybe we could use that knowledge to help out a fellow instructor instead of trying to make yourself look superior at his expense.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Skills area in Lake District’ is closed to new replies.