Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Skiing/Boarding in Finland – whats it like?
  • mudpup
    Free Member

Thinking of going boarding in Finland. Mrs Pup and Jnr Pup (6 years) will be skiing. Last time i went was USA about 8 years ago.
    Has anyone been and what were you’re impressions. Always wanted to see Northern Lights and not interested in european resorts. Not fussed about techy runs for me – this one is all about taking jnr for the first time and having a bit of family fun. Its also significantly cheaper than Europe with much shorter transfers.

BoardinBob

It’s pretty flat. In fact it’s like Holland compared to the alps. A lot of the best freestyle snowboarders come out of Finland, mainly because there’s no big mountain riding so they focus on the freestyle stuff. The resorts are also pretty small.

twohats
    Free Member

You might be better trying Sweden. Åre being the biggest resort, lots of other smaller family oriented resorts about too.

donald
    Free Member

I understand in mid-winter it can be very cold and there isn’t much daylight. Later in the season it gets less gloomy.

zarquon
    Free Member

Been to Finland 3 times and loved it, but I am a X-country boy and not a downhiller. The “hills” are pretty tame compared to what you get in the alps or Rockies, so if you are a good skier I should imagine you would get bored easily. That said, if you are a beginner, its a fab place to learn. Pyha and Yllas have downhilling and I enjoyed going there, got a very cheap, late deal through Inghams. Expect high prices for apres ski. If you’ve got the cash I would recommend flying into Helsinki and catching the sleeper to the resorts, it’s fantastic to wake up on the train and you’re north of the arctic circle and everything is white an magical. Costs MUCH more than a cheapo flight to Roviemmi tho.
    Temp is about -30 in January. March/April is a better time to go as the days are longer and the temperature is less severe.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Finland, Finland, Finland,
    The country where I want to be,
    Pony trekking or camping,
    Or just watching TV,
    Finland, Finland, Finland,
    It£§s the country for me.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Very cold and quite flat. The minttu is good though.

PaulB
    Free Member

Hi

Levi in Northern Finland is near to Kittila airport and one of the many homes of Father Christmas. A small ski area compared to europe etc, very friendly people and most speak English, they really want you to have a good time and enjoy yourselves, unlike our neighbours (IMO). There is also other things to do, XC skining, dog sledding, reindeer sledges, ice fishing, saunas and hot tubs at -20C are quite pleasant.

Paul.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Skiing/Boarding in Finland – whats it like?’ is closed to new replies.