Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Skiing with the kids
  • roughneck
    Free Member

Any where good. Kids take prioity

bruk

How old are they and how much experience do they have?

Budget would be useful too!

roughneck
    Free Member

Has any body stayed at la brunerie at les deux alps.

roughneck
    Free Member

There 4 and 6 with no experience and about 3 K

devs
    Free Member

Flaine very good. Les Gets is too apparently. I just go to Val d’Isere now. After 2 hols my boys can nail the face de la bellevard back to resort so it doesn’t really matter where they stay.

scotabroad

I would recommend some of the smaller resorts. They are easier on the wallet and 4 to 6 yr olds dont need massive amounts of Piste. We always took the kids to France and put them in ski school there. However the french ski school instructors are not to everyones liking. They can be quite firm, but that said our kids always enjoyed their time there.

Depending on how strong they are it might we worthwhile booking them into a creche type centre for the afternoons so they can have a play and mum and dad can have a ski. At that age both ours skiing all day but some kids can get really tired after half a day.

We have been to the smaller resorts of La Clusaz, Vars, Le Corbiere with our kids and it was just right for them with central meeting points some easy runs and fun stuff through trees at the side of the piste.

For deals try the co-operative travel website.

Bunnyhop

They are at the perfect age to start skiing.

I would consider some of the smaller Italian resorts. Passo Tonale is good, or Folgarida.

Try asking for advice over on snowheads. com (the ski version of STW).

roughneck
    Free Member

Looks like the week after half term.

scaredypants

if budget is really 3k, phone ski esprit & talk to them about their resorts after having a think about what you all want – local pub/dancing/icerinks/shopping/sleighrides/othershite. They should be able to talk sensibly about all that, plus the proximity and nature of beginner areas to each of their chalets

their child care is as good as it is expensive IME

They may already be discounting remaining holidays so might save a bit of cash

lucien

Agree with Bunnyhop, Italy better for kids than France – particualry the ski schools. Some of the smaller, gentle resorts (incl Passa Tonale) would be Sestriere, Bardonecchia (Italian Alps) – paid about the 3k mark with some of the bigger tour operators (1st Choice, Thomson) and you get pretty rubbish accommodation but if you can handle that the budget should be fine. French very stuff about learnign to ski the right way, ski schools very regimented, nothing taken into account for language differences (French or nothing), no fun elements, no chance of the kids bottle it to hold back, change the lesson or anything like that.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Esprit are brilliant. would never take my child with anyone else

big_scot_nanny

Second opinions that small prob better with wee kids, and remember, happy kids = happy holiday. I will throw in a different suggestion, how about a Kinderhotel?

We have stayed at hotel alpenrose in the very wee resort of Lermoos in Austria. Skiing for adults is enough (actually, I really loved it, and you are within easy reach of other stuff if you want), and it is a truly magical place for families. we went with a 1.5 and a 3.5 year old, and it was bloody fabulous. Can’t wait to go back! Many accommodation options.

http://english.hotelalpenrose.at/

It is close to Innsbruck so you can fly and then a short transfer that the hotel will pick up the tab for. it is very good value, although initial outlay might seem expensive, as all things are laid on and the child care, kids facilities, kids ski instruction, and furthermore the facilities for adults are fabulous.

kev

PaulMc
    Free Member

We are off to Puy St Vincent in the french alps next month with http://www.snowbizz.co.uk. Not used them before but they get very good reviews. They use this resort only and run their own kids ski school. Everything is minutes walk from the accommodation, which we know from experience is very important with kids. It’s costing us £4k for five including flights, accommodation, kids skis, five hours kiddie care/ski school a day, and evening meals for the adults during one of the busier weeks.

Did think about kinderhotels but in some of their hotels the adult skiing is a bus ride away, which is not ideal.

silverT4
    Free Member

<b>La Brunerie</b>- Stayed there 2 years ago at Easter. My son was 4 then and attended “European Ski School” in the mornings for his first trip. This consisted of playing in their snow garden with skis on. By the end of the week he was skiing limited bits on the upper slope with me and Mrs ST4. La Brunerie is about 200 yards from the nearest lift (red eggs?), but at least double that to the ESS, Ecole Ski Francais (ESF) is nearer. Don’t recall any easy skiing back to Duex alpes, but is was the end of the season.
    La Brunerie was ok, we were seated in the upstairs dining room, but service seemed quicker downstairs. Crystal had their baby sitting service in the hotel, so paid the extra and dropped son off early to get a good mornings skiing in before needing to collect him.
    For Information – Last year we skied at La Plagne 1800, Son went to ESF ski school. Just returned from New Year in Soll in Austria, IMO quite a good place for beginners -fair few easier runs and nice wide red runs. Son attended Austrian Ski School (Ski schule Soll) which seemed ok. By the end of the week he was skiing parallel with step turns across the slope, which meant that he could ski with us for a shorter day. HTH.

roughneck
    Free Member

its being upped to £4k going on the 27 of feb.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I’d use some skis. The kids will be quite heavy and bindings will be a bit of a problem. Not to mention the problems with social services…..

bruk

We always go as a group each year and one of the best places when we had kids with us is Kaprun in Austria. Can’t remember the name of the hotel but quite small quaint little village.

Good family skiing low down and some more advanced stuff up the Glacier.

Going with our 6 mth old this year to La Plagne so not worried too much re skiing, mostly catching up with friends and getting a bit of time on the board.

GW
    Free Member

I know it’s not the STW way but before you go and blow 4 grand would it not make sense to take them somewhere closeby for a lesson to see if they actually enjoy it?
    My daughter (8) recently learnt to ski in a couple of 2hr lessons locally and got on great a few weeks later in Norway.

roughneck
    Free Member

Going to escape next week at Cass.

GW
    Free Member

Ah, cool! 8)

roughneck
    Free Member

Just found out it’s the French half term on the 27th of Feb so we may go to Austria. What’s St Anton or Obergurgl like?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

St Anton is a great resort but not ideal for beginners.
    Also, remember that its “partytown” and attracts a certain clientelle.

I’d certainly second the Italy & Austria sentiments but go for the smaller family oriented resorts. You’d likely find At Anton a bit too full-on for kids of that age.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d never go to Austria again after experiencing the worst queues of my life at Mayrhofen (sp?)
    When our boy first started took him to Norway (Geilo), fantastic place for the kids to learn – small resort and never gets crowded. Went 3 years in a row as it was so ideal. (Not that great for me, but the snowboard park kept me interested.)
    Now he’s bigger and more confident (ha! Are kids ever not confident?!) we’re going back to France (La Plagne) this year.

roughneck
    Free Member

Le Plagne looks good

Bunnyhop

roughneck – I would consider La Plagne (we’ve just returned from there). There are only 2 green runs, and they’re next to all the shops and cafes, which is where all the ski schools meet, so that’s very child friendly.
    The only bad thing about La Plagne is the way the resort is very spread out, so if your accommodation is in Plagne 1800 for example, there will be a bus ride, so consider very carefully where in the resort you’ll be staying.
    The blues are a little harder than the Italian resorts I named above. However if your children are sporty and fit, they shouldn’t be a problem.

As said above St Anton is a ‘real’skiers resort and not suitable for families imo.

I have had bad experiences skiing/queueing with children in Austria, so I’d give that a miss until they’re a lot older.

roughneck
    Free Member

I hate looking for holiday!! Can some one just tell me where to go!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Skiing with the kids’ is closed to new replies.