Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Skiing or snowboarding?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

OK, so I know, bit of a silly question for various reasons. But anyway..

I currently snowboard. Can happily get down most runs, but still definitely a beginner, probably had 2-3 weeks on snow in total. At the stage where I am starting to try jumps etc.

I love snowboarding. But, I’m thinking about skiing. I’d love to not have to walk on flat bits and hate life on pomas. Would be cool to do some big mountain ski-trekking type stuff, which doesn’t really work with snowboards (unless you get into split-boards). My girlfriend is a very good skier, so would be fun to be able to ski with her too.

My girlfriend has a couple sets of skis which would fit me, which I can have, which has kind of prompted this dilemma.

So anyway, what do you guys think? I’m obviously not good enough at snowboarding that it’s silly to change sides, and I do tend to pick up new sports pretty quickly, but it will be frustrating to start again.

One other thing – I have issues with shoulders dislocations, don’t know if that should make any difference to my decision..

So has anyone swapped from one to the other? How did you find it? (I know which you prefer is obviously personal preference) etc etc

tl;dr

Currently snowboard, thinking of swapping to skiing, thoughts?

Ta, Duane 🙂

russ295
    Free Member

my wife swapped to skiing a few years ago, ive been snowboarding 20 years plus and have never had the inkling to ski.
    she never really got past the early beginner stage on a board but she can get around ok on skiis.
    she claims skiing is easier.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I do both. Skiing was first and then added boarding and neither seemed difficult to learn. There’s no reason not to do both at different times.

I only use the board when there’s something approaching decent powder – when I was learning, 4 out of the group of 7 of us finished the 4th day with either separated or dislocated shoulders. I was one of the lucky ones, but it does colour my view of boards on pistes. All of those injures happened in the run in to tows.

So I stick to skis on piste and also for touring which you’ve alluded to. It isn’t for everyone, but being able to wander off on long days in the hills knowing you can get back down in minutes as the sun sets is great.

agent007
    Free Member

I know a few people who have skied who now snowboard but not the other way round. Do what feels best for you but I’d say after 2-3 weeks snowboarding then you’re only really still finding your feet and it would be a shame to give up. A couple more weeks and you’ll have enough speed, confidence and forward planning to avoid getting stuck on all but the very worst flat sections. I know plenty of people who both ski and board and all of them without a shadow of a doubt would say that ultimately boarding is more fun and playful. There’s simply nothing like the fluid floaty nature of powder turns on a snowboard. Skiing is more practical though so if you’re looking for a means of transport then it wins hands down. Can’t comment on your shoulder other than to say get it as stable and strong as possible with excersize. If it’s a real concern then skiing could be marginally less risky for it, but then skiers always seem to be rupturing their ACL’s so horses for courses I’d say.

Woody
    Free Member

I do both but having skied first I’ve never felt truly ‘comfortable’ on a board despite having boarded for 10+ years. I think that might be the same in reverse although it could be that it’s a case of 2 edges are better than one + it feels more natural for me to be facing ‘ahead’ rather than ‘side-on’.
    As you have very limited time on a board it’s probably worth giving skiing a try to see how you get on. Both are very satisfying in their own way and as oldbloke says ^^ boards are fantastic in powder if you can get it !

Edit: should have added that modern skis are very forgiving, so the learning curve will be very quick as you already know how to turn and use an edge.

Speeder

I’m a boarder with several months worth of riding time and I never thought I’d be interested in skiing but in the last few years I think things have changed with having kids and not getting much chance to do it. I’m now quite tempted to try a pair of skis. My knees are obviously terrified at the prospect but I think it would be good for family holidays as I think kids can start skiing earlier than then boarding and the two don’t really mix (though it’s damn helpful having friends with poles at times).

Just do it, you’ve a load of relevant experience and the basic techniques are quite similar when you break it down so the transition is easier than starting from scratch. What’s the worst that can happen?

best of luck whatever.

plumber
    Free Member

Only on the basis that I want to keep my knees I’ll stick with boarding but I’ve done both

mark90
    Free Member

Boarder (intermediate ish) here turned occasional skier. I’ll never be quite as comfortable on skis where my legs can go in different directions, but it makes a nice change. The groups I go with are predominantly skiers, some very good. One lunchtime having ‘done’ the small resort on a board I thought it a good idea to borrow some boots and skis to give it ago. My ‘mates’ had me down a black by tea time. No points for style but I survived to ski another day. Now mix it up with a bit of skiing and boarding most trips.

sofatester
    Free Member

A couple more weeks and you’ll have enough speed, confidence and forward planning to avoid getting stuck on all but the very worst flat sections. I know plenty of people who both ski and board and all of them without a shadow of a doubt would say that ultimately boarding is more fun and playful. There’s simply nothing like the fluid floaty nature of powder turns on a snowboard.

Spot on.

Once you get to a level where you can pop from piste to powder, turn quickly and precisely the whole mountain really opens up for you.

Though if you want to go exploring away from the crowds with your GF then it sounds like Skiing is the way to go. Do remember to be competent enough to undertake big off piste tours can take quite a lot of snow time.

Best bet would be to do a season and get yourself to a decent level at both!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Here is a thread I started on thus very subject before our trip last year!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sorry-ski-or-snowboard

batfink
    Free Member

Getting stuck on flat sections on a board is all to do with your confidence carrying speed.

Most people crash on the flats because (when carrying less of an edge) the board has a tendency to turn into the direction of travel….. following the line of your shoulders. Once the board turns too far, you catch your toe edge and go “over the bars”. People are wary of this and so go slower – which just makes a crash more likely.

A good trick to avoid this (taught by our mental snowboard instructor) is “Michael Jackson style”: Put your lead-hand on your balls (hence MJ), and your trailing hand on your arse. You look like a ****t, but it really makes sure that you don’t turn your shoulders, and so allows you to carry more speed.

Learning this made such a huge difference – I hardly ever get caught on flat sections now.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If you aren’t totally into it and chomping at the bit to ride again after three weeks I suggest crossing to the dark side .

Which is actually really great as well… !

shifter
    Free Member

Reasonable boarder, occasional skier here and I say – do both!

As well as the powder I love ripping the board down crispy cord, it’s all good.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I am also a boarder and not a skier. Have never been on a pair of skis but my children can all ski pretty well and it seemed much easier to pick up than boarding. One thing I do find is that the rhythm of boarding is very different to skiing where it is much easier to stop and socialize mid piste where it becomes a bit of a PITA on a board where you either have to stand on an uncomfortable position or sit on the snow

passtherizla
    Free Member

Learn to flat base the flat sections and go into them as fast as is possible.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve done both but I stick to boarding. Yes it’s a faff having to do the bindings up whilst my mates on ski’s want to shoot off but to me it just feels like more fun.

If there’s any part of boarding you don’t like, have lessons. You can never have too much tuition. Also maybe look at your equipment. A couple of years ago I upgraded my board to a freeride one which genuinely works great in powder or on piste. It’s made me more confident in all aspects of riding.

Flat bits, yeah just get comfortable with straight lining it and blast through them. You’ll learn to love the buzz you get from going fast. Then you can take that speed onto other parts of the mountain and after a while you can keep up with most skiers. Try 60mph on a board and see if it doesn’t put a huge grin on your face!

You say you’ve had shoulder problems yet are moving onto doing jumps? Get that wrong and your shoulders will know about it if/when you catch an edge on landing. 3 shoulder ops for me at present!

If you really want to try skiing then I’d say definitely give it a go. I could manage black runs on my first day, not because I’m good but because I took the “roll with the punches” approach from snowboarding into skiing. I had a few crashes but nothing too bad, at the end of the day though it just didn’t feel as much fun so I’ve largely stuck to boarding since.

Regarding your other half being a good skier and you maybe trying ski trekking etc. I’ve done some decent days out off piste with guides. It doesn’t matter if you ski or snowboard to do that, you just have to be good enough to get down safely. And safety is everything.

Best of luck and enjoy the mountains!

david47
    Free Member

Yes it’s a faff having to do the bindings up whilst my mates on ski’s want to shoot off but to me it just feels like more fun.

Get some flow bindings… You can do them up while moving straight off the lifts… then its a bit of a faff waiting for the skiers to put the ski pole loops over their gloves 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, we have a special ski and snowboard thread 👿

I’ve been skiing 35 years, have tried boarding a couple of times but its such a massive step backwards for me I didn’t keep t up. IMO skiing is easier to progress reasonably quickly, the falls are not quite as bad (head, back, wrists) but there is a greater risk of knee injuries. I think boarding is fantastic for off piste especially the “chopped up snow” which is a PITA on skis sometimes. If you want to tour rent a split board. The key to boarding on flat bits is to avoid them ! Its interesting that when I ski in a mixed group with boarders we take time to chose different routes to avoid the flat. I also think skiing is better when the snow conditions are poor, something to bear in mind and perhaps useful to have skiing skills for that reason.

My 2 cents would be try the skis if you want (perhaps at a snow dome) but I think with another 2 weeks your boarding will come on a lot so would lean towards persisting with that.

PS only joking about the other thread ..

Earl
    Free Member

I’ve boarded for yonks. Can’t ski well but if it was up to me, board on powder and nice piste – ski when the conditions are difficult.

russ295
    Free Member

As previously stated I’ve been snowboarding for over 20 years.
    With out sounding like a dick, I’m at a pretty good level on/off piste, not interested in freestyle.
    I’ve spent many weeks riding with level 3/4 basi instructors.
    What I see, is the the majority of resort riders have had a few lessons or have been taught by a mate and can’t progress as they have bad techniques ingrained into thier riding.
    That’s where the frustration sets in as they want to go faster/steeper and they haven’t got the skills to do so.
    How many times I’ve heard or read “I’ve been boarding (please don’t call it that!) a week and was doing blacks etc”
    Yes you probably have been down a black, heel edging all the way down then rear foot – counter rotation turning for the rest of the week with the classic handbag arm.
    IMO try and get on a riding week with a reputable snowboard school. It will improve your snowboarding ten fold and you’ll be having that much fun you will forget about the urge to ski.
    And flat basing, it’s a pain expecialy with the new style reverse camber boards but what catches people out is when the board wants to wander, go with it for a few seconds because it’s you that’s making it wander, then once your happy get back to flat or gently onto the other edge.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

wideboy
    Free Member

I actually took the plunge last year:

Been snowboarding for around 10yrs, lucky enough to have lots of snow time, all over the world, rode Japan last season 🙂 By no means a pro, but experienced on and off piste including backcountry.

Had been pondering skiing for a while, lots of my mates ski, but really didn’t want to go back to being a beginner.

Anyway, had a spare week last Dec and signed up to a UCPA weeks ski course. Picked it up really quickly, having worked out how edges, sliding on snow, lifts, hills etc work on a board already, it all transferred really well. Falls are much more pleasant than on a board, you tend to roll onto a hip rather than give yourself whiplash!

I love both sports and as above will now decide which I do on the day due to snow/avalanche conditions. I’ll only ski in Scotland now due to the antiquated lift systems and general faff. Skied 10days in spring this year and it was great. I’d have been bored silly on my snowboard.

So i’d give it a bash if I were you, but book lessons! In my experience partner teaching partner rarely ends well, but is entertaining for bystanders 😉

Have fun.

chrismac

Switched from boarding to skiing 2 years ago. No intention of switching back, takes a bit longer to get the hang of it but a lot easier to get around the resort and less tiring

oliverd1981
    Free Member

After about 7 years and 14 or so snowboard holidays in finally tried skiiing last year, after thre half day lessons I was quite enjoying cruisng blues and the like, but as soon as it got steeper it was no fun. On a board I kidded myself that I was okay on a steep red after a couple of weeks, but it really took 5-6 weeks to be any good.

I’m not sure that I really want to put the time and effort to bring my skiing up to the same level as my snowboarding. I might try it again if I end up somewhere with marginal conditions, but at least I know that it’s generally not for me.

My wife however has gone back from a board to skis, is enjoying it a lot more and her speed has improved too.

Flat bits – keep your weight on your back foot – it’ll act like an anchor and keep you in a straight line. the scary part is taking this idea to progressively steeper sections of piste.

passtherizla
    Free Member

david47 – Member
    Yes it’s a faff having to do the bindings up whilst my mates on ski’s want to shoot off but to me it just feels like more fun.

Get some flow bindings… You can do them up while moving straight off the lifts… then its a bit of a faff waiting for the skiers to put the ski pole loops over their gloves

don’t do it flows are the worst. proper bindings ARE better. I first used flows over 20 years ago and they were as bad then as they are today.

passtherizla
    Free Member

david47 – Member

Get some flow bindings… You can do them up while moving straight off the lifts… then its a bit of a faff waiting for the skiers to put the ski pole loops over their gloves

don’t do it. flows are the worst. proper bindings ARE better. and you can put them on whilst moving. infact theyre better because the stupid flappy highback on flows doesnt drag in the snow. terrible things. I first used flows over 20 years ago and they were as bad then as they are today. have tried modern ones very recently.

shifter
    Free Member

Takes no time to do up normal bindings. I’m normally waiting for the faffing skiers…

russ295
    Free Member

Ditto on the flows. Woefully horrible things, speaking from experience!

DezB
    Free Member

Most has already been said, but if there’s no powder and (like me!) you’re too old for the rails and jumps and stuff, skiing is cool on the pistes. Pretty quick to pick up the basics if you’re already a snowboarder, but you have to put the time in to learn properly.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Had a couple of weeks skiing when younger then started boarding for several years. Now gone back to skiing / ski touring and backcountry type stuff. More versatile than boarding – its nice to be able to enjoy moguls etc.. My partner is Austrian – she went to boarding in her teens having skied since v.young. She’s now back skiing as are the majority of her schoolmates.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m not sure that I really want to put the time and effort to bring my skiing up to the same level as my snowboarding.

In a nutshell. I would do it if I felt committed to doing some ski-mountaineering. Ski’s are more practical but it’s a long time since I practised skiing. I do miss the ability to herringbone/skate on ski’s – it’s a nice feeling technique and you whizz gracefully past all the shuffling skiers and hopping boarders

I don’t find snowboards tiring except on some ski areas where there are an excessive number of flats. Mostly you just look up and go at full pelt and make it, but it takes time to get confidence that you wont catch an edge. If you get scared you tense up and then you start to catch edges!

When I rent a board, I use use regular ratchet bindings and find them easier to deal with after the inevitable crash in deep powder, but they can be a bloody faff and tiring to do up. When using my own board, I have some old Flows which are quite good on groomers and light power situations (mostly of the time) and are way less faff than regular ratchet bindings. But they tend to become a sort of “bucket” of snow if you get out and walk after a crash in the pow and a bugger to clear-out when you want to set off.

Most of the clippy binding solutions from back-in-day (e.g. clickers) foul-up too easily. But Flows are still here because they do actually work quite well.

klumpy
    Free Member

On no account should you do this.

GeForceJunky

As already said, learn to relax and ride flat on the flatter sections. Also, whilst they do have disadvantages, buy a ‘bent the wrong way’ board and say goodbye to ever catching an edge. I use a Burton Nug reduced size board and its awesome 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have considerably more weeks skiing experience than snowboarding, but if I could only choose one it would be skiing. Why? Here are the downsides of snowboarding based on my experience:

– Drag lifts are much harder to deal with than on skis
    – You will end up on some flat terrain having to walk
    – The inevitable stopping and waiting is easier and more relaxing when you can stand rather than trying to balance on a board or sitting on your backside
    – It hurts a lot more when you fall
    – Skis are more naturally at home on piste than snowboards (IMHO). Since you are more likely to have good plentiful piste skiing than off-piste – in Europe at least – it’s worth being honest about what type of terrain/snow you’ll be riding/skiing on

That said snowboarding in fresh powder is ace. Have both 🙂

agent007
    Free Member

??? This is exactly what you should be doing, and if you plan in advance you can get enough speed to clear almost any flat section going. Speed is sometimes your friend and once you get used to it, often you’ll be more stable at high rather than low speed. Plus accidents at speed are often better for your body than low speed accidents (with speed, provided there’s nothing in your path, you’ll tend to slide along the slope rather than go straight down hard into it as you would at low speed).

Flat basing will feel strange at first as the board will move around a little underneath you. The key is just to relax, weight even or slightly back and let the board do its thing beneath you. If you feel it’s about to go tits up then just ease your weight slightly onto your toe/heel edge as appropriate.

A board with a flat base (K2 or similar) or a forgiving base (Battalion triple base tech) will make things far easier and avoid the dreaded edge catch when learning to flat base. Similarly buy a board with the fastest sintered base you can afford and it’ll glide far more easily across the flat stuff.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah flat basing the flat sections going as fast as possible is exactly what you should be doing. Don’t forget to wax your board often for added slip slide goodness

Speed is your friend. Unless you catch an edge 😀

With regards to pistes and snowboarding that’s when you learn to butter and press .

passtherizla
    Free Member

klumpy – Member

Do enlighten us?? Been riding 22 years. serves me and the people I ride with very well.

russ295
    Free Member

I try and hit flats faster than is possible!
    I’m not a lover of completely flat, I normally favour an slight edge swapping when necessary.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Skiing or snowboarding?’ is closed to new replies.