Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Skiing – moving on to using poles or not
  • geoffj

Mini me 1 has had about 5 days on skis this year – his first season. He’s keen to progress, but doesn’t want to use poles. He’s seen a load of twin tip skiers without them and is adamant that they aren’t necessary and just wants to ski without them.
    It feels wrong to me, not to ski with poles, but I’m struggling to convince myself that given his arguments, he should use them.
    To be fair, he’s not usually the most coordinated (like his dad!), but he is progressing well and having fun without them.
    What say you lot?

scaredypants

Leave him to it

very few little kids ski “properly” enough that poles would help technique and he’ll learn soon enough that he needs them to move around on flatter snow

footflaps

I don’t use poles to ski, never really found them any help except in uphill lift queues.

nbt

On the other hand, show me any racer who doesn’t use poles – slalom, GS, Super G and downhill racers all use poles, and it isn’t because they’re queueing. Poles have a part to play, but you can make do without

legend
    Free Member

make him use blades instead of skis as punishment

gonefishin
    Free Member

How old is he? If very young then it’s probably fine but poles are of huge use as an aid to timing and body position. I’d not be without mine.

Edit. I’d also lay odds that those twin tip skiers he admires used poles when they were learning to ski.

thehustler
    Free Member

At biginner level poles aren’t really necessary, but when you move to ward advanced skiind poles are a good ‘tool’ used for ‘spotting’ your turns

geoffj

He’s 10. I might have to encourage him a bit more – he’s such a stubborn wee bugger though! 🙄

At biginner level poles aren’t really necessary, but when you move to ward advanced skiind poles are a good ‘tool’ used for ‘spotting’ your turns

I get that, and I get the extra balance thing, but he’s turning and balancing pretty well without them tbh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’ll be a stage at which he’ll maybe taking instruction from some cool* instructor and other better skiers in the same class have poles. He’ll change his mind soon enough then. 🙂

*in no way cooler than his dad of course. 😛

slowoldman

Is he still snow ploughing? If so then perhaps poles aren’t really an issue. Once he’s stemming and parallel turning I would guess he’ll quite quickly see the benefit. They are definitely an aid to timing the turns.

geoffj

There’ll be a stage at which he’ll maybe taking instruction from some cool* instructor and other better skiers in the same class have poles.

Is a good idea – I’ve not been overly impressed with what I’ve seen of the local instructors though.
    Maybe leave it for this year and book him into some lessons abroad next year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Skiing – moving on to using poles or not’ is closed to new replies.