Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Skiing jacket – will I freeze
  • bellerophon
    Free Member

We’re going for a very short (3 day) ski trip, this dare2be jacket caught my eye, do you reckon it’ll be okay? I’ll have 2/3 layers under it…

glenh
    Free Member

Rather depends on the weather surely. Could be anything from -20C to +20c.

justatheory
    Free Member

That looks like it will do the job. A good baselayer is important when it comes to keeping warm, although if you’re on the top of a mountain and it’s -20, you’re going to feel it, whatever you’re wearing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Doesn’t say whether it has a snowskirt on it…or the equivalent thing inside the sleeves (whatever that’s called). Not that you’ll ever fall of course…more for when you’re flying through that deep powder. 🙂

I’d never go skiing/boarding in a jacket without the skirt. It’s a basic must-have for snowsports jackets IMO.

Have you checked the jacket specs on Dare2be’s website?

EDIT: It has a snowskirt, better specs here on dare2be’s website

cheers_drive

Will be fine for European resorts.
    I’ve worn just a windshirt and baselayer on sunny days and even in a gale and whiteout a softshell with microfleece and baselayer underneath was fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh i dont have a skiing jacket – i just wear a northface hyvent waterproof shell and a buffalo active pertex – normally … and adjust layering to suit windchill

it is but a name …. and perhaps a powder skirt to end up round yer oxters doing no good !

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, bit of a bargain. Just take plenty of layers.

bellerophon
    Free Member

cheers, just bought it

if I freeze though…. 👿

GrahamS

I’ve worn just a windshirt and baselayer on sunny days

I’ve got photos somewhere of me riding the park at Mayrhofen in a t-shirt.

OP: you’ll be fine. I generally wear an uninsulated jacket to keep the wind/wet off then adjust layering to suit conditions.

Good thermals are always useful.

jam-bo

I’d never go skiing/boarding in a jacket without the skirt. It’s a basic must-have for snowsports jackets IMO.

most snow skirts seem totally ineffective when you actually need them. More hassle than they are worth in my opinion.

GrahamS

Snow skirts work for me.

No draughts on windy days. No snow inside jacket (unless I really stack).

If you get matching systems (i.e. Burton jacket to Burton pants) then you can sometimes connect the two together, giving you a stealth onesie.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If I’m pulling rad tricks in the park an’ shizzle, I just do it in a lycra onesie, but for general windy days, I like the snowskirt. I know what jam bo means about them being a pain sometimes, but their usefulness outweighs that for me.

Gee2daEss, where are you going on your midweek pass?

Woody
    Free Member

Should be fine.

I remember years ago, after a 6 or 7 year break from skiing and fairly skint, I bought a one piece from C+A for £79 in their sale and trotted off (amidst much piss-taking from my expensively Goretex clad mates) to Val Thorens. At the top of a long exposed chair which had broken down for 1/2 hour, I was the only one who’s teeth weren’t chattering. How I laughed 😆

midlifecrashes

It’ll be great. I’ve only ever done a couple of days skiing at a time and never bought specific kit. Usual walking/biking gear works just as well with the right base layers and ventilation. Not died yet.

GrahamS

Gee2daEss, where are you going on your midweek pass?

I’ve been upgraded to a full week pass! 😀
    Still planning, but looking like Jasna in Slovakia for much cheapness and in-bounds off-piste fun.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Erm, when you planning on going? (could be a leading question)

GrahamS

10th till 18th March. Wanna come? (email in profile)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oooof. 18th March, I’m coxing an eight at Veterans’ Head of the River in London.

Keeping an open mind. Any idea of budget costs at the moment?

GrahamS

Yep, I sure do:

RyanAir flights to Bratislava are ~£65 return (+£15 each way for hold baggage and £50(!!!) each way for board/skis – we’re doing two boards in one bag to save cost).

Train from Bratislava to Liptovský Mikuláš is 15€ each way.

Chalet accom is ~£220 for a week B&B

Lift pass is 166€ for 6 days.

Beer is ~60p a pint. Evening meal for a fiver.

Dan at http://www.chaletslovakia.com/ has been really helpful with our questions. Propaganda Snowboards also have a chalet there.

globalti
    Free Member

Ouch! I’m just back from a week in the 3 Vallees where passes for 2 adults and one child were 575 squid.

GrahamS

Ouch! I’m just back from a week in the 3 Vallees where passes for 2 adults and one child were 575 squid.

Why ouch?

A six day child pass is 116€, so 2 adults and one child would be 448€ (around 371 squid at current Euro to Cephalopod rates).

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve always just used my hillwalking stuff- Gore-Tex, fleece, base layer. No problems.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve always just used my hillwalking stuff- Gore-Tex, fleece, base layer. No problems.

+1. Just wear an extra baselayer if it gets really cold – merino is good for this. I got proper salopettes from TK Max.

birky
    Free Member

I had a few days at Glenshee last winter. First time skiing in 20+ years and didnt have any gear. Wore my goretex motorbike jacket and trousers which were fine.

Woody
    Free Member

10th till 18th March

Hmmmm that’s when I’m off.

Where are those flights from GrahamS

GrahamS

Flying out from Liverpool on Sat 10th and back to Edinburgh on Sun 18th.

But you can also go from London, Birmingham or Bristol (all with RyanAir).
    http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/uk/bts/cheapest-flights-from-united-kingdom-to-bratislava.html

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Skiing jacket – will I freeze’ is closed to new replies.