Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Skiing in Bulgaria – Pamporovo
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Evening all. Has anyone been to pamporovo? What’s the verdict? I’m mostly concerned about how nice the food may or may not be?? Good ski area?

TheDTs
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIYm5B_Pw8[/video]

Not been there but have seen this on here in the past, so not rushing to go to Borovett.

A bit of discriptive language in contents.

CheesybeanZ

Smoking is treated as a national sport in bars restaurants and well everywhere really .

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

Hi there skied there about 12 years ago as a complete beginner. Early Jan so was bitter cold, good snow, old slow lifts but adequate, on mountain restaurants were limited – 2 I think- but wholesome stews and bread. Restaurants were ok nothing special, booze was the same price as here but shots were 4x the size. After a few days we had done all the runs but then we just did them faster. Overall as a novice it was 7/10. Went to Andorra soldeu the year after skiing was 10 times better.

Speeder

Don’t do it. I spent my first week on snow there and it’s a tiny hill (it’s definitely NOT a mountain, it’s smaller than the Malverns) with few runs.

It’s cheap for a reason. AVOID (unless you’re not there for the skiing/snowboarding)

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks all.

CheesybeanZ

Andorra +++

Mark

Learned to board there. It was fine. Had a great week and I’ve been to smaller resorts. Its Cheap and cheerful.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

We’ve been to austria, Italy Andorra before but can’t justify the prices. We want somewhere that’s reasonable with decent food and good ski school. Not bothered by huge resorts

turbo1397
    Free Member

Been once, wouldn’t go back in a hurry. In ‘hill’ really. Snow wasn’t that great either. And it was a long transfer.. would go anywhere else first..

russ295
    Free Member

Was there in 94 ish.
    Was only one hotel in the centre and one on the hill and a little hut style village.
    Small resort, never been back. Been to borovets about 5 year ago and wouldn’t return.
    Been to Bansko many times and although I quite like the place, last time was full of out of control nutters.
    Andorra also gets the thumbs up from me.

mgmbmtb
    Free Member

Think some of the above comments are a bit harsh. I love Pamporovo and the Rhodopi mountains a really soulful place. Definitely the most picturesque Bulgarian ski resort. We go every year (got an apartment in a nearby village) and have a great time – we have young children and probably Pamporovo is more geared for a family holiday rather than apres-ski and jagerbombs whatever.

There are other places to visit nearby Smolyan, Stoykite (which you can ski to) and Shiroka Laka (almost untouched since 14th century)

Also for the summer months…
    Bike Park

Food is fine, nothing to worry about. The places by the runs are a bit basic – but part of the experience. 4/5* hotels in the town service great food by anyone’s standard. And that’s a BG 5* so its half the price.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not been to Pomporova but have been to Bansko. You’ve got to realise that these resorts are a decade at least behind established European resorts. The ski areas are very small in comparison and facilities are improving (thanks to our handouts to the EU). The season is shorter also so a narrower window for good snow due to lower altitude, but out of 3 weeks there over the last three years I’ve had two with snow conditions easily as good as any I’ve experienced in the best Alps resorts (going in mid to late January into early Feb), last year wasn’t great, but neither was it in the rest of Europe that year due to a particularly warm year. They are improving year on year, certainly the on-piste toilet facilities. However that is all reflected in the price. The food is very good and very reasonably priced, very Stew and dumplings style, but delicious, and the best kebabs I’ve ever had (don’t worry about horse meat. They export that to us). We were a party of 4 adults and 2 kids and we’re eating decent quality food with beer and wine for about £40-odd all in in the Bulgarian Mahanas, a bit more in European style restaraunts, but you’d have to try hard to spend as much as UK prices and really try hard to get anywhere near the Dick Turpin French resort prices where you’d struggle to get a pizza slice and a Coke for that. Night life is good also, certainly as good as other ski resorts. They are not resorts for half decent skiers, but a viable and cheaper alternative to European resorts for a family of beginner/novices. The Bulgarians are…..different.

I wouldn’t want to recommend to anyone unless I knew them well enough to know if it would suit them, but certainly worth considering if you want a cheaper family holiday and you’re all beginners or novices. If you’re after glitz and glamour of Alps resorts, you’re definitely looking in the wrong place.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Skiing in Bulgaria – Pamporovo’ is closed to new replies.