Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Skiing in an Endura Stealth or similar bike jacket
  • jfletch
    Free Member

jfletch – it was a black, but sorry I didn’t have my clinometer with me – its a funny little story, thats all

Saying something like blah blah blah 45 degreee blah blah blah comes across as you going mwah, look at me, billy big balls, bow to my awesomeness.

If you don’t know how steep it is, just say “steep” rather than pull some ridculously large figure out of your arse.

chiefgrooveguru

I ski in a Paramo Velez and Cascada trousers. I’m not sure I could fit enough insulation underneath a more closely cut cycling specific jacket (I certainly couldn’t under my tiny flimsy Pocket Rocket!) but I don’t see a problem with baggier cycling stuff if it has decent pockets, venting, storm baffles, cuffs, collar etc and isn’t going to be easily ripped open when you crash at the top of a piste in bad weather.

perthmtb
    Free Member

jfletch – it was a black, but sorry I didn’t have my clinometer with me – its a funny little story, thats all

Saying something like blah blah blah 45 degreee blah blah blah comes across as you going mwah, look at me, billy big balls, bow to my awesomeness.

If you don’t know how steep it is, just say “steep” rather than pull some ridculously large figure out of your arse.

Well if you’d seen me ski, you’d realise I’ve got absolutely nothing to brag about 😀

I really think you should take your pills and calm down a bit – your tone is getting rather offensive…

wallop

I didn’t see him as bragging, I thought it was a funny story. Had me in stitches early this morning. Been there – ended up on a black as a beginner with no escape route so my friend took my skis and I went down on my bum – split me in two, I can tell you!

Woody
    Free Member

I’ve worn an Endura jacket several times skiing on warm days, where it was very welcome compared to some of my ski jackets, which were way to hot.

I don’t see why it would be a problem as long as you can fit enough layers underneath to keep you warm and lets face it, if the weather is that bad you will be able to borrow or hire something suitable if necessary.

jfletch
    Free Member

I really think you should take your pills and calm down a bit

You’ve got to admit your story had a whiff of Apres bar bragging about it rather than self depreciating “I slid further on my arse that I did on my skis” humour.

I’d liken it it to cake shop bragging about 6 ft drop offs and such like.

This is more humble

Been there – ended up on a black as a beginner with no escape route so my friend took my skis and I went down on my bum – split me in two, I can tell you!

mactheknife

Jfletch, you need to chill, I liked the wee story and it had me chuckling this morning, I certainly did it raise my eyebrows when 45 degree slope was mentioned because simply I could not care less, its all in the context of the story. Do things like that really matter to you?

Woody
    Free Member

You’ve got to admit your story had a whiff of Apres bar bragging about it

I must have missed the ‘bragging’ bit. It was just a little anecdote FFS 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You may be ok. Two criteria – do you have something that is warm; do you have someing that is waterproof. FWIW I use trad ski jacket and lighter but more waterproof alpine jacket. Then adjust depending on conditions and use different layers. I am rarely cold in th body but it’s extremities that get me eg fingers etc.

I do not know stealth but if waterproof and with suitable layering it may be ok.

Ski stuff makes MTB look a bargain!

Woody
    Free Member

Ski stuff makes MTB look a bargain!

You are not kidding.

I came across This little bargain when searching for a Christmas present for the GF. I somehow managed to not press the ‘buy’ button 😉

ps. does anyone else have trouble with Snow and Rock’s site?

jfletch
    Free Member

I certainly did it raise my eyebrows when 45 degree slope was mentioned because simply I could not care less, its all in the context of the story. Do things like that really matter to you?

I simply pointed out that 45 degrees was at the least improbable. Calling someone on a something that appears to be a massive humblebrag is hardly the stuff of epic insults. But everyone else seems to have gotten their knickers in a twist about it.

I’d be the other way round if someone was claiming to have ridden it on a bike.

Woody
    Free Member

This thread is worth it purely on the basis of massive humblebrag 😆

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hey jfletch, lets nip this in the bud before it becomes one of those STW epics, and just put it down to the usual mis-interpretation of the typed word shall we?

I’m sure if we’d actually met in a bar apres ski we’d just have a good chuckle about it and a gluhwein… 😀

Cheers!

DezB
    Free Member

everyone else seems to have gotten their knickers in a twist about it

I didn’t! I just thought: eurrgh, Henri Lloyd 😉

wallop

Henri Lloyd – not OK on jumpers, but OK on sailing gear – that’s right, isn’t it?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m just not posh enough.

nealglover
    Free Member

I really think you should take your pills and calm down a bit

I do take my pills very regularly, pain medication for my “Robo-Shoulder” (see earlier post)
    which often hurts like hell in winter, even after 15 years.

I still have trouble seeing it as all that funny to be honest, but its obvious why.

Not sure if the “calm down” was aimed at me, but I’m perfectly relaxed. I’m not sure if I’ve posted anything that suggested I wasn’t, but I don’t think I have.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve spent quite a lot of time on snow and in my opinion being warm and dry is the key to having fun. There is nothing worse than being cold and wet and having snow where there isnt meant to be snow – i.e. inside your jacket or down you trou becuase your jacket hasn’t kept it out. Ski/Board jackets are cut differently and are designed to keep snow out – a powder skirt makes a hell of a difference.

If you’re new to ski then you are going to be spending a certain amount of time in the snow, either sliding or sitting putting on skis or board.

I’ve boarded in a t-shirt before, in April, in Mayrhofen, but in dec or Jan in the Northern Hemisphere than I’d plan for it gettign to -20C maybe more with wind chill. In canada in Jan my beard froze to the collar of my jacket.

Seriously, good socks, good gloves will make a lot of difference but I would at the very least go to TK Maxx and buy a proper 15000/15000 min waterproof/breathable snowjacket with a powder skirt – I bought a TENSON a couple of years ago for about 40GBP, the Tenson I had before that from a skishop cost me 200+gbp and last 4 or 5 years.

Not worth ruining a holiday by ending up cold and damp or being fleeced in resort.

Where are you headed anyway?

EDIT: Re: Helmets – I haven’t worn one up until now but when I go next I’ll definitely be getting a proper boarding lid, seen a couple of mates have bad injuries and some that haven’t recovered from them. Even a cheapo one would be better than a MTB helemet as they offer more protection to the rear of the head usually.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Skiing in an Endura Stealth or similar bike jacket’ is closed to new replies.