Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Skiing in an Endura Stealth or similar bike jacket
  • scuttler

I’m off skiing for a long weekend in a few weeks and have everything bar a decent jacket. Now I know a bike jacket such as a Stealth isn’t insulated and is quite a snug fit so is more limited in what can be put under it. So insulation aside (I have loads of merino/thin fleece), assuming it’s not -10C, are they suitable as an outer layer? The Stealth is pretty water resistant in my experience.

Or is it a trip to TKMaxx?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heavy soft shell could work…some ski wear is just this.

legend
    Free Member

where are you going? ‘Cause it’s very likely than the temp will be lower than -10

nealglover
    Free Member

Would you want to ride regularly in a ski Jacket ?

If the answer is yes, then go for it, you’ll be fine 😉

DaveP

I have been skiing in a buffalo but in march.
    -10c in a few weeks is highly likely.
    The thought of bad weather and a bike jacket is scary.

sweaman2
    Free Member

How good are you at skiing? If you’re going to be learning and falling over than something waterproof is a good idea. Don’t underestimate how cold it is sitting on chairlifts…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Where and when exactly? Are you a beginner? Taking lessons?

Was -29 in Chamonix last winter in Feb, I had everything I own on. Wasn’t too bad when I was skiing but the long slow lifts were bitter!

Don’t forget when riding in your Stealth you will be moving most of the time. When you stop you will cool down very quickly.

scuttler

Would you want to ride regularly in a ski Jacket ?

Nah – cos you can’t pull the stuffing out of a ski jacket. But good points so far. Off to Cham at the end of Jan and I know it was flippin Baltic there last year. Which means it’ll probably +10 this year 🙁

Don’t plan on falling as I have buckets of experience. Just haven’t been for a while. My old jacket doesn’t seem to exist anymore and for a long weekend (3/4 days skiing) I’m planned on not buying anything new.

Plan B is some fleece and a retro Mountain Equipment Goretex shell.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

I did this a long time ago when I started. My advice if you we’re to do it nw would be to get a thin down gillet and wear that underneath. The small but essential loft may just be what you need

wallop

It was -30 degrees on the lifts when I went skiing last year.

Bear in mind that you don’t generate as much heat when you ski as when you ride a bike.

You’ll need more layers than you are suggesting.

hammerite
    Free Member

Who knows what the temps will be like. By all reports it was -22C in Mayrhofen today.

Not being a great skier I tend to use brute force and end up getting hot, the OH is different and always feels cold (she is a lot more graceful and uses less energy). One of the worst days for me last season wasn’t when it was cold temps wise, it was when it was windy and the lift kept stopping – wind chill was nasty and we barely moved for about 30 mins and froze.

Personally I wouldn’t ski in a bike jacket. A snow skirt is always useful so you don’t get snow up your back if you tumble. But also the number of pockets in ski jackets are useful – one for your lift pass on, big pockets for bulky gloves, inside one for piste map, camera, lip balm, pocket for goggles or sunglasses etc…. I’d struggle to carry all them in a bike jacket, keeping them in a rucksack isn’t always practical.

druidh
    Free Member

Windchill?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I ski in scotland in a buffalo

Would i ski here in a stealth . Would i hell . Even less so if i was going abroad . Being cold makes for a misrable holiday.

Was cold enough on the lifts in july.

wallop

Was cold enough on the lifts in july

😆

That’s very true! I remember arriving in Tignes in July at 10 in the morning and freezing my breasticles off (I was wearing 2 long sleeve jerseys!) – going up the lifts was super painful!

scuttler

OK – cack idea. TK Maxx or retro ME it is.

hammerite
    Free Member

That said I’ve had a great couple of days skiing in a t-shirt and my pass on a lanyard (April – 9C at 3,500m – 20C down at 1800). Coat was in my bag just in case.

The other reason to go to TK Maxx…. if you get a day in and decide to buy a coat in resort chances are you’ll be right royally fleeced!

hammerite
    Free Member

Surfanic seems reasonably priced if you can find a shop nearby.

nealglover
    Free Member

Get something from TKMaxx in a “normal” colour and at least you can wear it at home too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Retro me ftw

Its always the guys in retro kit that hand me my arse …

look like the stepped out an aldi catalogue – except they owned it since it was fashionable and skied in it every year since.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I sometimes wear a Long sleeve base, poly fleece and a soft shell. If the soft shell is not too tight it can be ok.

labsey
    Free Member

Depends what you wear underneath but I wouldn’t wear anything other than a proper ski jacket until at least the end of Feb.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did my first trip in bike gear, base, fleece and gore tex.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

best not to dick about in proper mountains:
    Cham 6 day forecast
    Tuesday afternoon: -28, -45 with windchill, good luck with a thin softshell!

Plan B or TK Maxx IMHO. I remember some guys on my season got stuck on a chair lift for about 4 hours before being winched off.

nealglover
    Free Member

best not to dick about in proper mountains:

This. !

Ski resorts can seem quite “safe” but people do get lost, stranded, injured, etc and proper gear can really be a life saver in those situations. Or at the very least, make life a lot more comfortable if something unforeseen happens.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Don’t see why not – I think it’s a rip off to buy a whole outfit for a weeks skiing, just to find the colour/fashion has changed the next year, and go thu it all again. It’s just warm and waterproof clothes FFS!

Mind you, one year I wore my best Henri-Lloyd yachtie jacket on a ski holiday, didn’t feel at all out of place on the pistes, until one day I fell on a 45 degree slope and took off down the mountain like I was on a sledge! Seems ‘real’ ski gear has a matt surface to slow you down in such circumstances whereas yachting oilies and presumably cycling waterproofs don’t!

Mugboo

I did my first trip in a sweaty Timberland coat. It made a crappy snowboarding coat but what a holiday 🙂

Like riding its hot when your working hard and cold when your on the lift (stood chatting/waiting), especially at that time of year. TK Maxx.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Funny you should choose a stealth as an example. It’s not even that warm as a cycling jacket!
    Sweaty on mtb maybe, but on road with windchill it’s not that great. So in snow with windchill? Hmmm. Not for me!

igm

Depends when and where you’re going. I was on the board in a base layer top and ski trousers last year. And shorts and t-shirt for mooching around the village. 20C in the afternoons.

andytherocketeer

Not sure what’s silliest. The thought of bike (outer) clothing as ski clothing, or the use of a bike helmet as a ski helmet (yes this has come up before, might have been on snowHeads, might have been elsewhere). Same base layers for both is fine.

My last 2 trips have had temperatures that have not even exceeded -10C.
    Last year was -29C ambient on arrival. Last week was -16 but also very windy and dumping all week. My Schoeffel padded ski jacket was starting to struggle tbh, and on the chair lifts without lids, there was much snuggling up going on to keep warm. And the vents on my ski helmet were frozen in the open position.

scaredypants

Plan B is lots of fleece and a retro Mountain Equipment Goretex shell ideal.

andytherocketeer

oh and one of the lifts got stuck for 10 minutes, with me on it, attempting to fit in a quick 10 minute warmup 10 minutes before a moguls skills clinic 👿 This was a 10minute cooldown, and a 30sec schuss to the meeting point.

higgo
    Free Member

Retro is good.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with fleece and shell.

tracknicko
    Free Member

oh and one of the lifts got stuck for 10 minutes, with me on it, attempting to fit in a quick 10 minute warmup 10 minutes before a moguls skills clinic This was a 10minute cooldown, and a 30sec schuss to the meeting point.

what’s the phrase? ‘first world problems’ 😉

jfletch
    Free Member

I fell on a 45 degree slope and took off down the mountain like I was on a sledge!

No you didn’t, 45 degrees is steeper than any piste anywhere in the world [citation needed] and is seriously steep off piste teritory.

I can also confirm that real Ski gear is also seriously slippery when sliding down a hill on your arse!

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t see why not – I think it’s a rip off to buy a whole outfit for a weeks skiing, just to find the colour/fashion has changed the next year, and go thu it all again.

nobody is suggesting he should do that ?

It’s just warm and waterproof clothes FFS!

Which the Stealth certainly isn’t !

[Quote]Mind you, one year I wore my best Henri-Lloyd yachtie jacket on a ski holiday, didn’t feel at all out of place on the pistes, until one day I fell on a 45 degree slope and took off down the mountain like I was on a sledge! Seems ‘real’ ski gear has a matt surface to slow you down in such circumstances whereas yachting oilies and presumably cycling waterproofs don’t![/quote]

I’ve got metal pins in my left shoulder due to being cleaned up by someone doing exactly that.

Also does that not completely contradict your earlier statement ?

onewheelgood

Your Plan B is usually my Plan A. ME Goretex shell, Endura Baa-Baa base, and whichever combination of 100, 200 and 300 weight fleeces is appropriate for the weather.

andytherocketeer

what’s the phrase?

at the time, the phrase was more “it’s frigging cold, get me off of here, ffs”
    couple of girls in race skin suits at the other end of the 6-man must have been frozen

sharkbait
    Free Member

Stealth = too waterproof, not breathable enough and too cold.
    Unless you’re planning on falling over A LOT I’d go with good base layers and fleece.

perthmtb
    Free Member

No you didn’t, 45 degrees is steeper than any piste anywhere in the world [citation needed] and is seriously steep off piste teritory.

jfletch – it was a black, but sorry I didn’t have my clinometer with me – its a funny little story, thats all…

and…

nealglover – Member

Don’t see why not – I think it’s a rip off to buy a whole outfit for a weeks skiing, just to find the colour/fashion has changed the next year, and go thu it all again.

nobody is suggesting he should do that ?

Which the Stealth certainly isn’t !

Mind you, one year I wore my best Henri-Lloyd yachtie jacket on a ski holiday, didn’t feel at all out of place on the pistes, until one day I fell on a 45 degree slope and took off down the mountain like I was on a sledge! Seems ‘real’ ski gear has a matt surface to slow you down in such circumstances whereas yachting oilies and presumably cycling waterproofs don’t!

I’ve got metal pins in my left shoulder due to being cleaned up by someone doing exactly that.

Also does that not completely contradict your earlier statement ?

nealglover – what posessed you to waste your time dissecting my post phrase by phrase I just don’t know, I’m really not worth it – honestly!

You guys need to lighten up a little – no really… its Chriiiiiistmaaaaaas! 😀

nedrapier

I have always worn shells and stuff underneath. If the bike jacket in question keeps the water out and the wind out, and has enough room underneath for a few layers of merino and fleecy gillet, why not?

I have a ME GoreTex hardshell, a Rab vapour-rise softshell type thing, and a Norrona Softshell. I’ve worn all of them skiing and all of them on the bike. They are all nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Skiing in an Endura Stealth or similar bike jacket’ is closed to new replies.