• This topic has 34 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by campbellronald7-spam.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Skiing Honeymoon Ideas
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking to go skiing for my honeymoon, but struggling to find the right place.

Ideally nice alpine village feel with intermediate skiing, nice restaurants and Apres ski but don’t need to be clubbing it every night.

Oh and must have the WOW factor!

All suggestions welcome resorts and specific places.

Cheers

Mike

wallop

Not been, but I’ve heard Zermatt is very romantic.

midlifecrashes

Venice. If you’re going on honeymoon to ski all day you’re doing it wrong. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

nendaz

nedrapier

how many pound signs?

loads, or not so many? zermatt/ klosters or andorra?

nedrapier

and congratulations! what time of year will you be going?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

We will be going January 18th and looking to spend around 5K plus spending money.

Have looked at Zermatt and Mageve but wanted to know if there are any hidden gems. As most of the places are fully booked all ready!

Cheers

Mike

nedrapier

Andermatt? Engleberg? Hospice Grand St Bernard? Lech am Arlberg?

All been Europe so far. Canada?

sweaman2
    Free Member

For me – it would depend if you’re more interested in skiing or the romantic locations… as if I had 5k to spend plus expenses I’d be straight over to Canada and finding myself some heli / cat skiing operations. Once in a lifetime and all that… 😀

In fact that’s exactly what mrs sweaman2 and I did when we went heli-skiing on our honeymoon and we now live in Canada. 8)

Can provide more thoughts etc if this takes your fancy..

Edit: You say intermediate so it does depend how intermediate but if you can ski blacks in Europe and rent some fat skis then powder should be ok.

RK – 27 Dec 2009 by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

RK – 27 Dec 2009 by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

Home run by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Sweaman,

looks good but we are more reds … was also thinking Canada would be freezing in Jan.

Looks like you had a good time though

hot_fiat

Wengen, stay at the sunstar in the village. Take the train all the way from Zurich airport and pay extra to have SBB transport your luggage to the hotel for you (you can even check into your flight at the station in wengen on the way home). Best bit is that you needn’t ski all day – train all the way up the jungfraujoch or over to murren and up to piz Gloria, or into interlaken and take a cruise on the lake steamers. Consider a night or two at the bellevue at kleine scheidegg so you can wake up to the view of the Eiger’s north face. All in many CHFs though so start saving now for anything in Switzerland.

Austria: mayrhofen is gorgeous. Stay at the Kramerwirt and ask for a room in the north of the main building(away from the smegging church) Take a wednesday off and ask mrs kroell (the owner) if she can guide you up to their hunting lodge on snow shoes. Spend a night in the ice hotel at the top of the Ahorn.

kristallhuette on the piste above Aschau. Awesome funky hotel / lodge only reachable by snowmobile or skis. So funky they even sell their own chillout mix cds. cheap too. It’s on our list.

Chamonix. Stay at hotel gustavia. Excelent hotel run by Swedish goddesses (we actually thought we’d died on landing and this was the afterlife.) bizarrely also attached to one of the best après ski bars in Cham : chambre Neuf. Restaurants galore but sadly, being France they make you pay for it (€6 for a coke!). A trip to the top of aiguille midi is unforgettable. If yer brave hire a guide and ski down the Valle Blanche.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Canada can be cold but the interior (Fernie, Revy etc) is not as cold as the Rockies. -10 would be normal I would reckon. If you’re tempted send me a pm and I can provide some more thoughts…

Otherwise Wengen was where I proposed so also a top destination. Top of the Schilthorn and then a mega descent.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Hot-fiat will check out some of those places

Thanks Sweaman, but think it would be just to cold we quite enjoy the odd boozey lunch on the piste etc.

Keep them coming…

singletrackmind

Verbier ?
    Snowsure , no jet lag , easy transfer , great skiing , expensive as you want it to be, huge ski area , lots of choice for lessons / guiding.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’d probably recommend Florida, it’s pretty much centre of the world for skiing. Drew Ross Ski Academy at Winter Gardens is considered very good, I think they have 3 lakes. 8)

DezB
    Free Member

Mammoth Lakes. Best place I’ve ever been full stop.

And not just for the skiing (well boarding in my case). Best food, best shops, best hotel. And best ski facilities.

Tried to move there but they wouldn’t have me

rs
    Free Member

wants to go skiing in January but not too cold, walks away shaking head 😕

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Right have just bit the bullet on this place…Hotel Matterhorn Focus… although free cancellation should anyone have any better ideas

mefty
    Free Member

You won’t be disappointed with Zermatt, fabulous place lots of great mountain restaurants, Chez Vrony in Findeln is a favourite as is the Stockhorn in town, or pop over to Cervina for excellent Italian mountain restaurants and a long red run with a decent coffee at the bottom. Really spectacular town and should be pretty quiet at that time of year or it was when I went then a few years ago.

eskay

Have a look at Levi in Finish Lapland. Always has a certain romance, lots to do other than skiing as well.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Winter Park, Colorado awesome place, hidden gem.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another Zermatt vote. It is a bit different to the normal ski resort. Pleasant car free town and generally a bit quirky. Take the train up to the observatory for a romantic dinner one night.

steve-g
    Free Member

I went to La Clusaz following a recommendation from here, have a look at that, I think it ticks those boxes.

MrNutt
    Free Member

don’t forget the life insurance, medial cover, etc

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Without a shade of a doubt … ZERMATT…. if the town is your number one priority

Exclusive without being excessively so with an authentic Swiss chocolate box feel without being tacky.

Lots to do if you want a day off the hill
    My fav ski town (been boarding for getting on 20 years now)… would be my fav ski resort if it was easier to get on the hill (it’s at the bottom of a steep sided valley… you have to get up onto the surrounding plateaus to ski… I’m a lazy get and like to board in/board out)

But then on the other hand, it’s worth dragging your bum up there because you get to ski in the shade of this….

In fact when I went there me and the Mrs met a young couple from the US who where honeymooning there.

organic355
    Free Member

+ 1 million Zermatt.

We went for our honeymoon in March 2010.

If your budget can stretch its gotta be the OMNIA if you want wow factor!!

we had 2 weeks there at my parents expense, without a doubt THE best hotel I have EVER stayed in!!!!

http://www.the-omnia.com/en/hotel/

hot_fiat

Zermatt looks great & you’ll have an amazing time. The train journey through Switzerland is spectacular: either along the shore of the lake from Geneva or bang through the middle of the alps from Zürich. Alternatively the mad, beautiful way to go is Zürich>Chur>Zermatt via the glacier express, assuming the Fürka’s open. You’ll need a travel agent to work this out as the SBB site is crap at linking normal and panoramic trains.

Have a fantastic time whatever you do & remember to tell absolutely everyone you’re on honeymoon (shy bairns get nowt & all)!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Fantastic, you’ll not be disappointed with Zermatt but you will need your spending money!

We honeymooned in Whistler then went to Zermatt for a wedding anniversary and it was stunning. The car free town and trains add to the romantic feel, lots of long reds to cruise down, especially the long red to Italy and the off piste got very little traffic (loads of untouched even 10 days after snow!) Train ride up from Geneva airport was great.

There’s a long blue back to town with stunning views that passes through a ski-through champagne bar. End early afternoon, sit on the fur lined seat with a drink and watch the sun set over the Matterhorn.

It’s also a great town – loads of restaurants and things to do and see. You can window shop and play ‘spot the most expensive watch’, it’s daft!

natrix
    Free Member

“Have a look at Levi in Finish Lapland”

I second that idea. A lot of hotel rooms in Levi come with their own sauna which is a great way of relieving those aching muscles. Lots of cross-country skiing, as well as ski mobile trips, ice diving, sleigh rides etc. etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a long blue back to town with stunning views that passes through a ski-through champagne bar. End early afternoon, sit on the fur lined seat with a drink and watch the sun set over the Matterhorn

On the way to the Champagne bar. Didn’t see the sun set:

grum
    Free Member

Zermatt definitely fits the bill IMO. Can you afford the Zermatterhof? 🙂

Staying up high in one of the mountain huts would be very romantic too.

eskay

I second that idea. A lot of hotel rooms in Levi come with their own sauna which is a great way of relieving those aching muscles. Lots of cross-country skiing, as well as ski mobile trips, ice diving, sleigh rides etc. etc.

Taking out your own husky led sled is also a must if you go there. We did it throught the forests – amazing. Snow mobiling across the frozen fells is also amazing.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Another Zermatt aficionado here.

Check out the wee hamlet of Findeln for lunch – two fantastic restaurants there serving up the best food / view combo in the alps

plumber
    Free Member

Whitefish Montana

It used to be called stumptown but dont let that put you off 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

The cognescenti go to Zermatt via Zurich as the train from Zurich has a dining car so you can get a reasonable meal to while away the time.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Skiing Honeymoon Ideas’ is closed to new replies.