Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Skiing Goggles
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Only been skiing a few years and always struggle in flat light,

Got some oakley fire iridium glasses wich are ok "ish" and some smiths amber lens goggles that are better but not great

Last season a lot of people were raving about the pink and blue lens for flat light

Just looking to get some new goggles but dont want to spent silly money.

Would like to buy in the resort but the euro is rubbish and they will be cheaper to get in the UK (i think)

Cheers

Andy

tragically1969
    Free Member

Email me, i have a pair of Black Oakley O-Frames with Persimmon lenses you can have for good money.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Oakley lenses are the best I've used. The low light yellow and blue ones (can;t remember the name) are very good in low light. I use gold irridium and find them very clear in all light levels.

Have a look on ebay, some great deals to be found just make sure you get proper ones!

Worth spending money on goggles IMO, you'll regret it if you dont.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbfix

I have some Smith goggles with a soft rose lens with a mirror finish. The mirror reflects glare really well and the rose tint enhances flat light well. Best mountain eyewear ever IME. Oakley iridium are just too dark for anything but bright sun and I find non mirrored lenses tiring on the eyes in bright light.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Oakley iridium are just too dark for anything but bright sun

I love my Black Iridiums for skiing in, i usually end up squinting with anything less, i just carry a Persimmon in case it fully clags in but find i get better contrast with the Iridiums right up to all but fully flat light, i suppose its horses for courses though.

GrahamS

Waste of money. I simply fashion my own from tree bark:

Fashionable and effective.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-to-make-snow-goggles/

donald
    Free Member

Everyone struggles in flat light. There really isn't a good solution to this problem.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Everyone struggles in flat light. There really isn't a good solution to this problem.

A couple of tesco torches strapped to your head 🙂

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Only been skiing a few years and always struggle in flat light<

Try some mid winter skiing in Scotland – that will sharpen up your senses and bring a much needed boost to the beleagured ski resorts

steveh

Electric make some really nice goggles at good prices. Imported by an mtb company too.

http://www.mtbdirect.co.uk or fli distribution

stevomcd
    Free Member

As above, Oakley persimmon lenses are pretty decent, certainly the best all-rounders out there.

Other than that, ride in the trees when the light is flat!

turboferret

Being able to see has to be a pretty high priority, some folk scoff at expensive goggles and a selection of lenses, but that's much more important than most other things IMHO.

I have fire iridium for most of the time, and some persimmon to stick in when it gets dim/flat.

I also carry a spare pair of goggles in my bag should I accidentally lose my mains, or if the weather is too horrid to change lenses.

Cheers, Rich

donald
    Free Member

Try some mid winter skiing in Scotland – that will sharpen up your senses and bring a much needed boost to the beleagured ski resorts

I remember standing still on the piste talking to a friend and being alarmed to see a snow fence appear out of the mist below and slowly move past us up the hill.

Makes you feel nauseous when it's that bad.

peachos
    Free Member

i got some von zipper bushwicks last year that work well too – they were fifty quid and came with 2 lenses: orange (low light) & mirror. awesome goggles for the price and the HUGE lens gives great peripheral vision. look alright too which, being a snowboarder, is the most important thing.

as has been mentioned, pretty much the only way to cope properly with flat light is to head for the tree (or the pub).

Andy-W
    Free Member

tragically1969

how do i find your email ???

andy111s at hotmail.com

Andy-W
    Free Member

I hate flat light,only been skiing since 2005 and when the slope drops away a bit and you cant see it comming it proper make me plop my pants

Bunnyhop

Lol @ donald.
    I remember standing at the top of a run at the Lecht resort and just not moving. Didn't matter how steep the gradient was, no-one moved. Had to hold onto my wig.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Andy W

Mailed you

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Skiing Goggles’ is closed to new replies.