• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Skiing, first time, advice on kit
  • Mounty_73

Going skiing for the first time next week.

Any advice or tips on what kit to take….I have all the obvious kit….just wondering if I have missed anything out…. 🙂

purpleyeti
    Free Member

that all depends really on what you call the obvious kit.

Mounty_73

Jacket
    Salopettes
    Googles
    Gloves
    Hat
    Buff
    Fleece & base layers etc
    Sun lotion, lipsil
    Lots of Mars bars & Snickers 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tiggs121
    Free Member

Spare gloves, hat, buff, sunglasses.

Depending on where you’re going – LOTS of money!

Alphabet

Beer money and your list is complete 😀

slowoldman

Socks?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Underwear and ibuprofen?

purpleyeti
    Free Member

helmet?
    ski/snowboard socks, they do make a difference
    aftersun moisturiser for wind/chill burn.
    spare gloves or thicker thinner gloves depending on weather
    sunglasses for lunch/ apres ski.
    pain killer for post big slam or hangover.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Really nice sock would be good. PhD do some lovely padded smartwool ski socks

BigJohn

When I started snowboarding I hired my (and my kids’) boards & boots from Boardwise and took them out. It was good stuff, but I knew no better until one time we had them nickedand for the last day hired some in resort.

Bloody hell the difference was amazing – the in resort stuff was almost unusable. Had we started with it we wouldn’t have known, and our progress and enjoyment would have been a lot less.

slowoldman

+1 for sunglasses. Not just for lunch. I’ve always worn them rather than googles unless conditions are really horrible. I.e. snowing

BigJohn

Lunch should consist of 1 beer, 2 ibuprofen, 2 paracetamol and some food.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On a serious note make sure that your socks ARE NOT RIBBED. Regular first timers mistake with nasty consequences.

merynella
    Free Member

Condoms. Ribbed or un-ribbed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smartwool make phd socks, by the way. Very good they are, too!

pk13

Ear plugs for the 5 o’clock stomping army if your a light sleeper and staying in apartments. Helmet….. Good first aid kit for blisters etc . Looking at the weather in the mountains it’s going to be cold . Oh and snap a photo of your lift pass helps if it gets lost. Enjoy

jfletch
    Free Member

Hip flask
    Slippers

khani
    Free Member

Medical insurance..

Mounty_73

Hip flask…..how did I manage to forget that one!! 🙂

footflaps

Clothing wise, the only ski specific stuff I own is GTX ski trousers and ski helmet. Everything else doubles up as general outdoor kit eg GTX jacket, fleece, Down jacket. I generally ski in a thermal and down jacket and save the GTX shell for wet snowy days. I take 6 sets of boot socks as they tend to get damp and smelly, a couple of sets of merino thermals (different thicknesses) which get rotated. I always carry spare gloves just in case I lose one. I ski in sunglasses and carry goggles just in case the weather really craps out. A buff / snood is a good idea to keep the wind out of the neck of your jacket / thermal. If you’re at altitude eg over 2000m it’s quite easy to debydrate, so I tend to ski with a Camelbak and just poke the tube back into the bag to stop it freezing.

shifter
    Free Member

Print a copy of your insurance summary and put it in one of your jacket pockets.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Take some muscle soak, you’re going to ache of an evening. A long hot bath with a beer or wine will be required.

You’re gonna love it.

Small rucksack for an extra layer and all of the day to day stuff mentioned above.

A large bottle of spiced rum to fill your hip flask with. Great in your hot chocolate at 11am. It’s known as liquid talent in our skiing group. 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

only been once the other year loved it
    get good ski socks, smartwool were great and i just wore them every day and ignored the others.
    gloves – my ski gloves were way to hot, luckily i took my mtb gloves and used them most of the time.
    i think helmets a good idea, i didnt have one and had a few moments when i was out of my depth, not many people were wearing them in france though.
    layers, as it can be very hot and very cold when your standing around or going up.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Skiing, first time, advice on kit’ is closed to new replies.