Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Skiing after 10 year break?
  • toomba
    Free Member

Chance to go last minute 5 day ski trip. Not been on skis for 10 years will it come back to me? Like riding a bike
    Could have a few hours with an instructor but thinking will I struggle keeping up with the others and its only 5 days on the slopes??

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s like riding a bike. I had an 11 year break, was fine after the first hour.

Cycling and running fitness helped!

scaredypants

I reckon you’ll be fine

especially if

you were decent before
    you’ve skied relatively “modern” skis before, not your old 210cm sticks
    you relax initially and work it all out again

cchris2lou

I had 20 years break.

Never used modern skis.

Was fine after an hour.

nickjb
    Free Member

Pretty daunting getting on that first lift but it’ll come back very quickly.

lunge

Echo all of the above, you’ll be fine. If you’re worried then do an hour in a snowdone or a dry slope before you go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course, you’ll need new clothes…

aracer
    Free Member

If it helps at all, I went out on a snowboard for the first time in ~15 years a few weeks ago when we had the big snow here. It all came back fairly quickly and after an hour or so I was happily carving through the powder and doing jumps. Mind you I was quite decent before and in the gap between I’ve done plenty of XC skiing (though the balance and skills required for that are very different). As suggested above it depends how good you were before, if you were shredding the blacks then it will take you about 5 minutes to get back to being decent.

He only said 10 years ago! It’s longer than that since I’ve been on alpine planks and I don’t think you could even get old skool skis like that back then. I don’t think ski tech has changed that much in 10 years.

giant_scum
    Free Member

30 year break for me, started again last year!

My advice take it easy the first day, shorter easier grade runs to get the feel of it again!
    You will most likely be sore the day after.

Have been skiing three times this year in the Scottish hills,yesterday was a cracker!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

take the first run steady- then you will buzzing to go 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The only difference is 10yrs on is that your not as fit andot hurts more when you fall. Slopes are generally a lot more crowded too.

Oh and if you don’t wear a helmet you will die (unlike 10 years ago)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes it will come back including all the old bad habits 🙂

Conditions right now are spectacular, just go

Are you in good shape fitness wise ? Thats the most important thing, don’t break yourself. Take it easy to begin with, enjoy a few beverage stops and a good lunch 🙂

slowoldman

I’ve been thinking of venturing out onto the snow after many years but I probably need to buy all new kit:

curto80
    Free Member

Everyone wears a helmet these days

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s quite fun to mix the old and nes styles even if modern skis are not suited to the former.

I grew up skiing 200cm hard slalom skis all over the mountain so just fun to have easy skis theses days. Still have to force myself to ski modern carvers properly and it’s great when you accelerate hard thorough corners. But st sane time I often go back to old style as far better to watch!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only just been converted to helmets by the helmet gestspo. Still hung out longer than on a bike 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

But st sane time I often go back to old style as far better to watch!!!

Sorry what’s the difference in technique I must have missed that one

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Distance between ankles and knees
    Weighting
    Which ski forward etc

I call it ugly armchair sitting versus beautiful Austrian grace

Off piste I still ski as I always have done

toomba
    Free Member

I keep fairly fit and lead an active life to be honest will be in better shape than most of others I’m going with although they are seasoned skiers, borrowed a helmet and have most of the kit just need ski and boot hire, bit shocked at price of lift pass though!

yiman
    Free Member

The first few turns might be dodgy but I’m sure after a couple of hours it will all come back. Go for it and enjoy!

There’s nothing to stop you having an easy start and catching up with the others when you feel more confident but generally most skiing groups are mixed ability and there’s plenty of opportunity for waiting/catching up anyway.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, I learnt to ski when I was 13-14, then didn’t touch them again until I was 30 and it all came back like it was yesterday:-)

scaredypants

He only said 10 years ago! It’s longer than that since I’ve been on alpine planks and I don’t think you could even get old skool skis like that back then

I did say “if it was on YOUR old 210cm” – I was still on mine until not much more than 10yr ago

footflaps

Everyone wears a helmet these days

Except ESF instructors, who would be ostracised by their union if they so much as thought about using one.

cchris2lou

Dont like the helmet, at least the rental ones.

Re technique, I like the old style, legs close together.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

THM pictured recently…

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve always found it quite tricky to adjust the distance between my ankles and my knees – what technique do you use?

slowoldman

Re technique, I like the old style, legs close together.

Yes it’s nice to see slalom racing has reverted to a more stylish stance. I can bear to watch it again.

I’ve always found it quite tricky to adjust the distance between my ankles and my knees – what technique do you use?

A rack. But it’s a one way adjustment.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

Must admit I always had flashy down as a one piece man!! Never had one myself, more a racing pant style. Miss good old racing pants

Tick with bandana though !!

Was back seeing my old mum yesterday and rummaging around in old boxes. Found my photo from the Mark Warner brochure in 80s. Good jump but not as good as photo ^

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Skiing after 10 year break?’ is closed to new replies.