Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Skiers thumb from riding a rigid bike? Any users of Ergon grips?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I appear to have given myself a fairly chronic case of skiers thumb from one two many roots, rocks and braking bumps on rigid bike. It’s fine off the bike, but as soon as I get back on it and do a lot of rooty/bumpy riding it flares up. Need to see the Dr about it but suspect the answer will be like my knees “does it stop you doing anything other than riding a bike quickly over braking bumps, no, then we’re not bothered”.

Would Ergon style grips offer enough of a platform to push my palm against that I’d no longer be putting pressure on my thumb over each bump?

There’s always the nuclear option, stop being a cheapskate and buy some suspension forks!

reggiegasket
    Free Member
    nedrapier

Can’t help with the thumbs, but I’m interested: What do you think is a bigger driver behind the rigid forks, being a cheapskate or being a contrarian?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tazzymtb

Use ergons on the sheep and rooster with flat bars to keep a nice fast feel on thise bike and jone loops with a massive back sweep on others. Ergons make a massive difference, especially on long rides or over really rooty and rocky stuff. I wouldn’t say rigid is the cheapnoption either as decent rigid forks can be more than boing, just a matter of what works for you and go with that

christhetall
    Free Member

Fraid not, don’t think they’ll have any effect either way.

I use Ergon grips on both MTBs, mainly cos I was starting to develop nodules on my palms (Deputreyans Contracture). But I’ve also got some residual thumb issues (injured both from skiing and mountain biking) and I’ve noticed that’s been hurting a bit recently.

What I did find useful was a compression support – a mitt with a velcro strap – that also gave some extra padding around the tender bit.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought skiers thumb was one of those things that you don’t mention as it implies the beginners mistake of using the grip straps incorrectly?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t help with the thumbs, but I’m interested: What do you think is a bigger driver behind the rigid forks, being a cheapskate or being a contrarian?

Mix of the two, I tried it back when it was the only option for 29ers and just stuck with it when suspension arrived with a £500 price tag because with the exception of a few short but very sharp sections at Swinley I don’t think there’s a huge amount to be gained for 90% of my riding.

I thought of swept back bars, but nothing available in 760mm+ widths AFAIK. Might give the Spesh versions a whirl, they look a bit more normal and only cost a tenner.

I thought skiers thumb was one of those things that you don’t mention as it implies the beginners mistake of using the grip straps incorrectly?

Catch all term apparently for any injury to that tendon from an RSI to completely snapping it. Never been skiing! Used to be called gamekeepers thumb, I presume because the thumb takes some of the shock of a shotgun recoiling.

funkrodent

Don’t know if this helps, but I ride for a lot of the time with my thumbs on top of the bars, so really only gripping with the fingers. Only get the thumb wrapped under when the terrain demands it. Made a massive difference to me in terms of sore thumbs.

Appreciate that it’s the bumpy bits that are doing the damage, but if you rode the other 90% without effectively using your thumbs (easier than it sounds), that may well make a difference..

tazzymtb

Stooge moto bar is what you want then..massive width great sweep and very good price. Chat to charlie the bike seller or andy at stooge (jonestown on here) and they’ll sort you out

christhetall
    Free Member

Called gamekeepers thumb cos you got it from strangling grouse !

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Use Ergon on both my rigid MTBs, really rate them. Their quality was highlighted for me a few weeks ago after I did a 60km ride on a Stache 5 I’d bought second hand. It still had the original Bonty grips and my hands were so sore after about 40km, and then hurt for about a day later. Put on some Ergons for my next ride and have had no hand or thumb pain since. Love their wee racey bar end type.

landslide

I use Evans’ own brand Ergon style grips on 800mm bars with ~120mm of suspension. I like them a lot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tinas- I have a pair in the spares, you can have them for postage cost.

unovolo
    Free Member

What do you think is a bigger driver behind the rigid forks, being a cheapskate or being a contrarian?

For me its lightweight and simplicity, not aware of many bouncy forks that come in at about 600gm.
    Budget is a factor as I don’t earn much so don’t have much disposable cash for initial purchase and servicing.
    And for most of my riding rigid is fine, that said I was climbing on a very rocky sheep path yesterday and would have appreciated a full bouncer for traction.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use On One fleegles with Ergon grips on my rigid 29er. The bike was frankly not that comfortable with flat bars; I fitted the On One’s and then randomly stuck some very old Ergons on there that were sat on the bench having been on my commuter. I’d dismissed them as a waste of money on previous MTBs but on the rigid 29er they are absolutely perfect. In a way I can’t possibly explain but it hugely improves the bike. Not sure if it’s the grips, but I suspect it’s the combo. More sweep + Ergon style = happiness.

Agree re Swinley – as long as you use the sharp handling to avoid the braking bumps you can fly round.

singletrackmind

I have snapped my UCL twice on my right hand thumb. Once from a skiing injury when I used my face to break a snowboaders collar bone, and once from riding into a massive tree at speed and hyper extending the same thumb.
    I get a dull, constant niggle in it after alot of miles on the mtb. I too rest my thumb on the top of the grips till the going gets tough , then revert back to traditional over / under grip.
    Not a rigid rider and probably never could be because of the thumb.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t know if this helps, but I ride for a lot of the time with my thumbs on top of the bars, so really only gripping with the fingers. Only get the thumb wrapped under when the terrain demands it. Made a massive difference to me in terms of sore thumbs.

Yea, Mike at Switchbacks showed me that trick, works for getting up steep climbs too as it stops you pulling up on the bars.

Stooge moto bar is what you want then..massive width great sweep and very good price. Chat to charlie the bike seller or andy at stooge (jonestown on here) and they’ll sort you out

If they did a flat(er) version I’d be all over it.

Agree re Swinley – as long as you use the sharp handling to avoid the braking bumps you can fly round.

I’ve just taken to avoiding R15 to the Labyrinth and skip straight to R25 and do laps of that to get my fix of airtime!

Tinas- I have a pair in the spares, you can have them for postage cost.

YGM

trail_rat
    Free Member

stick a wider front tyre on ……

I run a purgatory up front for bigger days – regular tyres are 2.1 Racing ralphs -= with a purg the comfort is noticable.

FWIW i run carnegies and ergons

Kahurangi

When I played with ergon style grips, I found that the larger pad for the heel of your palm prevented my from effectively wrapping my ring and pinky fingers around the bar, meaning there was more reliance on my middle finger and thumb for retaining the bar. I’d guess that the ergon style grips might actually be counter productive. However I might still have a set in my spares box I could post you to try out. Seen you’ve already got a pair on the way 😀

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’d agree with Jon Taylor. I had a set that came on a commuter bike, and I found that when braking it put a huge amount of pressure in between my first finger and thumb. The rest of my hand just sat flat on the palm rest and was generally a bit useless. Possibly a set up and preference issue though. I put on ESIs and was much much happier.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run a purgatory up front for bigger days – regular tyres are 2.1 Racing ralphs -= with a purg the comfort is noticable.

I run a 4″ floater, could try a Bud I suppose…………..

It’s not the small chattering that get’s it, it’s just the ‘thud’ of dropping down root steps at speed.

When I played with ergon style grips, I found that the larger pad for the heel of your palm prevented my from effectively wrapping my ring and pinky fingers around the bar, meaning there was more reliance on my middle finger and thumb for retaining the bar. crashed on the easiest section of the week and sprained thumb I’d guess that the ergon style grips might actually be counter productive.

😉

Thanks anyway for the offer, must have a catchup at some point.
    How’s India? looks awesome!

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my rigid 29er. They’re OK – the extra area is nice for comfort when cruising about but when it gets rough I find it hard to keep a secure grip of the bars because of the shape. When they wear out I’ll try something else.

I’ve got quite a flexy set of wide carbon bars and twangy fork which I think adds more to the comfort than the grips.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d guess that the ergon style grips might actually be counter productive.

That’s what I found on my normal barred MTBs which is why I took them off. Not an issue on the Fleegles for some reason. Also the angle of the flat bit makes a big difference.

jonathan
    Free Member

I thought skiers thumb was a traumatic thing, rather than a repetitive thing – ie this:

I have snapped my UCL twice on my right hand thumb

I guess the doc will diagnose something. I rode rigid over rough stuff a lot in the past, my strategies for managing the bumps and hands
    1. fat (and tubeless) tyres (well… fat for then 2.5)
    2. the right fork – I’ve experienced massive differences between what look like very similar forks
    3. thin grips (allow the hand to grip more naturally
    4. ulnar nerve padded gloves (although this is more for chatter than impact)
    5. working on arm and upper body strength – gives you better movement control and shock absorption
    6. also think about whether a change of position might help in changing hand-bar angle of attack (independent of considering a **** shaped bar)

I don’t ride rigid much these days. Suspension is really good these days you know 😉

belugabob
    Free Member

Not sure if your bike is singlespeed or geared, but I found that moving my brakes to inboard of my shifters make a massive difference to achy hands, as it allowed me to single finger brake, changing the way that pressure is put on the fingers.
    If you are singlespeeding, then you can still move the brakes further inboard, to achieve the same effect.

YMMV

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Skiers thumb from riding a rigid bike? Any users of Ergon grips?’ is closed to new replies.