Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Skiddaw/Ullock Pike 'short' route??
  • portydave
    Free Member

Morning all,

Ive got a couple hours free between family comittments and was hoping for a quick blast up Skiddaw/Ullock Pike this Sunday.

We will have 2 cars so planning starting at the car park just behind Latrigg and going up the bridleway, then down to pick up our second car by the Ravenstone Hotel.

Is this a good plan…..or do folk have any other suggestions??

cheers!

jekkyl

can’t think of any better plan, you’ll have to get a shimmy on up that hill if you’ve only got 2 hours. But just about possible. Despite what people might say there’ll be pretty no riding once you reach the bottom of path, it’s pretty steep.

excitable1
    Free Member

We started from Threlkeld a couple of weeks ago and added an up and down to Skiddaw House and a cheeky down Doups.

According to Garmin, from the start of the car park & BW at Whit Beck to the Hotel at Ravenstone it took us 1hr 53mins, but we don’t hang about. We had a good pace on for the hikeabike, stopped at the summit just to put jackets on and then rode from the the trig point and did all the Pike in one hit (apart from one section that’s washed away where we couldn’t find a line this time).

I reckon there’s a quicker, easier and more rideable route up Skiddaw from Skiddaw House via Sale How but what you’re planning is still the quickest IMO.

Enjoy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or park at millbeck, straight up doups to carlside, then onto Ullock. No need for 2 cars then.

scuttler

1:20 up (from Latrigg rather than Keswick), 0:40 down may just work. Depends on how tight your schedule is and how fit you are. The up Doups down Ullock alternative means you miss the epic scree run off the top which is ace, and whilst it’s true the zig zags from Latrigg are unrideable for normal people there’s a fair bit of riding to the top of Skiddaw from the top of the zig zags.

Of course the weather forecast should also be a big influence on your plans.

excitable1
    Free Member

That’s a steep hikeabike from Millbank up Doups and I reckon it’ll you take just as long to get up that as it will going up to the summit via the BW, like Scutler says, half of the BW is rideable. If two cars are the issue it won’t take you long to ride round from Ravenstone to Millbeck on the tarmac.

martinhutch

Taking into account the double car faffing, you’ll have to get a serious move on to fit all that into a couple of hours.

portydave
    Free Member

Cheers folks. The couple of hours is flexible i.e. It’s what the missus has suggested is appropriate!

jekkyl

wahhayy 4 hours then ‘sorry darling John had a puncture and I had a broken chain and there was no signal to ring you, sorry, now what’s for tea?’

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Skiddaw/Ullock Pike 'short' route??’ is closed to new replies.