Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Skid Car or Skid Pan?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I want to do some advanced driving training stuff.

My brother did a skid car course and thought it was really good, but I seem to remember it being much more expensive than a skid pan course?

I don’t know much about either, but my thinking is that the skid car will offer a more realistic experience?

Anyone got any experience of either (or preferably both)?

Alternatively, I could just put my car into dyno mode and rag it around ASDA car park I suppose.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Done both but never had to pay. Skid pan can be more predictive as once you done a few you know what the car is going to do so your ready and you can’t create the many scenarios on them.
    Skid car the early ones were unrealistic but the last one I did was great and the instructor, very experienced, made it even better. We went through the basic which for me was more of a revision of old skills. He was then able to simulate everything just about anything including snow driving, blowouts and much more with a very realistic feel to it all.
    These were all done through the Army at Leconsfield.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I had a go on a skid pan and it is great fun. I suspect a skid car is better for training as the instructor can dictate where you lose grip, how much, etc. The skid pan being so slippy means none of your driving on it is normal, even picking up speed has to be gentle.

twojumpers

I have done the skid pan at Goodwood and it was great, I went with a group of driving instructers (most of whom were terrible) and we all learnt a lot. Once we had been round a few times you get used to how to handle the sliding about. Can’t comment about the skid cars but give one a go and I’m sure it will be fun.

TooTall
    Free Member

The car will teach you far more. It can take you from normal to lack of traction when you don’t expect it – which is what you want isn’t it? It can also simulate a far greater range of circumstances, from losing a single wheel, front end, rear end and at most any speed.

falkirk-mark

My work sent me to one at(3 years ago) Knockhill which would probably nearest you they have their own rear wheel drive cars

http://corporate-entertainment.knockhill.com/corporate-driver-training.php

speed12
    Free Member

I dd all my training on a skid car and woul thoroughly recommend it. It can replicate sudden changes in grip and surface very quickly and frighteningly realistically. Being able to repeatable practice controlling a car hitting an ice patch on a corner etc is very useful. They can also simulate the reactions to a loss of grip of both a FWD and RWD car (ours was an Astra at Millbrook but were training for controlling big RWD cars so spent most of it in RWD mode – very strange feeling but realistic handling!)

kilo

Skid pans / cars have have been a very very very small part of the advanced driver training I’ve done over the years – possibly only a couple of hours max out of a total of several weeks. But they are fun.

peterfile
    Free Member

Skid pans / cars have have been a very very very small part of the advanced driver training I’ve done over the years – possibly only a couple of hours max out of a total of several weeks.

Awesome 🙂

swamp_boy

I’ve used both, skid pans are fun. but skid cars are a better learning tool, like the previous posters have said its easier to simulate different scenarios

crikey
    Free Member

Um, supermarket car park in the snow anyone?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Just do what we did as kids. Wait for the snow, then get yourself down to the largest unused car park in your area for your very own DIY advanced driving course.

Edit: lol crikey, great minds…(or fools never differ).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Skid Car or Skid Pan?’ is closed to new replies.