Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ski Lesson reccommendations in French Alps
  • mugsys_m8

It seems that I can only book 1:1 lessons, rather than a course, with BASS Chamonix as I am on my tod. I was hoping to join a group course to save money. I've known friends use them and rate them, but they're just not trying hard to accomodate me.

Bass charge £70 per hour for 1:1. I usually pay 35 euro per hour with the ESF. Is the difference worth it? esp as I live in France. Can anyone reccomend anyone in the French Alps? Need not be in english, happy with French.

I'm looking for something like 2 days ski ing with lessons each morning. No need for accomoadtion, food, travel etc etc. Goal is for better ski touring,pistes are a means to an end. I typically get down any red, but lack speed/ confidence. Instructor with a ski mountaineering/ off piste bias preferred.

I'm tearing my hair out, I have some leave to use, I have a bit of money and yet I can't find anything suitable. Views? Ideas?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I can't comment directly having never seen the BASS Chamonix instructors, but their website looks like they are any other ski school with a bit of blerb.

IMO your jumping ahead of yourself. To do some ski touring you first need to be able to ski (of a fashion, especially if you really want to enjoy it) I know you are not that bothered about piste skiing, but to ski off piste you need to learn the basics on piste first ie I would want to be able to get down a black run in mush/deep powder/solid ice before venturing off piste.

I'd just go to the ESF and join a group at a slightly higher level than your current ability.

mugsys_m8

I know all about the jumping ahead mentality. Being an alpinist, I am confident with being (being not skiing) in mountainous off piste terrain but you're right I need to improve on piste to enjoy it more. Skinning up a 4000m peak is easy,getting down however takes me nearly as long! Cheers.

dab

mugsy

i've done quite a bit of private telemark coaching when away on holiday
    used ESF in Val D'Isere
    Evolution 2 in Tignes
    Oxygene in La Plagne (3 times)

of them all Oxygene were by far the best …
    Evo2 and ESF were ok

don't be put off using a local skier vs a UK outfit, many offer a freeride class ( pm lessons and some avi technique thrown in )
    these could be a good option

lesson prive is money well spent if you are receptive and find a good coach, i normally do 3 or 4 1hr lessons 9-10am

i still speak with my coaches every time in in resort and on the mountain, they are seriously good guys and utterly passionate about their sport

you'll also find they enjoy 1:1 lessons ,
    more like fun if they get a good skier and if you get on well you get benifits like getting invited to have a " practice run " @ the world tememark champs and watch the races on the piste with the FIS officials ….

just go round the schools when you get there, the good ones will have english speaking staff who will find out what you want, what you expect of them and match those needs

when on piste …. know what you want out of the lesson and listen and work with them it's a great relationship if it works and your skiing will come on more than money can buy ……

mugsys_m8

completely agree Dab,I'll have a look at the companies you name.

I need to book something as I'll be travelling to resort every day.
    I live near Lyon. TBH I'd rather use a one man band/ small company.
    I could hire a mountain guide for BASS 1:1 rates!

thehustler
    Free Member

ESF generally has v good instuctors, not sure if they still do it but a few years ago all instructors had to be able to complete a DH slalom course within x percentage of a national team skier, good way to start culling wheat from the chaff……

stevomcd
    Free Member

ESF generally has v good instuctors, not sure if they still do it but a few years ago all instructors had to be able to complete a DH slalom course within x percentage of a national team skier, good way to start culling wheat from the chaff……

That's a whole other can of worms… it's certainly a good way to ensure that your instructors are excellent skiers, but it makes no test at all of teaching ability!

dab

Mugsy

lyon to plagne is a fair drive each day, why not just stay at aime or bourg in a guest house / b+b , prolly save more than the fuel and tolls back and forward each day ???

if you go to la plagne then Julien Favre @ Oxygene is the man… also a boarder / telemarker / diabled bob and i think he should be mountain guide certified by now , he was working on that a few seasons back

Arno was another good guy but i don't think he's there this season

either way the folk at oxygene are very passionate about snowsport..

website here
    http://www.oxygene-ski.com/la-plagne-ski-and-snowboard-school.htm

some good deals on pass / lodgings and lessons combined

ive used oxygene immobillier about 4-5 times now and parents are there using them too right now, very helpful and not mega euro either

let us know how you get on !!

@ Stevo McD ..agree the speed test is a farce and proves nothing about an instructors teaching ability / care of the client / attitude

ive seen some very good skiers in near tears by bad instructors determined to prove they could ski faster and harder than the client

also closer to home had experience with a certan high flying telemark ski instructor who runs the "skiing type here" ski.co , the person was just an ego on skis ..left half our group stranded up the cas headwall @ the gorm in mist / wind and the ladies who were with us were crapping themsleves and had equipment issues …this was on an organised back country ski fest …… as a result i would never ever recommend that any body use his services

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

"ESF generally has v good instuctors, not sure if they still do it but a few years ago all instructors had to be able to complete a DH slalom course within x percentage of a national team skier, good way to start culling wheat from the chaff…… "

Yes that is still the case, but was mainly intriduced as a way of keeping UK instructors out of French resorts back in the day. Very few (if any) Uk instructors would have had the ability to get in to the ESF.

Having looked at the ability of ski instructors all over europe, certainly the ESF instructors stand above most in terms of technical ability, although I agree being shit hot through slalom gates does not make you a good instructor.

NZCol

"ESF generally has v good instuctors, not sure if they still do it but a few years ago all instructors had to be able to complete a DH slalom course within x percentage of a national team skier, good way to start culling wheat from the chaff…… "

Ah the old equivalence. Bore no relation to be able to actually ski and/or teach. TEaching is about being able to explain and demonstrate subtle technical concepts to scared cold people with varying levels of confidence. I taught FT for a few years and while i may not be a truly amazing skiier I am a good ski teacher. I just got bored teaching hot housewives to ski on powder days*. Anyway, my advice would be find a good english speaking instructor and get some really good 1:1 every couple of days and you'll probably also find some other people to ski with.

*there were some exceptions to these rules as sometimes they got 'tired' and wanted to 'lie down' and/or drink wine at 11am. Which was fine with me as I was getting paid to drink (sensibly) with them. I have no comment on the other bits 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ski Lesson reccommendations in French Alps’ is closed to new replies.