Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ski insurance – what do you actually need for touring? Input from Fr res'ds?
  • nedrapier

– If I ping myself necessitating costly rescue outside a resort in France, rescue is provided by the govt.

– Medical expenses are covered by EU reciprocal arrangement (any exceptions?) plus I’ve got BUPA through work.

– Contents away from home are covered under Home Insurance

– We’re driving over.

So what am I actually getting for my money by paying extra for “ski mountaineering” cover? Based on the above, the only bit I’d be out of pocket on would be rescue within the resort, so why shouldn’t I just tick “normal piste skiing”?

Any ideas, input gratefully received

Ta!

– What ins. cover do French residents have for ski touring/mountaineering? If any?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you have insurance you will get the most expensive available treatment, without the cheapest

Repatriation is the main thing that you get extra with insurance

nedrapier

apparently, then I have more than double the chance of needing repatriation if I’m ski touring taking in some peaks than if I’m skiing on the piste.

Hmmm and grrr. Bloody insurance companies!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Are you sure rescue outside resort is covered by the goverment? Helicopters and everything?

nedrapier

That’s my understanding, yes. Local taxes, really, so local residents pay.

Juan? Stevo? Edukator? That right?

Crell
    Free Member

Carre Neige would seem a bit pointless (I don’t think it is) if the Gov pick up S&R and evac costs?

Basically you need to make sure you’re covered to get you located, evaced and for any private (probably in resort) treatment. EHIC only covers treatment in state hospitals, and you can’t tell the helo pilot / pisteur to drop you at the hospital of your choice.

Snowheads would be the place to ask.

nedrapier

you can’t tell the helo pilot / pisteur to drop you at the hospital of your choice

Fair point. I’ll go with Snowcard, as per usual. Length of the trip plus buying for her-outdoors as well means it’s a bit more 😯 than I’m used to.

Plus ticking the “ski mountaineering” box means it goes up even more, even though we might not do anything that isn’t covered by lower categories, and time in Cham might be spent sport climbing or sitting in the pub!

I’m usually pretty good with buying what they say I need, but when you’re looking round a residents paying a relatively cheap carte neige and not a lot else, and you’re paying 100+ for 2 and bit weeks of this and that, it starts to grate!

mugsys_m8

Free rescue outside ski resort domaines in France. Not italy. Not switz (i think) . Remember you night end up in one of thèse countries unplanned in case of bas weather, epic etc which could lead to further epics needing rescue. Cham is near thèse countries..

As à french res it is wise for us to have civil ins for day to day Life. Some incluse rescue if skiing in a resort. But ours also includes all bells and whistles.

GrahamS

Worth looking at Columbus Direct.

Not sure about Ski Touring specifically but off-piste is covered (provided you go as two or more and take a guide as required).

Rio

Worth looking at Columbus Direct

Last time I looked at them they specifically excluded search and rescue I seem to recall.

OP – On your list of things you need from insurance you didn’t include personal liability – there have been some nasty stories about skiers being held responsible for avalanches they’ve caused and in particular injuries and worse to others.

The most inclusive policies I’ve found for ski mountaineering are Snowcard and the BMC or SCGB policies.

Edukator
    Free Member

Carte Neige. Cheap, all the cover you need.

Edit: there’s a price list in most ski resorts for rescue if you’re not covered. The most expensive is 900e in the “domaine skiable” in my local resort but beyond that it’s “frais réels” which can be quite a lot if they have to search for you for days with the helicopter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ski insurance – what do you actually need for touring? Input from Fr res'ds?’ is closed to new replies.