Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ski holiday with young kids/baby – good idea or not???
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’m just trying to work out if this is a good idea or not

me – snow boarder
    mrs – beginner boarder, done 2 weeks but never really got into it. Fancies giving skiing a go instead
    child 1 – 3.5 years old
    child 2 – 4 months, still being breast fed

I have a picture i my head of me doing half days, the mrs doing a few lessons and chld 1 maybe learning or doing a bit of time in child care/kids club. Am I trying to balance too many things here? Will the reality be a very expensive week of hassle? Am i better leaving it till the kids are a bit older??

I’ve had quick snoop at esprit and mark warner, which look ok but the deal seems to be the adults leave the kids in child care all day while the adults have a holiday.

any thoughts as to if this would work out??

cheers in advance for any pointers

PL

higgo
    Free Member

If it helps we went with Mark Warner when our kids were ~18months and thought they were excellent.

I’ve seen the going on a ski holiday and ‘abandoning’ your kids topic go thermonuclear on ski forums, probably because everyone has different views on parenting (and particularly on other people’s parenting).

All I can say is that it worked really well for us and we found a balance between skiing and spending time with the kids.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muchbettertom
    Free Member

plenty of kids of child 1’s age here in morzine learning to ski… not sure what you’d do with the youngest, but there are plenty of child care companies out here too.

higgo
    Free Member

p.s. there’s no getting round the fact that it’s expensive though. Sadly we won’t be using Mark Warner again ’til we win the lottery.

Now the kids are older we have the flexibility to sort things out for ourself but we’re limited to school hols.

igm

Personal experience (which counts for nothing as all children are different)

Went at 9 months – bad idea. Very little time on the snow, very tiring.

Went again at 34 months – excellent, he loved it.

The 9 month was with Esprit and the 34 with Ski Famille. We gone again since with Ski Famille and I would recommend them. Esprit maybe didn’t get the best of chances, but sadly whether it’s them or not I have mixed memories of my holiday with them and I wouldn’t use them again.

For what it’s worth I would tend towards a nanny / chalet centric based system (Ski Famille) not a crèche based system (Esprit).

puppypower
    Free Member

We are in similar situation. Youngest is 4 months would be 6 months if we went in feb or so. Eldest is almost 2 though so too young for lessons. We are giving it a miss this year. I wouldnt be happy leaving youngest with anyone except husband and she is still breastfed as well (though will take bottle so i can leave her). I don’t think it’s worth it if we can’t even leave the kids for a day in childcare and go off together. We went when eldest was 1 and i found it hard work to be honest! He was a bit under the weather though and hence sleeping really badly but it just strikes me you just need one of them to get ill as they do and it wrecks a very expensive holiday!

scotabroad

We went a while back with a one year old and a 2 yr old.

It worked out ok but the travelling is pretty hard, it is expensive if you go for a nanny/ creche, and we couldnt stomach leaving them all day so skiing was heavily curtailed to what we would normally do.

I would say if you are a skiing fanatic and spending the extra money, getting substantially less ski time in, putting the extra work in is worth it to get the annual fix then its possible.

In hindsight for me I would skip it until they are a bit older.

When we went three years later both of them were in half day ski school, then afternoon creche where they played in the snow all day and it was brilliant! (proud dad seeing 3yr old and 4 yrs old doing parallel turns 🙂 )

bruk

We are going this year with out 1st who will be 6 months. Guess we are lucky in that we always go with a large and varied group of friends and have done for the last 14 years.

Working out cheaper for us this year as only buying 1 lift pass and it’s only costing us £79 to take the wee fella.

1 of us will ski and the other look after him along with a fair bit of company from some of our less dedicated skiers/boarders.

Realy looking forward to it!

higgo
    Free Member

When we went three years later both of them were in half day ski school, then afternoon creche where they played in the snow all day and it was brilliant! (proud dad seeing 3yr old and 4 yrs old doing parallel turns )

We’ve used the Mom’en Ski service in Le Grand Bornand for the last three years. Drop them off, then they take them to ski school, pick them up given them lunch and then they have a play until about 2pm when we’ll pick thwm up and ski with them for a bit. Last year as they were a bit older, stronger and better skiers we picked them up straight after lessons on the last three days so we could all have lunch together and ski a bit longer. Or at least that was the plan until one of our daughters broke her leg in lessons on the penultimate day.

This year we’re not bothering with any childcare, just lessons – La Clusaz tomorrow 😀 and La Tzoumaz at half term 😀

scotabroad

This year we’re not bothering with any childcare, just lessons – La Clusaz tomorrow and La Tzoumaz at half term

Jealous!

Did LA Clusaz a few years ago with Rocketski and thought it was a great wee resort and friendly too. Although hotel staff were a bit too relaxed.

unfortunately due to lack of job we will not be going this year, so its Glen Shee for us!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ski holiday with young kids/baby – good idea or not???’ is closed to new replies.