Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ski goggles – whats what?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

My wife is after some new ski goggles for xmas – gonna go Oakley with white frames so thats a given.
    What lenses are the “go to” ones? I *think* mine are persimmon? Also where is the best place to buy Oakley from?

cheers for the help on a very vague question!!

ads678

I’d go for a sunshine lens like fire or bronze iridium and a spare persimmon for dull days. It’s dead easy to change them.

momo

Persimmon lenses are a great all rounder, they’re what I use 90% of the time, I do have a dark tint (non-irridium lens) for real bright sunshine days which I can just swap into the same frames (O2 XL).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy_B

Prizm Rose for low light up to quite bright is what I will be using this year.

jambalaya
    Free Member
    iamanobody
    Free Member

I could if i were sad enough to search 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

My answer would be depends entirely when you’ll wear them, if they are your main all day wear then something with decent lenses to keep out the bright sunlight. I only wear mine in poor viz so different needs.

iamanobody
    Free Member

all day wear for sure

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Oakley Airbrakes or Anon M2 or MIG

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ideally you want lens for flat light, for good light and maybe one for night skiing if you’re into that, and spares for when you lose them, scratch them, sit on them. Any old regular stuff from a ski shop in their bargain bin, or Oakleys if you don’t mind paying for a name or you are ultra careful and won’t be buying many.

Scott tend to be the usual ones I end up with, though I’d go in a shop and try loads on. Fit is important, test whether they fit helmet properly (you are wearing a helmet right? 😉 ), check ventilation.

Best is try ones in resorts as they’ll have loads of brands and prices. UK shops will be focused on one expensive brand they like to promote.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Fit is important, test whether they fit helmet properly

This is IME, far more important than which brand.

ebennett

This is IME, far more important than which brand.

Ditto, if you’re using a helmet Oakleys are a bit awkward with some of them.

nbt

I got some Evolve goggles from Summit last year – they use a system of magnets to allow lenses to be changed easily, and the goggles cam e with a permisson (high-vis) lens as well as the darker lens pictured

Wore them for my week’s off-piste course in Flaine and was erally pleased with them, I’ve used Oakley O-frames with persimmon lenses for the past fifteen years and they’ve been ok,but these were great and the ability to swap lenses when the clouds rolled in and it started snowing (hurrah!) was really useful (as was the ability to swap back for bluebird powder days, double hurrah!)

http://www.summitworldwide.eu/shop/summit-xpose-frameless-dark-knight-orange-fire-lens/

EDIT – ex-demo stuff cheap here: http://www.summitworldwide.eu/product-category/b-stock/?ct=t(B_STOCK5_19_2016)

Alphabet

Prizm Rose all day for me.

geoffj

Defo

iamanobody
    Free Member

A frame prizm rose bought and delivered for £88

cb

If you’re anywhere near the outlet centre at Cheshire Oaks – the Oakley shop has silly discounts on goggles at the moment. I was tempted even though I haven’t skiied for 12 years!!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

+1 for the Summit Worldwide Evolve goggles. Went for silver mirrored and low light lenses. The two covered all conditions we encountered.

Lens swapping is really quick and easy. Comfy too.

Had people coming up to ask what they were all week, especially if they saw me swapping lenses. Should have been on commission.

I know you’ve bought for the wife, but surely you need some new bling too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ski goggles – whats what?’ is closed to new replies.