Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Ski Geeks – show us your fav tips
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Inspired by another thread, here are some of my favourites from the past

Dynastar Course (with red bobble that could be removed)

Rossignol Open (revolutionary in their time…apparently)

Right up to date, but was trying to find a pair of old Blizzard DH skis I used to have with cut out tips

sharkbait
    Free Member

Dynastar Course (with red bobble that could be removed)

Bloody hell that brings back memories! I used to sell those when I was a ‘ski technician’ – quite pricey as I remember. The red blob contained a little weight that rattled around and was supposed to absorb vibration.

donald
    Free Member

I had (I think) the first pair of Fischer C4 skis in the country – bought on holiday in Austria. Clear P Tex – how many admiring glances did I get!

orangespyderman

The red blob contained a little weight that rattled around and was supposed to absorb vibration.

And was a real PITA to put into a Wintersteiger grinder as you had to slip the ski in sideways…

BTW those are Marker Rotomat bindings on the Dynastars. Brilliant bindings – I had a pair of Marker MRR DIN 12-24 that I loved but was talked into selling with a pair of GS skis.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I have still have my pair of those (well the SL ones), complete with those anti vibration weights (the red triangles) and their orange bases 8)

I am a bit of a hoarder, I have ski passes going back to the 1970’s when I was a teenager

NZCol

^ nah you just had to gently lift the feeder wheel with the bar as it went on (on a Montana anyway)

IHN

I snapped the tip off a pair of Dynastar Course on a pretty heavy landing, back in the day.

My mate, who’s pride and joy they were, wasn’t impressed 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yellow snow?

beanum

Snowboards allowed?
    Late 90’s K2 Eldorado with towing eye for backcountry exploits…:-)

[img]https://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/b/e/k2-eldorado-snowboard-169cm-k2-bindings-4f9ed4df7912df3d6df7c8026f2308bb.jpg[/img]

nealglover
    Free Member

No contest for me.

Early ‘90s Salomon S9000 Equipe 1S

Raced on these and they were awesome.

Rio

I was looking for a picture of the S9000s but couldn’t find one. I hired a pair of the less radically asymmetric tipped ones in the States in the 90s. They were the latest thing, vital to improve your skiing. So which one goes on the left and which one goes on the right, I asked? Oh, don’t know, don’t think it makes any difference. 🙄

I used to have a pair of those Rossignol Opens. Great for tree skiing – ski into a tree? No problem, no damage done.

orangespyderman

They’re 3Ss, I think you’ll find 🙄 . First generation were, IMNSHO, rubbish. The PU foam core made them rattly and unpleasant to ski on. Part of the marketing to start with (oooh, monocoque, only need foam in the middle, the coque does all the work. My Arse 🙂 ), but the reality set in quickly and they got proper cores soon after that.

orangespyderman

Having said that, I do have fond memories of the (failed) attempt they made to move the size of skis away from your height using the PR sizes. Huge culture shock when short fatties ended up with skis the same size as their thinner taller friends 😆

EDIT : Personally nostalgic about these. Last full on ski I owned, enjoyed them, but was already not skiing enough to really work them (and I still lived in Avoriaz).

nealglover
    Free Member

They’re 3Ss, I think you’ll find . First generation were, IMNSHO, rubbish.

Ooooh get you mr rolly eyes. 😐

I loved them, and they worked for me.

Plus I didn’t need to pay for them, (because of my awesomeness obviously) which helped.

matt_outandabout

I thought the tips were all going to be cheapest bars, best instructor and fastest run…

orangespyderman

Plus I didn’t need to pay for them

They were still poor value for money 😀 But still, as you say, if you liked them, that’s what counts.

I had a pair of the pre-series ones in the black/white/pink/blue colours. They were a bit cooler because, well, rare, but still rubbish 😀 Had a pair of Rossi 7XK around the same time that were genuinely wonderful and knocked the S9000s out the park.

matt_outandabout

(I’ve a pair of Kastle ski’s from mid 90’s in the shed. I keep meaning to bolt their luminous tops to some kind of franken sledge..

mtbfix

Blast from the past, those orange Salomons. I wonder if my old ones are still in my dads garage…?

NZCol

From that era – K2 extremes, the multi link salomons with the arm on them to stop them flexing. Them were the days when i were an instructor – i used Rossi bandits which worked well.
    Back into it now, the gear is much better !

nealglover
    Free Member

[imghttps://i.pinimg.com/736x/ce/68/65/ce68656c1da1ae3013d27092d17c909b–things-i-love-force.jpg[/img]

Had a few different pairs of these too and they were great, loved them and as a bonus, they were cool AF.

Wether they were actuall any good or not, I’d better let an expert decide for me.

nealglover
    Free Member

Missed edit window for above.

vinnyeh

Still have these, not much excitement about the tips other than the duct tape, but fitted with Derbyflex plates under RFF bindings, a real battleship of a ski. Doubt I’d have the strength to get them on their edges these days!

[/url]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I remember seeing these for the first time, when Martin Bell brought them round before they were released and they were revolutionary, An angled sidewall and bevelled edge.

They weighed a tonne, factory skis had weight added !

Unfortunately can’t find a better picture

TheDTs
    Free Member

Also

Had a pair of Rossi 7sK around the same time that were genuinely wonderful and knocked the S9000s out the park.

Also two pairs of K2 KVC’s before the 7SK lovely skis.

Ended up borrowing a pair of Dynastar Max CUT, demo skis for a while. That changed everything. They could have used a riser though, booted out loads.

Those Marker bindings weighed loads, but when fixed to any of those massive skis, it made little difference, I suppose.. Was always a Salomon binding fan.

TheDTs
    Free Member

FD, Also had some of them. Great to ski on
    Eges were in sections and were troublesome in less that optimum conditions.
    Also a PITA to put in a vice & service.

The KVC’s were insurance replacements for the RC4’s which were pinched along with my dads car, my boots and all the rest of mine and my mates kit, when we were at an ESC race in Sunderland.

Edukator
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered to post a pic but I liked the aluminium protection on the tips of Dynastar Omeglas slalom skis. I’m still using them.

cchris2lou

I had the Dynastar course , the gold and white version .

then the Salomon . great skis .

Dynamic VR 27 were very popular too with good skiers .

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

replacements for the RC4’s which were pinched along with my dads car, my boots and all the rest of mine and my mates kit, when we were at an ESC race in Sunderland.

You know I’m sure I remember hearing about that whilst at the same race meeting! Always liked Sunderland slope. You were at a high point of Sunderland and could see all the stolen cars been driven about. Really was that bad ! 😆

I used K2 KVC’s (pink ones) and then Volkl P9’s / P10’s, still have some P10’s in the loft

Murray

A happy 6 weeks in Whistler

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I can remember when those Salomons up there came out, only the rich kids had them.

Think they were a love / hate thing. When I eventually got to try them I thought they were rubbish, in fact I think it’s taken years for Salomon to produce half decent skis.

Murray

They were about the same price as everything else in Whistler at the time. Really good for bashing through heavy wet snow. A couple of year later I tried touring on them – good on the way down, torture on the way up!

scaredypants

Raced on these and they were awesome

Had an afternoon on a hired pair once (after breaking my AWESOME rossi 4s) – grabby to the max, but christ they’d turn on anything

the P10s up there – my brother hired a pair one year (all 5’9″ and 10 stone of him). We took some photos of him with tips & tails on 2 moguls and ZERO flex in between

still in my garage – never really like them

TheDTs
    Free Member

FD. Yes we had driven from Bristol and the gear was all pinched after the non seeded race on the Saturday. We got a lift to the slope from the Washington hotel in some blokes 6 wheel range rover and borrowed kit to race in. As you can Imagine a total waste of time.
    The car, a Sierra 4×4 estate, showed up having been used in an armed payroll heist!
    What club did you race with?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was with Lions/Harrogate/Yorkshire Squad.

Murray I wasn’t referring to the X-scream things, the racing skis higher up.

However didn’t like those X-Screams either way too much torsional flex, designed to help bad skiers stay up right in softer snow and nothing more

yiman
    Free Member

Had these for a while…

orangespyderman

nealglover – sorry if I offended you, that wasn’t my intention with the rolly eyes (which were actually directed at me for correcting you rather than at you for being wrong some 20 odd years later) or any of the rest. I didn’t like them, you did, but I hope you don’t think I mind at all that you did 🙂 .

A mate of mine got the Force 9 boots with the fleece liners and regularly complained how damn hot they were 😀

I’ll disagree (politely, this time, I hope 🙂 ) about the X-screams – they challenged the market by really producing a high-end ski designed to make average skiers have more fun; and together with the 1080s opened up a real rethink of some things that a lot of manufacturers took for granted (as did the Axe Cleaver with the bonkers Hangl plate; before the manufacturers cottoned on to radically waisted SL skis, and before the FIS rules were adjusted, quite a lot of people I knew were already looking at the Axe Cleaver’s potential in slalom).

Some nostalgia hearing about Silksworth – spent quite a few weekends up there on various ESC coaching events with John and Chris Exall. Harrogate too, but a whole lot less.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered to post a pic

Long day darling 😐 ?

It’s a ski nostalgia thread ffs

andybrad

I had the last of the F9 s3 ones. They were awsome! i gave up after that

the equips were properly sexy though.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Ski Geeks – show us your fav tips’ is closed to new replies.