• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Skewers..hope or DT swiss
  • dubber71
    Free Member

I have DT Swiss skewers as standard on my Cube SL but was thinking of changing them to hope instead.
    Is it worth it???
    Would you bother?
    Cheers,Paul

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Shimano ones for the win

Basil

Thinking I’m changing to DT Swiss RWS

onlysteel
    Free Member

If you really must: Salsa.

RustyNissanPrairie

Hope QR’s are crap – the cam action/point is rubbish. Stick with DT

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shimano XT if you must change them. There’s nothing any better then a Shimano QR

dvatcmark
    Free Member

+1 for XT

YoKaiser
    Free Member

+2 for XT.

nickdavies

DT Swiss RWS. No cam lock lever beats it, stick to what you’ve got!

akira

Salsa or XT

drlex
    Free Member

If they were DT Swiss levers like this, then I’d be changing them.

oliverracing

shimano qr to fit budget.

:end of thread:

iainc

Slight hijack, but wondering what skewers to give a bit more security on CDF 30 – these hubs :

Formula CL-92/CL-14251 Sealed Bearing

Thanks

Sorry for hijack 😀

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Salsa are the bees knees if qr front and rear is your thang.

Just sold a useless new style rear hope.

Went to a DT Swiss RWS 10mm qr axle which is the one that bloke in the link talks about.
    They’re good and well thought out I reckon.

If budget is key then Shimano should definitely be on the list as they’re some of the best feeling secure fitment ime.

dubber71
    Free Member

Thanks for the response
    What would you buy if money wasn’t an issue?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

XTR

I’ve got a rear M950 I’ve had for years, been on a million bikes, just quality, and a front M960 that i picked up cheap on eBay thats on the front of my Krampus,

replaced the ENVE ones on my road bike after 2 weeks with the cheap Shimano ones, Shimano ones really are a different class, even the budget ones

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

replaced the ENVE ones on my road bike after 2 weeks with the cheap Shimano ones, Shimano ones really are a different class, even the budget ones

Did you find they stiffened things up at all? I’ve got a customer with some seriously expensive Enve cabin rims on King hubs than they’re too flexy….

iainc

Just ordered a pair of XT’s on the back of this thread to replace the Formula ones on my CDF30 🙂

lunge

Money no object? XTR, or Dura-Ace for the road bike. There are no better QR’s in my eyes.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I’m using cheap Shimano ones (Deore?) and they’re great. The enclosed cam is pretty much solid. Never had much luck with other types of skewer.

flossie
    Free Member

Tried hope…. Dreadful… absolute crap!
    Pea and I have 5 mtb’s between us and all are using XT. Smooth solid reliable and not heavy. Plus, they look tidy too, but I guess that’s a matter of opinion.

otsdr
    Free Member

Hope skewers are pretty much the worst you could get, except for the generic skewers with plastic underneath the cam. Stick with the DTs.

nickc

Hope are fine now. They used to be a bit dicey, but they changed the tooth profile of the face, and they don’t rotate any more.

Didn’t Shimano have to recall some?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Did you find they stiffened things up at all? I’ve got a customer with some seriously expensive Enve cabin rims on King hubs than they’re too flexy….

Never noticed any flex in the rims either road or mtb

DezB
    Free Member

Once I learned how to do up the DT Swiss ones properly (there were no instructions! 😳 ), I found them very reliable and well secured.

If they were DT Swiss levers like this, then I’d be changing them.
    Er, something damaged in a crash no longer functions properly. How surprising and terrible. Must crash test all my parts and see what danger it causes. Weird.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never noticed any flex in the rims either road or mtb

Ok cheers. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

is that another of your wheel builds ??? 🙂

A 9mm axle and DT RWS skewers does ‘stiffen’ must the front end compared to QR or even a 9mm QR, like superstar, as the torque you can get is much higher.

I have some SIDs forks with a casting error – neither the QR or the 9mm QR shows it up, but the DT RWS does up so tight the casting error shows up and the wheel doesn’t sit in the middle of the forks anymore.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Both road bikes are Campagnolo throughout, and bearing in mind Mr Campag invented the q/r, both are rocking Shimano qrs, as are the off road bikes that need ’em.

One place I really don’t feel the need to make it lighter and pimpier. Tried Hope before, they were horrible.

iainc

on a related matter. I have Askium’s on the road bike, with Mavic QR’s – would changing to Shimano road qr’s be a good thing to do ? and if so which ones ?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Skewers..hope or DT swiss’ is closed to new replies.