Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Skewer spring
  • lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

On each side there is a spring. Are they really needed?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not absolutely necessary but they help centre the skewer when you’re putting a wheel in and make the job a little easier

duncancallum

No. They just help to release the wheel

garage-dweller

Not needed. The skewer for our follow me trailer link thing doesn’t have them and that gets subjected to much bigger stresses than a regular qr.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Thanks for your answers

Stevet1
    Free Member

when you buy a skewer you get the springs with them or do you have to buy them separately?

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

They come with the skewer. Always worth keeping the old ones as spares. I’ve mangled one of them so removed it. It just makes taking the wheel off a wee bit trickier.

DezB
    Free Member

when you buy a skewer you get the springs with them or do you have to buy them separately?

You get them with the skewer as they are skewer brand specific.

IHN

You get them with the skewer as they are skewer brand specific.

Careful with the Chris King ones though ‘cos they’ll score the skewer. Not that Chris King will admit it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Loving my QR springs ATM but concerned when I go to 650b plus they won’t be strong enough, anyone know where I can get stronger springs from – preferably Hope?

IHN

Yeah, Hope would be better and they’re made in England, and Hope will replace them for free when they break ‘cos their customer service is great.

They’re definetely better than the Shimano ones that dont break and work for much longer

matt_outandabout

I only have one in.

It means the skewer sits over to one side, inside the ‘lawyer tabs’ – if QR is not done up, it is one last *thread* of hope that the wheel won’t pop out of the fork dropouts.

nikk
    Free Member

Yeh, because Shimano stuff never breaks… said no one, ever.

Also, when your Shimano spring breaks (and it will), you can’t buy a replacement, you need to buy a whole new skewer and hub.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Loving my QR springs ATM but concerned when I go to 650b plus they won’t be strong enough, anyone know where I can get stronger springs from – preferably Hope?

This was a joke, right?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I wondered that….

cakefacesmallblock

Generally a huge Hope fan, but, to be honest, the springs with their qr , on both sets I’ve had , were rubbish in comparison with Shimano ones, they just deformed and became non springs, to the point where I used ancient Shimano ones on one pair of Hope skewers.
    It just work on the principle, skewers come with springs , so I use them.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I have fair few Hope QRs sets.Springs are not to good these days.

avdave2

Are you saying Hope springs not eternal?

cakefacesmallblock

^^ Very good !

Stevet1
    Free Member

Interestingly I saw some prototype springs from Fox at fox premier dealership yesterday. They are designed for fat bikes and are thicker/wider than normal springs and so also require a larger dropout slot – 12.5mm. Hopefully this will make it over to normal frames as well because I’ve often thought what was holding me back was my current wimpy looking QR springs.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yep, you’re deffo trolling!

IHN

I’m not sure who’s serious and who’s not on this thread, and I wrote half of it 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

avdave2 is the only winner on this thread.

Sundayjumper

+1 for avdave2. I liked that 😀

bigblackshed

I take the springs off. I can’t be doing with all of the extra weight. I saved 4grams. It was so worth it.

Serious question. Can I get some Ti or carbon springs? The added functionality and low weight would be a bonus.

Stevet1
    Free Member

You can make some carbon springs yourself – simply take a potato peeler to you carbon frame and you will get a nice length of carbon springiness which can be cut to length – maybe even enough left over to sell on ebay.

bigblackshed

I’m not sure if I have the skills required to make a cone spring. I could probably make regular diameter springs with enough practice.

But I don’t have a carbon frame to experiment on. Can I borrow someone’s please?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Skewer spring’ is closed to new replies.