Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Skelf Bike Park in Edinburgh – Open Day June 19th. BBQ, Beer, Bikes and Bands!
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m part of a project to build a bike park in some woods in Dumbiedykes in Edinburgh. The park is called The Skelf.

It’s been a long road but the end is in sight – planning permission/lease sorted, funding sorted and just about to put out the tender for companies to build it this September.

As part of the Edinburgh Festival of Cycling we’ve got an open day at the park on Sunday June 19th so people can come and see the place and speak to us, find out what’s going on etc.
    We had the guys from Architrail and Velosolutions out looking at the site this week and giving us tips on what needs to be done:

There will be a mobile pump track and a bunch of BMXs for you to use, got a few bands playing, there will be beer and I will be doing a BBQ. As an ex-professional sausage slinger (long story) I can guarantee some tasty food. I’ll be behind the grill so come say hi (that’s me on the right of the pic above)

It’s from 12 onwards and the park is next to the Crags Sports Centre in St Leonards/Dumbidykes.

More info on the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1040056119377232/

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ll be there but you knew that. First dibs on the sausages.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

OK, I got a couple of details wrong. Starts at 10!

Here’s the info:
    As part of the annual Edinburgh Festival of Cycling we’re having our annual Skelf open day.

Come along and see the woods and the works we’ve done, have something to eat and drink, have a go on a pump track: http://www.biketrackpeople.com/pump_track_what/ and listen to some great bands – Bristol Branch http://www.facebook.com/BristolBranch playing their local take on Brazilian Forro whilst Freddie Thompson will be flying with members of the Sandy Bells All-star session band.

There’s also heritage tours round the site, bushcraft sessions with bow drilling prize giveaways on the wheel of fortune and an auction where you can get signed copies of Chris Hoys book Flying Fergus or a Revolution Bike Stand from Edinburgh Bike Co op.

Families more than welcome, positively encouraged in fact!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Well, the open day went great.

Loads of people and kids around and a good atmosphere.

Had some pretty manic work during the week with the diggers getting the site ready and were a bit worried about it being a mudbath but managed to put down two tipper loads of gravel on Saturday afternoon.

I was up at 5AM roasting garlic to go on the kebabs, setting up the pump track at 8.30 and manically dishing out sausages and burgers for a few hours from behind my old hot dog cart.

So busy I didn’t really get many good pics. Just one in fact!

Here’s some others I pinched off FB.

My nephew on the pump track on his balance bike:

General shots:

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Twas a good day. I managed to scoff my fathers day curry before falling asleep.

jimmy

Roasted Garlic on the kebabs? I hope they were sourdough pittas.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

They were on sticks. Marinaded some haloumi in oil and a cajun spice mix I made, roasted garlic bulbs in salt and oil, mushrooms and bell peppers. We even rustled up a second grill and set of utensils for the veggies.

I’m such a nice guy.

It was great to see the place like that though instead of just a bunch of us fannying around with shovels.

Can really start to imagine it being full of kids having fun on a sunny Saturday – busy like Saughton skate park

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Skelf Bike Park in Edinburgh – Open Day June 19th. BBQ, Beer, Bikes and Bands!’ is closed to new replies.