Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • SKA
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Specials were on Jools Holland the other day, so I’ve got into them (Again!). I do have a penchant for a likkle bitta Ska, but I need some new (or old) stuff I’ve not heard before….

Suggestions? 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

What do you know?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Spunge are pretty good…

Danny79
    Free Member

The Planet Smashers

meehaja
    Free Member

some newer stuff,

The slackers
    Tim Armstrong
    Hepcat
    Pie Tasters
    Aggrolites
    sublime

also loads of ska punk stuff from the last decade,

try
    Less than jake
    NOFX
    Streetlight manifesto
    Goldfinger
    etc etc

HTH

(Edit: I own both a pork pie hat and a fred perry polo shirt, and regularly enjoy some old moon stomping!)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Prince Buster

Desmond Dekker

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What do you know?

Oh, the old stuff like The Specials, The Selecta and a lot of the more modern punky stuff – Snuff, Save Ferris that sort of thing. I was also given a CD of old ska instrumentals, which is fantastic, but FFS don’t ask me to remember any of the tracks!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The original ska of the 60s?

Skalites – Guns of navarone
    Roland Alphonso – Phoenix city
    Baba Brooks – Guns Fever
    Delroy wilson – Dancing mood
    Edit – Anton Ellis

More recently the bluebeats – somewhere between roots reggae and ska

ourmaninthenorth

TJ – nice choices. Esp Delroy “Cool Operator” Wilson.

Don’t forget Toots and the Maytals.

PP – check out the Trojan records boxsets of all the original styles. I like Ska (and I do like the whole TwoTone take on it), but prefer Rocksteady.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m liking the Planet Smashers 🙂 (Preview on iTunes)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Skalites – Guns of navarone

That’s on that sampler CD I’ve got actually. Very good. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – check out the Trojan records boxsets of all the original styles. I like Ska (and I do like the whole TwoTone take on it), but prefer Rocksteady

Right. Dumb question. Rocksteady is another style not a band, yes? 😳

Danny79
    Free Member

Saw them a few years back at Nexus in Southampton really sound guys, bought a couple of albums Unstopable and No Self Control off them. Great for roadtrips.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rich – Spunge – Bang on! Love it! 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

try some Trojan Records compilations.. Trojan Ska is a damn fine place to start as it will zip you straight back to 50’s Jamaica and the birth of Ska with a few of the earlier Calypso tunes that influenced the Ska sound..

what you won’t find on this particular compilation is the very British two tone sound made popular by t
    the likes of the Specials..

but it’s a nice bit of education

EDIT: DOH! someone has already said it..

soma_rich
    Free Member

Check out spunge – Kicking pigeons. Love that track 🙂

theotherjonv

Toots and the Maytals and the Specials live from their recent tour are 2 CD’s that never leave my car.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PP – yes – rocksteady was another step on the way from calypso to reggae

Alton Ellis that I mentioned is rocksteady really – see his song “rocksteady”

sobriety
    Free Member

have a look for ‘A Pack of Dogs’ by Lightyear.

loddrik
    Free Member

DJ Zinc – SKA. Brilliant!

damion
    Free Member

Random Hand are one of my favourites at the moment

faint
    Free Member

podcasts.
    ska and reggaeshirts, old stuff i like
    skacast uk, i don’t get on with this but you might

yunki
    Free Member

try Los Albertos and Melosa if you can find any of their stuff..
    also The Simmertones.. the Ratfinks are worth a try for something a bit more unusual

hora
    Free Member

If anyone would run me off a compilation etc on disc I’d pay/send pressies 🙂

I’ve always admired/liked Ska but have no idea where to start etc properly.

yunki
    Free Member

blaggers guide to ska

that should get you started

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Another vote for the Slackers. Check out – Redlight.

And Rancid – Life Won’t Wait is an underrated classic.

Oh, and the Clash!

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Oh, go on then, <shameless plug>I played Saxophone on this album</shameless plug>

But don’t listen to the lyrics because they’re not great.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some good stuff here, thanks chaps! 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Love a bit of Ska. Went to see this lot a couple of years ago. They played loads of classics, and some of this sort of stuff. T’was mental.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-7TIZOeEA[/video]

Have you seen me skanking? Y’know, really skanking?!?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That is weird Elf

Dunk10
    Free Member

Sonic boom six are well worth a listen!

cheese@4p

Owter zeds

Ben_mw

Saw a band called Bombscare at a festival during the summer who were excellent – no idea what they sound like on a recording mind…

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

If you like Bombskare then you should check out The Amphetameanies

Another fine Scottish Ska band.

mboy
    Free Member

Here’s a funny story for you PP…

I was in a bar in Leamington Spa (where I used to live) one night with a mate. This drunk girl in her 20’s was making a bit of a racket, not harming anyone or anything, but just a bit loud. Me and my mate thought nothing of it, but then a woman who was with her, 40’s, dark hair, still very attractive, came over to us… She began to apologise for her friend’s drunken ramblings and began chatting to me and my mate.

A few minutes had passed when we started talking about music. Now my mate is an accomplished producer and songwriter, and also an incredible bassist, and I’ve been a DJ for a long time by this point too, so music is a subject we both had a lot to talk about. She started saying about how much she loved all sorts of different music, but the bar we were in was playing a lot of House music and she said she had really got into that over the past few years (que me being able to talk to her about house music for about the next hour!)… It was at this point she says to me “have you ever heard of a band called The Specials?”… To be fair to her, I’d gotta be 20 years younger, but I replied “Yeah of course I have, Ska band, from Coventry, just down the road”… So she replied “Yeah well, the lead singer, Terry Hall, he’s my ex husband!” 😯

Now oddly enough, my mate has done a few random remixes in the past, one of which was a Drum & Bass remix of the Specials “Ghost Town” which actually got aired on Radio 1 some time back… Quite funny that…

Ended up chatting to her for what must have been the best part of 2 1/2 hours, she gave me her number too! Moved out of Leamington shortly after though…

yunki
    Free Member

the olive branch ska punk reggae facebook group daily interesting musical links delivered to your facebook page

snowslave

Hora just go into kingbee records and ask them

RealMan
    Free Member

Massive streetlight manifesto and cat empire fan here. Reel big fish have had a few moments, but not comparable to streetlight IMO. NOFX have some cool songs too.

Streetlight manifesto are the ska band to listen to though.

snowslave

Trojan do a load of box sets with good info sheets if you want a handy intro to some proper ska

yunki
    Free Member

punk and disorderly podcast

90 mins packed full of good grass roots ska

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘SKA’ is closed to new replies.