Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sizing up Giant Trance 27.5 2015
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Seen a size medium I,m interested in but I,m only 5,6 and a bit!Long or short reach?I guess the equivalent of size 18 might be stretching things/me a bit.Thanks for any advice.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’m 5’8 and have a medium Trance, I’d say you could get away with it, theres possibility of running a shorter stem if you felt stretched.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m 5 6 and ride a small Anthem. I’m short legs, long torso, and at times wish I’d gone medium

scuttler

Top bargain innit! Good job my shopping mate’s 6ft 5.

tpbiker
    Free Member

5-8 and ride a medium with a 50 mm stem. As long as you have enough room for a dropper I think you’ll be fine.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks all.Anybody know what Scuttlers on about?

kiksy
    Free Member

I’m 5.6 and a bit and ride a small. I demod a medium for 2 weeks before I got the small. Totally rideable but I prefered the small.

I do have fairly short legs.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Fair point kiksy,do you think I’ll need a shorter stem?There’s also the issue of the dropped post to consider.

kiksy
    Free Member

The oem stem is 70 mm, to keep up with the Jones’s I now have a 50’m.

It was back in 2014 I had the demo medium so it’s hard to remember exactly what it was like, I just remember as soon as I got the small I knew I’d made the right choice. I do think it’s down to personal opinion and fit rather than a hard and fast rule. I was quite happy riding around on the medium and as you say you can get a shorter stem.

Oh the small came with 170mm cranks and I think the medium is 175mm.

As for dropper I had an issue getting a 125 mm reverb low enough on the small, which I solved by removing the Connectamagik thing:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/reverb-stealth-the-black-connector-bit-what-does-it-do

From memory I think I worked it out Thomson posts would never work for me as they are too long, but most others would. On a medium I reckon you’ll be fine.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Was the reach ok but the leg length an issue I have 29 inch inside leg.

renton
    Free Member

FWIW I fond the large Trance which was correct size for me according to the Giant sizing chart to small to be honest(As did everyone on here when I put a picture up)

Also it was very low at the front compared to anything else I have ridden.

kiksy
    Free Member

Was the reach ok but the leg length an issue I have 29 inch inside leg.

My Inside leg is 76cm , arms 60cm if that helps.

karlwoof
    Free Member

i’m 5,6 and ride a small and it is perfect!

SirHC

I have a large trance and am 6ft, I also have a large Reign which is equivalent to an XL trance. When seated, the distance between my saddle and bars (in drop and length) is the same. The difference comes when you stand up, the Trance is 20mm shorter in the reach which is noticable. What I’m saying is you can do a lot with saddles and stems to shorten/lengthen bikes.

The large trance will be more stable at speed compared to the medium, the only concern would be the seat tube height and being able to get the dropper post low enough. The 2015 giant dropper has a 25mm layback (I think) which will make it difficult to get the seat close enough to the bars, a reveb is inline so gets round this potential issue. You will almost certainly want a stem shorter than 50mm, probably close to 35mm.

Also it was very low at the front compared to anything else I have ridden.

Its useful to have the option of running the bars low without having to run negative rise stems and bars!. 120~mm head tube on a large is a pretty sensible number. I sold my Sherpa as I couldn’t get the bars low enough!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sizing up Giant Trance 27.5 2015’ is closed to new replies.